1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Themeing... 4.2 or 5.x?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by xkape, Mar 5, 2011.

?

Themeing... 4.2 or 5.x? Where should the focus be?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2011.
  1. Yes, do your thing on 4.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Who needs 4.2? Theme us some 5.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

OK, I, and others I am working with have invested a lot of time into making themes for PE. Before I invested time into the last one, I had this discussion and I was saying 5.x was the way to go because we are all enthusiasts here and eventually, all would go forward with the GB ROM.

Now, after its release and time passed, this forum has gone from "this ROM rocks, I love it" to " I am having a problem with xyz". I see people going back to 4.2 for now and I can't help but wonder... with the projects I and others have in the works, where should the themeing be focused? Personally, I was going to completely revamp Red Glass and Pink Glass and make a Purple Glass plus about 5 other themes I'm not at liberty to divulge at this point. All were geared to 5.0. Should they be? I do NOT want to put all my time and effort into making the best thing that I can only to see no ones using it...lol

SO PLEASE... vote in this pol and let your voice be heard. Where should the themeing focus be?

Thank You
  2. jcwilliams

jcwilliams New Member

i just voted and must be the first. i love v5 its awesome all the lil tweaks that you can do to it. i do have a backup for 4.2 just in case but i dont see myself going back. i say theme away at v5.
  3. mxnut

mxnut New Member

Wow! I must say that was a hard choice. 4.2 was so stable with very few issues for me. I voted for 5.x Onward
  4. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

I'm going to vote for 5.x. This is why. This is the FIRST gb rom actngrezy and mojo have done. I have tried all the gb roms on DF and this is in my opinion by far the best one. BUT it does have its flaws. It took me a couple weeks and a few wipes and reinstalls before I got it running the way I want it to. I think everyone has to remember that being the first gb release they've done, they have a long ways ahead of them to get it as perfect as 4.2. They did I think 7 versions of froyo before they got it to where it is. Give PE a chance to improve upon gb some more and it'll be the greatest OG rom out there!
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I know it's hard work but I say both - gotta make em' all happy :D
  6. jev

jev Member

PEv5.02 has been rock solid for me and I don't see going back to 4.2. Eventually, all of the small bugs that people are experiencing will be worked out, therefore I voted for GB.
  7. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I like 5.x as much as the next person. At least the idea of it. Havent loaded it yet. But for now, will it run? Personally, I need my phone to be at 100% because I use it for work and other things. I know in time GB will get figured out. And I know most of us have time left on this phone. Personally, I have until March 26th 2012 til my NE2 comes around so I'll be rocking the D1 for awhile. Chances are, if it goes like I read, I will end up just buying a Bionic though. But thats neither here nor there... right now, I have a D1, I want it to work and I want it to look the way I want it to.

I am using 4.2 with the Elite Orange theme. I am addicted to the orange so I am waiting til the orange theme is complete to try out PE 5.. perhaps I gave away a vision to the future right there.. but, I;m just saying.. 5 is good but is 4.2 better right now
  8. mxnut

mxnut New Member

I noticed the orange bits in BnB keyboard. If I could I would have voted both.
  9. Alastrionia

Alastrionia Sourcery Themer / Designr Theme Developer Premium Member

I voted 5.0.x as it's what has been perfect for me.
    I did some themes on 4.2, released one on 5.0 and have another in the works.

Personally I'm going to keep moving forward. I haven't had the issues or problems.
    my wifes gripe is that there currently isn't enough themes, so hopefully more will come around (since she refuses to use mine, haha)
  10. WallyIAm

WallyIAm Member

I'm one of those that went back to 4.2. I just couldn't put up with the multiple issues. From what I understand, the issues are GB and not the custom ROM. I don't have connections to the devs so I don't know how big a deal it will be to fix them. I've got to believe they will solve them eventually, so I would say put your effort into v5.

Sent from my Droid
  11. ttocsm

ttocsm New Member

I wouldn't say, "Who needs 4.2", but I do think we should carry on and work on 5.0 Theme away!
  12. VolDroid

VolDroid New Member

I'd say wait on more stable GB rom before going full force towards it. Either way, I'd appreciate leaving the links to the 4.2 themes up for those of us that aren't making that switch yet.
  13. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

I wonder if there are more people having successful PEGB experiences with it running to perfection, then you have estimated.
    Those people, due to no issues, are not as motivated to post as someone who is looking for solutions to issues.
    Perhaps they only post once saying awesome thanks. Unlike a blathering idiot like myself that continues posting pure jackassery. The ones with no problems may not even be on the forum as much since they are running smooth.
    And those with trouble usually seem to have more than one hitch in their giddyup.
    Personally, since the upgrade with the new ability to lock apps other than home in memory, I have had a soft/hot rebootless experience. Never has run even warm.
    I have lost 3g after a call on very rare occasions and if it did not comeback in less than 5 seconds, the norm for mine, I would airplane button twice on the galaxy widget and was golden.
    To me, that is barely anything considering the other things I have read. Battery life excellent and never a missed call or text.
    Only my experience, but I can't imagine I am somehow a PEGB golden child.
    Don't forget the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but it also draws the most attention.
    There may just be a silent majority, I would be their loudmouthed proxy.
    Translation:
    PE GB * danceswithbongs approved
  14. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

Like you I have only the 3g thing once in a while. Granted I had to find which kernal agreed with my phone with gb, just as I did with froyo. Different OS version, different kernal. Now im "golden" as you would say. No missed texts or calls with my current set up.
  15. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Great idea x ... wish I woulda thought of doing something like this BEFORE I got to work on things LOL

Sent from my Droid
  16. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I'm staying with 4.2 for now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  17. PARick

PARick New Member

I immediately fell in love with 5.0, and pronounced it my ROM forever. However, after a few glitches showed themselves, then became magnified, I had to go back to 4.2. My email didne't work properly with GB, and that is what I use my phone for 85% of the time. It was a no-brainer for me. Wish it worked out......
  18. fredm74

fredm74 New Member

I went back to 4.2 after having issues with 5.0. Missed text messages and random reboots were getting annoying. 4.2 is working flawlessly and I love it. I am patient until a GB Rom comes out that is more stable and dependable.
  19. powerspeed06

powerspeed06 New Member

^ I must agree 5.0 was a fun rom but a few issues with missed calls and missed messages push me back to 4.2. As far as themes go I'm sure there is a lot of flavor for the 4.2 rom. I'm happy with a few already out.

sent from my EpicBlue Droid
  20. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

5.0 baby. I don't understand the issues with the 3g going to white, it happens to me too. I think it's Google tho, not any of the ROMs, because it did the same to me on both PE and SS. Greazy and Mojo are awesome programmers tho, they'll get sh!t done, I think we just need a little patience and it'll soon be as perfect and stable as 4.2