1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ThemeR Studio

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by CorCor67, Mar 2, 2011.

1. CorCor67

CorCor67 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

ThemeR Studio​

by CorCor67​

[​IMG]

ThemeR Studio is a series of scripts built to make the lives of Android themers using Linux easier. As a themer myself I know the kind of work that goes into putting together a quality theme. I also know the troubles it can be to set up a workspace and all the tools we use to get our work done. It bothered me how much time and effort could be wasted setting up a place to theme, when that time could have very well been spent bettering our themes.

Now, you don't need to waste that time! ThemeR Studio scripts should be easy enough for those new to Linux to use with ease. Even an auto setup option that takes care of almost everything for you.

Features include
    -Auto Setup
    -Downloads & Installs latest Android SDK
    -Installs ApkManager
    -Installs ApkOpt
    -Modified ApkManager with customizable compression & optimization levels
    -Modified ApkOpt with customizable compression & optimization levels
    -Universal tool set
    -Installation of programs needed
    -Build Workspace
    -Backup & Restore workspaceExport & Import of backups to DropBox
    -No need to add path variables for apkopt or apkmanager!
    -More to come!

Has been tested and is known to work on the following distros:
    Linux Mint 10
    Ubuntu 10.10

NOTE: If you use KDE you will need to download gnome terminal for these to properly work. Firefox is the browser used for some links so they won't work if you don't have it.

If you have used these on another distro please let me know if they work or not so I can add to the list

Please make sure you don't have the directory "/home/your_user_name/Android" because this is where these scripts will write to.

Disclaimer: These scripts are provided as is with no guarantees, if you choose to use them you do so at your own risk! I will not be held responsible for any damages or losses that might occur when using these scripts.

TO USE
    Open the zip with your archive manager, and drag the folder "ThemeRStudio" to your desktop. Open it, double click "setup.sh" and choose "run in terminal"

Download ThemeR Studio

I put a lot of hard work and long hours into these scripts, I hope you enjoy!

When I update theses my site will be the first place to get the update its just easier keeping 1 place up to date, then I will work on getting it up to the forum as soon as I get the chance.
    ThemeR Studio

Enjoy! :rockon:
    CorCor67

Some Features comming include
    TMobile Theme Engine setup
    Optional Auto Updater Script for both ThemeR Studio & Android SDK

If you have any suggestions on features please add them I'd be happy to try to include them
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *****Changelog*******

2-March-2011
    -Inital release

3-March-2011
    -Bug Fix to install 7zip before setting up tools

I'd like to give a big thanks to those that deserve it.

Daneshm90 for the original ApkManager Script, and farmatito for the port to Linux
    coolbho3000 for the original ApkOpt script, I'm not sure who ported it to Linux

The brave souls who tested out the scripts for me and helped working out bugs
    nmiltner
    bgill55
    Kookahdoo
    mjones1052
    LinuxCynique
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. tp4bama

tp4bama Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

This is awesome. Thanks!
  3. nmiltner

nmiltner Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

It rocks!

I can attest that this script is awesome.
    CorCor has put a ton of time into this, and it shows! I used it last night on a fresh linux insatall, and it was flawless.

Great work!
  4. CorCor67

Thanks guys! Glad ya like it :)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. jatx2wne

jatx2wne Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

This is absolutely amazing man. I just recently started checking linux out since I want to try and learn more with android and getting all this set up the first time wasnt exactly a snap and I definitely didnt even have it as nicely set up, job well done sir and thank you. now all im missing is photoshop ahh well
  6. CorCor67

Thanks for the compliments! Gimp is a great alternitive to photoshop, but some find it difficult to learn when use to photoshop... check out gimpshop, its a modded version of gimp to make it look and feel more like photoshop
    GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella
  7. jatx2wne

I actually used gimp before photoshop im bout to check that link out but the biggest thing i miss going to gimp is how in photoshop you can create custom styles(not sure if you know what im talking about, but basically a shape with all preset shadows bevels gradients and so on) anyway I may have to start just liking gimp more becuase im liking linux more and more as I learn( feel like when i first got my d1 so much to learn :) )
  8. CorCor67

Nope never used photoshop before...used gimp in windows & linux :)
  9. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

Please make sure you don't have the directory "/home/your_user_name/Android" because this is where these scripts will write to.

