1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Theming Swype in Gingerbread Roms

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by drrickryp, Jan 24, 2011.

1. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

Since Gingerbread came out, I cannot get Swype themed. I have the official beta Swype and have not had any problems theming it in the past. Prior to this January, i was able to move com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk from the data\apps to \system\apps and theme it with metamorph. Now it starts FC'ing like crazy. Nothing i have tried has worked. Anyone successfully themed Swype beta recently? If so , could you reveal how to do it please.
  2. T-Dev

T-Dev New Member

same issue for me. hope someone knows how to fix :)
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Have you gone back to FroYo and had the same experience - it might not be the Android O/S that is causing the problem, it might be the newer version of Swype -
  4. T-Dev

T-Dev New Member

works well in Froyo. must be a GB issue with this version of Swype
  5. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

Could be a coincidence because swype updated about the same time as GB came out. I didn't want to go back to Froyo. I'm loving the speed of GB and haven't looked back since I updated.
  6. droidcruzer

droidcruzer New Member

I can pick apart the apk and color the keyboards, it seems to work for any droid OS.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

I have tried and even if I make a slight change to any of the files with ninjamorph it won't work once it is recompiled. The file is com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk in the /data/app directory. It's the official beta not the oem version.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
  8. droidcruzer

droidcruzer New Member

I use a tool called apk manager to decompile and recompile the apk. With that tool you can resign the apk which is what I found the issue to be when trying to install a modified apk.
  9. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

Nope. Tried theming and resigning with APK manager but that didn't work either. If anyone has found a method for theming the com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk file in the /data/app directory from the latest version of Swype beta, I would love to find out how to do it. By the way, the free beta download for Swype is still open.
  10. droidcruzer

droidcruzer New Member

If you can get me the apk and tell me what colors you want the keys and the swype path to be, I can try it for you.
  11. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

Evidently the key is in the installer being able to register the themed swype. I've tried to freeze the installer just before it registers the program and swap a themed version for the downloaded one but that didn't work. Anyone have an idea?

12. brewcrewwheels

brewcrewwheels New Member

fwiw, i've always had the most success with apk manager by treating every .apk like a system .apk (e.g. retaining the original signature and pushing)
  13. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

I've tried and out didn't work. I think the beta is still open. I challenge anyone to theme the current beta swype and post the steps they took in doing it.

14. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

Is no one up for this challenge?

:icon_ poke:
  15. droidcruzer

droidcruzer New Member

I didn't hear back about what colors were wanted. I don't mind taking the challenge.
  16. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

17. balthuszar

balthuszar New Member

i'm looking for a swype theme similar to this...maybe a little bit more purple-y

Attached Files:

18. drrickryp

drrickryp New Member

I Did It!!

I was able to theme the new beta Swype on my DINC! This only applies to the current Swype beta version. Check out the Swype | Text Input for Screens page to see if this version applies to you.

Thanks to Marurban for the info on how to do this. Check out his thread in xda-developers ( [SKIN]Gingerbread SWYPEv0.3(QVGA/HVGA/WVGA/FWVGA 2.6/2.15)+How to change marker color - xda-developers ) for more information and how to mod the marker (not included below).

Here's how I did it:

Start by completely installing the stock beta from the Swype webpage ( Swype | Text Input for Screens ).If you already have the beta on your phone you can skip this step.As of this post, the beta is still open.
    Uncheck the swype box in Settings\Language & keyboard.

Resources needed:
    Apk Manager 4.9 ( Apk Manager 4.9 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers ),
    A modded swype file with your choice of keyboard. I used Marurban's file 2.15 v0.3 <contains QVGA/HVGA/WVGA - with microphone> download @ http://turbobit.net/v8kzrk0i56k6.html but there are many modded metamorph swype files available for downloading like those at AndroidSPIN ยป Swype Keyboard Meta Morph Themes for Your Samsung Vibrant They worked fine on my DINC
    optional: extremely helpful utility program --> Android Commander 0.7.9.9 beta by PanPiotr, trust me you'll love it. This is a small, fast inituitive application for managing files and apps on a rooted device via ADB without typing commands or mounting the SD card. http://androidcommander.com/forum/vi...=66&p=139#p139

1) install Apk Manager 4.9 and follow the one time installation directions. It creates all of the necessary folders and files. Note the location of the new apkmanager directory.
    2) install Android Commander and open it.(these steps are done in Android Commander)
    a) in the right hand panel go to /data/app and select com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk, if it is -2.apk it doesn't matter, but substitute -2 in the following instructions. Maintain consistency.
    b) in the left hand panel navigate to \apkmanager\place-apk-here-for-modding
    3) copy com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk to the left hand panel
    4) rename com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk in the right hand panel to com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.bak
    5) com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk should be in the place-apk-here-for-modding folder.
    6) shrink down Android Commander but leave it open, you will need it later

(these steps are done in APK Manager)
    7) Navigate to the apkmanager folder, you remember where it is don't you?
    8) run script.bat, enter 19 select compression level,
    9) then type 0, enter.
    10) Now type 22 to set current project and choose the number of the com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk and enter it. It will be number 1 if you have not used APK manager before
    11) then choose 9 to decompile. Wait a bit it can take a couple of minutes.
    12) in Windows, go to folder: projects > app_folder_name > assets > keyboards
    13) open your modded metamorph swype file (the zip file with the keyboards already themed) and navigate within the zip file to >assets > keyboards
    14) copy the keyboard files from a modded version of swype over the ones in the apkmanager > projects > com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk > keyboards folder. I used Gingerbread 2.15 SWYPE skin by Marurban in the WVGA folder. see above in the resources (DINC uses WVGA)
    15) Now back to the APK manager console and type 11 to compile apk, wait a bit and when asked if this is a system apk file, type y. When asked about mistakes in the next query type n.
    16) the final command is 12 to sign the apk. Once it is signed, you can close APK manager.
    17) go to folder "place-apk-here-for-modding" and you will find a new file called signedcom.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk. This is the new signed and modded swype file.

18) Open the swype installer on the phone. Since you renamed the com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk to .bak in step 4, the installer will re-download another stock version of swype. Install it to the point where it licenses the new downloaded version but stop and don't enable it. Leave the installer on the phone open.

Now back to Android Commander:
    19) Refresh the right hand screen by going back to the parent (\data\) folder then back to \data\app. Do the same on the left hand screen.
    20) scroll down to the com.swype.android.inputmethod-x.apk It may have a different number suffix like -2.apk. Mine did.
    21) delete the unmodded com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk file on the left hand screen and rename the signedcom.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk in the left hand screen to be identical name as in the right hand screen including case. It should be all lower case.
    22) copy the com.swype.android.inputmethod file in the left hand screen over the one in the right hand screen and close Android Commander.
    23) Go back to your phone and complete the android installation process. You should now have a modded version of swype on your phone. There may be easier ways to do it but this worked for me.

Give a man some fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life -- Terry Prachett - Discworld

Attached Files:

19. kwest12

kwest12 Member

Holy smokes, that's a really intense process!!! I really was hoping to try this out but man, I don't know if I can justify taking that much time to do it lol. Thanks for providing all the info if I do decide to give it a shot. :)
  20. Saod

Saod New Member

Can't download it ...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page

themed swipe for gingerbread