Theming Guide for changing system text settings.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I leave the ff i just change the numbers after sorry that wasn't clear and then i just use an update.zip and i'm sure it's installing cause i've change the icon each time to make sure and i see the changed icon every time

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd doublecheck that by going into system/app on the phone and finding that apk file. Make sure the permissions are set right.

Worst case, just delete the apk off the phone. Then you have no calculator whatsoever. So then when you install yours, if it shows up you know for sure it ain't the phone messing with you, it's something you did.

Do I need to say "make a backup 1st"? :)

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So I did what you said and deleted the calculator.apk then while making a new calculator.apk i read that i was supposed to delete any modified apks which i didn't do last night cause i guess i was too tired to read so i'm thinking it's finally going to work i install the apk and what do you know it worked :)

Now just got to point it towards some custom images and see what we can do

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
this is the reason I hate themeing stuff but do it anyway. lol
How many hours did you kill by not deleting the original calulator :)

Glad you found it man. Now I expect to see a theme from you soon!

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Only like two hours ha

I'm actually working on two themes now one is almost done just got like 4 apps to theme so hopefully I'll have it up soon if ii ever stop messing with this which is part of my other theme

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Mine is just set to the tools directory. Then again I have aapt.exe in there as well, since I used apktool.jar before using apk manager.

The way to test it is to take a stock app like calculator (who really wants to theme it, lol). Decompile it and recompile. If you don't get errors your good. If you get an error about java and aapt.exe you need to work on the path.

Alright awesome thanks Bowers.. I was able to pull the calculator.apk off of my phone decompile it with apk manager and recompile and sign it with no errors. It ended up in my place-here-for-modding folder as signedCalculator.apk. I renamed it back to Calculator.apk and pushed it back to my phone. All went well. I am seeing in the above posts though that if you do modify an apk. You should remove it from your phone and then push the modified one back to your phone. Is this the correct way? It doesnt just overwrite the apk that is already on your phone? I just want to make sure I have everything correct regarding apk manager , adb and pushing pulling. Because my next step now is to try and figure out what you guys are talking about with this whole styles.xml and pointing to stuff within colors.xml. I cant wait to get this stuff down I am super siked.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
One last question if i have an apk and i'm looking in the androidmanifest and i see

<activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Black.NoTitleBar"

Which makes sense cause the apk has a black background and doesn't show the status bar. So my question is since i made the last apk transparent in the styles.xml by just adding .Wallpaper can i just do that within the androidmanifest.xml so it would look like this

<activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Wallpaper"

But still shows a black background so i go to styles like usual and the theme isn't even listed in there. So i go looking through all the different folders and i find the two folders layout-land and layout-port each contain an xml called main.xml so i open that and it lists this at the beginning

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<LinearLayout android:eek:rientation="vertical" android:background="#ff000000" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">

and i see background set to #ff000000 which is black like the background is supposed to be so i change it to #ff990000 just to make sure it's right i put it on my phone and if force closes every time

so i go in androidmanifest.xml and change this
<activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Black.NoTitleBar"
to
<activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Wallpaper"

and nothing so my question is when i see these themes where exactly are they pointing to? like what is @android:style/Theme.Black.NoTitleBar is that like located in the framework or something?

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Alrighttttttt hahahahahah I changed the background of my calculator app and got it up and running on my phone hahahahahah what a horrible color hahahaha.
What do you guys use or where do you all go to get the color codes? Is there a tool or website you guys use?

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Alrighttttttt hahahahahah I changed the background of my calculator app and got it up and running on my phone hahahahahah what a horrible color hahahaha.
What do you guys use or where do you all go to get the color codes? Is there a tool or website you guys use?

Google "hex color chart"

There are hundreds of sites. If you want to see what a particular hex color looks like and you have the numbers...

Google "hex color generator"

skylordusa1

Reaction score

Google "hex color chart"

There are hundreds of sites. If you want to see what a particular hex color looks like and you have the numbers...

Thanks kookahdoo. Thats what I was doing but wasnt sure if you guys were using a certain tool. Thanks man.

skylordusa1

Reaction score

Google "hex color chart"

Hey kookahdoo,

I see that you actually have your themes for liquids roms. How did you theme his framework-res.apk? I can decompile it fine but everytime I try to compile it I get errors. I get the errors when I dont even modify anything to. I just decompile and then compile and I get errors. Do you have to do something different for his framework-res.apk?

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Google "hex color chart"

Thanks kookahdoo. Thats what I was doing but wasnt sure if you guys were using a certain tool. Thanks man.

I use paint.net to figure out hex codes. I hated having to look them up on the internet. Was a real pain in the ### when you don't have internet.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Google "hex color chart"

Hey kookahdoo,

I see that you actually have your themes for liquids roms. How did you theme his framework-res.apk? I can decompile it fine but everytime I try to compile it I get errors. I get the errors when I dont even modify anything to. I just decompile and then compile and I get errors. Do you have to do something different for his framework-res.apk?

I pushed the stock images into the framework and decompiled it that way. For some reason it compiled just fine. I may have been lucky. I know others were having the same problems.

Like I'm trying to port a them to Project Elite V2 and my services.jar edits are causing bootloops. It's VERY strange. I make the same edits with ANY other ROM and it's fine, but theirs is giving me problems.

I don't know if this helps, but I'm using apkmanager 4.8, not 4.9 to compile.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I pushed the stock images into the framework and decompiled it that way. For some reason it compiled just fine. I may have been lucky. I know others were having the same problems.

Like I'm trying to port a them to Project Elite V2 and my services.jar edits are causing bootloops. It's VERY strange. I make the same edits with ANY other ROM and it's fine, but theirs is giving me problems.

I don't know if this helps, but I'm using apkmanager 4.8, not 4.9 to compile.[/QUOTE]

Yeah im not at your level so Im not sure what pushed the stock images into framework means. I appreciate you trying to explain it to me though. You and bowers are great guys and very helpful but I think this stuff may just be way to far over my head. I guess I will just give it up. I will stick to just editing the app icons and pngs cause atleast I can do that part hahahahaha.