Themers Toolbox - Tools and resources for making themes

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would suggest Paint.net to photo edit. Free and easy to use. Highlight the area you want to change to black and do adjustment, brightness and contrast, and adjust to your liking. Then if you would like to change the color use Hue/Saturation under Adjustment menu as well.

RevivaL

Reaction score
amazing. did exactly what i wanted without loosing anything. thanks!

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Added the link to change the M logo to the OP. Not really a tool but thought people might want to make one for there theme.

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Those of you using apk manager should check out the new version 4.9. You can keep your projects in one place and select which one to work on.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Those of you using apk manager should check out the new version 4.9. You can keep your projects in one place and select which one to work on.

Man.....so many new toys :D

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's the same link in the OP.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Is there any how to's on how to use these tools that you can provide the link/threads for hahahahhahaha. I know how to use 7zip and have a basic understanding of how to swap out the png's to add my own icons and notification bar icons. But I would like to get a little more involved in the theming like messing with the xml's kinda like how you changed alot of the pop up menus to black and white in your BNB theme. Thats a great theme by the way. I installed all this stuff from your OP but dont really know what to do from there like the jar files and stuff are those suppose to be used on the phone or on my windows pc. I would love to be able to get more involved with theming then just changing icons and stuff but it may be a lost cause since I dont really understand how to use these tools. You can just ignore this if you think that it is a lost cause. I will understand. Keep up the great work though man. I love the BNB theme. Its my favorite so far.

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Jar files need to be run by command prompt on your PC. I put all these tools in one folder (which is D:\android\tools). So what I do is open command prompt and then do "cd D:\android\tools" . Then to run colorchangev3.jar do this command "java -jar colorchangev3.jar . This will give the info on it and examples to run. Again I have more indepth how to's on certain tools for different things. Those might help out better then going on forever in this thread.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Jar files need to be run by command prompt on your PC. I put all these tools in one folder (which is D:\android\tools). So what I do is open command prompt and then do "cd D:\android\tools" . Then to run colorchangev3.jar do this command "java -jar colorchangev3.jar . This will give the info on it and examples to run. Again I have more indepth how to's on certain tools for different things. Those might help out better then going on forever in this thread.

Oh okay command prompt. I was actually messing around with them a little more last night after I posted and was thinking cmd but was gonna ask on here first until I just saw your reply. Thank you very much bowers. Hey if you have time you think you can post on here or send me a pm or whatevers easier for you the xml files that you actually changed when you were theming BNB. I love how like all the pop ups like the menu button and alarm clock and stuff like that are all black and white it looks so crisp. I would love to take a look at those files in your theme to see how you set them up but not really sure yet what xml files change those aspects of the phone. I really like your theme cause you theme'd all that stuff instead of just like the icons which is most of the themes I tried. BNB looks awesome. I kinda wanna make my own theme like yours but replacing the black with like a bright blue. If you cant or dont want to its all good I understand. But keep up the great work man I see a bajillion people on here all the time rocking BNB. Im gonna check out the how tos you posted to see if I can grab some info from there. Thanks again for all your hard work.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Ok I was actually just reading your Theming Guide for changing system text settings. So styles.xml is the place to be for the text great guide by the way. I will have to try and mess with that. Is styles.xml the same file that allows you to change the backgrounds as well like you have on the menu softkey button white text on a black background. That will be great if its all in the same file. Sorry to be such a pain I just really like the BNB theme alot so just wanted to know how you started and what you changed.

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok I was actually just reading your Theming Guide for changing system text settings. So styles.xml is the place to be for the text great guide by the way. I will have to try and mess with that. Is styles.xml the same file that allows you to change the backgrounds as well like you have on the menu softkey button white text on a black background. That will be great if its all in the same file. Sorry to be such a pain I just really like the BNB theme alot so just wanted to know how you started and what you changed.

The menu background is a image file in /res/drawable-hdpi (menu_background_fill_parent_width.9.png and menu_background.9.png)

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. How easy (or hard) is it to theme a keyboard. I love the BnB theme, but my white keyboard sticks out like a sore thumb. I use Swiftkey (paid app, and no I am not asking for the apk to be posted :happy:). But I would like to know if it would be something a total novice to making a theme could do? I would love to make it look like the stock keyboard in this theme, but just do not know how to go about it.