1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Themes and roms

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by dannymarz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. dannymarz

dannymarz New Member

What's the difference between changing your theme as apose to a rom? I found a theme I liked and it said I needed pandahome to use it. I downloaded both and got it up and runnig. But im not too happy with it cause it got rid of my phone and contacts icons that are normally displayed at the bottom of the stock rom. So why did this happen?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

there are lots of difference
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

4. dannymarz

dannymarz New Member

Thank you, very helpful.

5. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

there are 3 different things you are talking about here.

1: changing a ROM requires root access, these ROMs are usually customized from the beginning usually using different color notification bars, and allowing the user to customize the text in the notifications bar, change lock screens, music controls on lock screen, different call sounds, overclocking built in, and other goodies that were never included in the Over the Air updates from Google.

2: a Theme for a ROM is someone that goes in, and changes the icons, and colors to create a theme. usually different icons for battery, 3g, downloading, ect and different icons for apps. different keyboard colors, dialer colors, lock screens ect.

3: a home replacement theme (like the ADW one) do not require root and are only available through home replacements that accept themes. these usually only change the icons for apps, and the dock background, however they will not change anything outside of the home screens (so notifications, keyboards, dialers, lock screens, menus, ect will all stay the same)

also, you can usually change the apps in the dock on home replacements. (dock = where dialer and browser where on stock home)
    try long pressing the ones you want to change and see if anything pops up. i have never used panda home so i am not sure if it is like launcher pro or not.
  6. dannymarz

dannymarz New Member

Thanks guys! Very helpful, now off to download a rom! How will I kno which roms I can and can not use? Or can any rom be used?

7. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

Check the d2 roms section. There aren't that many options for the d2.

8. dannymarz

dannymarz New Member

I did, but then I see them talking about use this version with that version and froyo and fission.... I have a d2, with I think froyo, v 2.2.... do I hav to look for a compatable rom for my specifications??? Sorry if this is a real dumb question but im learnig as I go. Btw... is a nandroid basically what I created the first time I backed up with bootstrap recovery?