Looks like I accidentally have my directory like that. I'm lost now trying to find where everything is and uninstall this so I can redo it all and move it to my desktop. But the problem is, when you said drag the folder to the desktop, I did that, but it wouldn't go on the desktop. I'm trying to find out how to enable putting files, folders, and applications onto the desktop without it disappearing on me.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  10. CorCor67

The folders put in to the /home/user-name/Android directory by the scripts are named:
    android-sdk-linux_x86
    ApkManager
    apkopt
    ROMs
    ThemeProjects
    ThemeSource

You will also find a folder in /home/user-name/ called .ThemeRStudioToolz when in your users directory you need to go to view>show hidden files to see it

To remove the programs installed run these commands in a terminal...

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove p7zip-full
    sudo apt-get remove sox
    sudo apt-get remove sun-java6-jdk
    sudo apt-get remove eclipse

Should give you a clean start, I will add an uninstall script to my todo list :)

Wierd that you can't get anything to stay on your desktop, what distro are you using? Also what desktop environment...these were built to call gnome's terminal in a couple scripts
  11. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

big thanks for this. went off without a hitch for me.
  12. CorCor67

Glad to hear :)
  13. jatx2wne

somehow I screwed something up I imagine I did it while trying to learn how to compile cm from source and also get and compile the source for the theming engine which I finally have both of those working and assume I did something that screwed up a path for your set up.
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
    Thats the error I get any idea what I have to edit to get it working again and hopefully not break those other setups I checked the .bashrc and that all seems to be fine and being a complete linux noob im at a loss
  14. CorCor67

You installed another version of java, need to switch back to 6 for apkmanager...

run this in terminal

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java

Then switch to JDK 6...when you want to compile CM again run it again and switch back :)
  15. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

Yeah I have those folders in /home/myusername/Android

The way you said it in your instruction sounded like they should not be in that directory but rather than the same directory as where the ThemeRStudio folder should be (on Desktop). But they are in where you just listed.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 as dual boot installed along-side of Windows Vista 32 bit 86x. Another thing I noticed is the more I'm on Ubuntu and going through different stuff trying to see where everything is and take a look at everything, the slower and sluggish Ubuntu becomes. I wonder if this is sort of acting like the Android system, where if you have many things going on in the background it gets sluggish. When I first started, I would click on the Application button, on the side panel, and it would instantly open up. But now it takes between 5 to 8 minutes to open up. Not good.

Edit: Forgot to say, when I tried dragging a folder or Application to the desktop and then let go of the button it just disappears. Kind of like if you were to drag a file/folder or application in Windows you would get that little red "not allowed" sign and it disappears until you place it in an appropriate place.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  16. jatx2wne

thanks man worked like a charm
  17. CorCor67

Ok try by command line, at least that way it should give you an explanation as to why it won't write to your desktop...
    Code:
    7z x -o"/home/$USER/Desktop" /home/$USER/Downloads/ThemeRStudio.7z

18. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

I won't be able to do that command line because I got rid of Ubuntu and am using Linux Mint. It works a lot better than the Ubuntu 10.10.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my phone hooked up as a driver and be able to adb pull files out.

Sent from the D2... obviously...
  19. loveubuntu

loveubuntu New Member

wow, this is great. Can't imagine how much time you put into this. I spent hours yesterday setting up android SDK yesterday. I'm a noob to using it but still thought it was silly to be so difficult to set it up in Linux (Ubuntu 10.10). Most guides are written on Windows ironically. Thanks a lot. (im realdriller on twitter you sent the link to, thanks)

If I have everything setup, do you think running your script over it will mess things up? I mainly used this guide but had to modify a few things:

[GUIDE] Lazyman's installation guide to ADB on Ubuntu 10.10 - xda-developers
  20. CorCor67

yes sir you can :) I run linux mint myself...for adb go into your sdk folder...if setup sdk using these scripts press ctrl+alt+t to open a terminal
    type this
    Code:
    cd ~/Android/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools

make sure you have your phone plugged into the usb & have usb debugging enabled in the settings
    then run adb as you normally would :)
Search tags for this page

studio android themes

themerstudio v1 android