Theoretical Question

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by adrynalyne, Apr 30, 2010.

1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    So Incredible owners, lets just set a theoretical situation.

Say the Incredible was running stock Android, and you didn't care about the camera.

Would you still upgrade over the Droid, and if so, why?

Is it Sense that is attracting everyone?

I'm trying to get an accurate feel for the allure of the phone.

2. shamus

shamus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I just got back from the VZW store with full intentions of paying full retail...I walked out with my Droid in my hand. Granted it's not stock.
    I can honestly say that my droid ran better than the floor model I played with. I think if it was running vanilla Android that thing would be a BEAST. But I really just wasn't impressed with the speed that everyone is raving about.
    I did like a couple things about it though. The feel and size just felt right in my hand. I definitely liked that alot. And the camera was AWESOME. It's what the Droid camera should have been. You point it at something and you can actually take that picture. Not what the camera decides to shoot two seconds later. But I think we all know the Droid camera is far from great.

3. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the feedback :)

4. shamus

shamus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I know you were asking Incredible owners, which isn't me, but I literally JUST got back and needed to get that out.
    But I'm SURE they will be here soon enough trying to debunk everything I just said.
    Don't get me wrong, it was a nice phone. But for someone like me that usually does full retail it's definitely not worth the money over the Droid.

5. gatorbait

gatorbait Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from the Droid, but my reason for upgrading primarily dealt with form factor. I don't use the physical keyboard and I didn't care for the Droid's extra thickness and weight.

That's not to say that was the only reason, just the primary reason. Let's put it this way: if it was exactly the same as the Droid but with the Incredible form factor, I wouldn't have upgraded. If it had the same specs as the Incredible, but with the Droid's form factor, I also wouldn't have upgraded. So will it was the primary reason, it also wasn't a deciding factor alone.

Other factors included:

1. Sense: My biggest issues with stock Android after playing with it for 6 months is that it still seems rough around the edges aesthetics-wise. I've only been using Sense for 2 days, but have found so many refreshing upgrades over stock Android, and it has already alleviated some of the stock problems I've submitted to Google support. I'm going to find it hard to go back to stock until Google pushes out some awesome stock updates.

2. Processor: The Droid basically seems like the last high-end smartphone that is going to lack a 1Ghz+ processor (Snapdragon or otherwise), and it seems like some apps and UI upgrades are taking these faster chips into account. I was actually surprised at how much smoother the Incredible was compared to the Droid when I tested it out at the Verizon store earlier this week.

3. Camera: This is a distant third, and almost a non-issue for me. It is going to be nice to get quality pictures from my camera phone now, but I'm not a heavy camera user to begin with.

6. Dustinmj

Dustinmj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from Droid because I'm a technology whore.

Ram + Proc + Form Factor. Sense was a downside to me until I used it on the DI. I don't like the curves of the N1 it just looks too 'girly', if you will (just my opinion).

Vanilla Android on the DI and I would have had slightly less hesitation.

7. shamus

shamus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    That's for sure. Vanilla android and I may be $529 in the hole right now.

8. Dustinmj

Dustinmj Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have been converted, though. FWIW

Sense is SICK on the DI.

9. GodDriven

GodDriven Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's Called Qualcomm's Snapdragon, 1gig.. and the 748MB out of the 1Gig chip of RAM installed.. And the 8GB of internal.. Which we have the 6.60 left of.. Dude.. the list goes on, WITHOUT Sense BEING mentioned.. :icon_ banana:

And dear lord this is "LIGHTER" per say than the N1.. Jesus is that the biggest factor..

10. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the feedback folks, exactly what I was looking for.

Processor speed isn't important to me when a 1ghz snapdragon performs the same as my 1ghz cortex-a8.

Also,, it only has 512mb of ram, and wont have access to all of that until HTC ships a new kernel, or its rooted and we can install our own.

11. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5

Does it appear to bog the phone at all? I know its probably hard to judge when it can't be turned off.

12. Dustinmj

Dustinmj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the thing... if I saw even a shred of evidence that it's bogging down the device, I would be screaming from the rooftops about how much Sense sucks. Fact is, it's lightning fast... I have yet to notice the slightest amount of lag/bog... It just rocks! It's also gorgeous, and IMO way more usable than vanilla android... which doesn't hurt at all :)