1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Themeing ADW Launcher

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TedWilliams, May 15, 2010.

1. TedWilliams

TedWilliams New Member

Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
    Since I haven't really seen many posts regarding how to theme your ADW launcher, I figured I'd type up a quick little tutorial.

For starters, it's probably easiest to use NinjaMorph, which can be found in the market. It's awesome, much like everything Stericson has done. At any rate, here goes.

*It's probably safest to make a backup (nandroid or via Rom Manager) prior to this. Also, if you are changing your ADW icons, you'll want to find some prior to doing all of this. I'd hate for any of you to get through a majority of it and realize you don't have any replacement icons lol. Annnyways..

1. Provided you have ADW launcher installed as well as NinjaMorph, open up NinjaMorph and click on new project.

2. Next, scroll to the location of the apk: System -> App -> Launcher.apk (Generally, this is where it should be found) and click on it.

3. NinjaMorph will automatically extract the files for you. Once that's done, click on: Res -> and any of the 3 Drawables that contain icons you want to replace.

4. To the left of the file name is an image of the icon, this should help you figure out which you want to replace. For example, I switched the App Drawer button icon by clicking on "ic_tray_expand.png" in both the "drawable-land" and "drawable-port" folders.

5. After you click on the file name within said folder, NM will bring you back to your SD card, allowing you to scroll to the folder that contains the icon you want to replace it with. In my experience, it's much easier to just create a folder on your SD that contains a bunch of icons. Or, if you use MetaMorph, and have some icon files in there from a past mod, you can just go through the AndroidThemes folder and find the one you like.

6. Once you find the replacement file, click on it, and NM will ask if you want to replace the earlier icon with your current one, hit yes.

7. Once that's finished, click the on-screen back button, and click Finish Project, then click on the project you were working on. Once it completes, click yes to confirm the action and then it'll ask about ZipAligning. Go ahead and hit yes, unless you'd prefer to hit no, it's up to you. Deleting the cleanup is up to you as well.

8. Once it says "All Done", go ahead and press the Home button, select the ADW launcher (for some it may be Home, some Launcher) and you should be all set!

You can change any of the image files within ADW that you want, obviously you should make a backup just in case something goes awry.

Lastly, you don't need to use NinjaMorph to do this, if you're experienced with Root Explorer, or any similar app, you can move/rename the icon files on your own.

Attached is a screen of my current setup.

EDIT: Oops, meant to post this in the Droid Themes forum. My bad!
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. romomentum357

romomentum357 New Member

help...

I followed ur instructions exact. But when I'm done the home launcher is no longer an option only helix and helix 2. Its like as soon as I theme it it dissapears. Can u please give me a hand with this its driving me crazy.... thanx
  3. TedWilliams

TedWilliams New Member

Hmmm, when you switched out the icons, you were doing it in the "Launcher.apk" right? Not the helix1/2 launcher apk?

I'm sure you already have, but try rebooting it. Also, doublecheck that you wrote over the correct files.
  4. romomentum357

romomentum357 New Member

i only have launcher.apk and launcher2.apk. Im thinking that maybe its recognizing launcer.apk as helix launcer and when i change the files it kicks adw out. I tried to uninstall helix1 but have had no luck. Any ideas...?
  5. TedWilliams

TedWilliams New Member

Depending on your setup, I believe that helix 1/2 have apk files called com.helixproject.launcher.apk, add a 2 after launcher for helix 2.
  6. gardobus

gardobus New Member

make sure Launcher.apk is still in /system/app and make sure its permissions are the same as all the other apps in there. I recommend Root Explorer for this or the terminal if you know what you're doing.
  7. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I'd simply start over and push Launcher.apk from the adw download to /system/app using adb. Then start over.
  8. romomentum357

romomentum357 New Member

Yes I checked the permissions and they are the same. As far as adb I'm not familiar with it at all. I've user terminal emulator a little bit but that's about it. Maybe u could give me the commands for his to push it with terminal or tell me how to us adb...
  9. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Well if it is in /system/app and has the right permissions then you have pretty much pushed it already and that isn't your issue.
  10. romomentum357

romomentum357 New Member

So do u have any other ideas? What's causing it to disappear after I replace the icon files
  11. DEdwards22

DEdwards22 New Member

I don't have a Launcher.apk directory, any advice? I've got a Launcher2.apk but it's not ADW.
Search tags for this page
adw launcher themes erstellen

adw launcher tutorial

adw theme creator
adw tutorials
how to make a theme for awd.launcher
tutorial how to create theme for nova launcher
tutorial making adw theme