Theming help

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Diordna, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Diordna

Diordna Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm a complete beginner at this, just letting you know.

I hear linux's are a LOT better than windows, but I have windows and the tutorial I followed was linux, but said should pretty much be the same. Anyways I did something wrong.

Lets simplify it real fast.

I moved the calculator.apk to the root of SD. Put it to PC desktop. Renamed it .zip so I can extract it, res folder edited png, saved the pdf to png, overwright it, then i was told to highlight everything that was extracted and right click, press compress something which created a "resource.zip" which I renamed to calculator.apk, dragged it to droid and replaced the older one there, moved it back to original spot in /system/app, overwright again and now the calculator app is gone from app drawer. and in root explorer when trying to install it is saying a warning sign something about not installing.

I can give a crap about getting the calculator back lol that's why I used it. But I need help understanding this more.

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I am not too sure, but your issue might be in altering the app. I would highly suggest you download 7zip - it is a free program LIKE winzip that will open APK files without having to alter them in any way. So heres a quick run-down (i use windows too, it's fine!):

1. ADB Pull the APK you want to edit.
    2. Make a backup of the APK just in case.
    3. Open the APK in 7zip and drag the "res" folder to your desktop.
    4. Edit whatever PNG file you want.
    5. Drag the "res" folder back into 7zip to replace.
    6. ADB Push the APK to your phone (best to do this in recovery mode with system mounted)
    7. Boot up and enjoy!

3. Diordna

Diordna Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't understand adb to much, I'm told I need the SDK but I think I downloaded that awhile back but idk what to do lmao
    Your way sounds easy though, glad you use windows too lol

This is what I was pretty much using:

How to theme your Android apps - D-Com Forums

I'll try to understand what to do before the instructions you posted so I can begin adb lol:)