The woes of BB 6.2.1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by x25064, Jan 17, 2011.

1. alwerner

alwerner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With custom kernals, how do you know what flavor of kernal to run? I have the original Droid, but there are so many speed & voltage options, how do you choose? The last thing I really want to do is start to try them all.

2. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, most of us really don't. Because kernels have unique effects for each phone, we generally guide people to two or three developers whose kernels appear to be (overall) stable for the majority of the people. They are generally P3Droid, Chevy, and Slayher. If you want to test kernels, I would recommend getting a standard voltage 800 or 1000 from each and flash each one after a couple days of testing to see if you like it. After that, you can go with lower voltages or higher speeds until you learn what your phone can and cannot handle.

As for myself, I tend to stick with P3Droid (he also makes the Sapphire kernels) and generally try to utilize his 1000 MHz kernel on LV or SV. Sometimes, though, they won't always play nice with my phone (depending on the ROM) so I will go to another dev and look for a similar kernel.

3. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Alright, now on to the rom. I used to be a huge follower of Pete's, I would flash every one of his roms, but I've been on a CM6/7 binge recently... I saw this and figured id give it a whirl since I'm getting a vPhone in 2 weeks anyway.

I have to agree with the majority of posters and say the battery life is terrible. I normally get around 8-10hrs, with BB 6.2.1 I get about 5hrs!!! A huge dropoff.

Then a glaring error popped up, which was why I orignally stopped using BB... my RF-MAB2 headsets don't work properly with the rom. They work for phonecalls, but as soon as I stream music, it gets terribly choppy! I use my headphones literally all day, so this is STILL a deal-breaker for me.

Pete have you ever thought of using the CM source?
    While I haven't had luck with your recent builds, I appreciate the work you do. I'm not bashing your work to give myself any pleasure, I just want your BB to be as good as it was back in the Eclair days.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

4. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually have to respectfully disagree that "most of us don't bother". ChevyNo1, slayher, p3, Sapphire, beckett, etc. are all good kernels. They're all very similar but have their own tweaks. For me, Sapphire and Chevy kernels run smooth and cool. However, slayher run too hot and p3 boot loop my phone. If you ever have problems with a rom it usually can be fixed with a different kernel, or by wiping 3 times before a fresh install. Also, doing a complete system data restore with Titanium Backup is a common issue. Just select the apps with app data to restore.

Anyway, back on topic, the best way to know what kernels work well for your phone is trial and error. Do a NANDROID BACKUP and then try one. I recommend starting with a the lowest voltage first. If it boot loops try a higher voltage. By doing it that way you can easily determine the lowest voltage your phone will run with. Also remember a p3 low voltage may not work for you when a chevy one might or vice versa etc.

The next thing to consider is clock speed. Figure out your voltage first with an 800mhz kernel, then once you know it works fine work up from there. I've personally found that anything over 1Ghz isn't worth the risk to your phone. After that, the performance difference is minimal for the risk and HORRIBLE battery life. I use a 1Ghz kernel and usually run it at 800. Unless I need the power for a SHORT time.

I'll also say use setcpu with temperature profiles. It's all fine and good that the developers are building Overclocking into their roms, but they don't have the failsafe warnings that setCPU has.

These are just my recommendations from my experiences and tons of times in forums. Take it or leave it, but I hope I've been helpful.

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

5. lfylove

lfylove Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thts totally different for me I get amazing battery life in idle though while running it does run out fast im using the stock kernal

6. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I just wiped cache and data 4x and I still have the same wallpaper after reinstalling the rom. Any ideas how to fix to make sure I get a fresh start on this rom?

7. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to wipe the dalvic cache a well to get a clean install. I've noticed that the cache and the wipe data does not clear everything.

Droid I, Rom-crap which one did I load again?

8. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I did this too before I wiped data then cache then did it all over again 4x. Idk what else I could do to get a real good clean install.

9. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea then. Maybe load lgb, wipe cache wipe data three times each the dalvic after then load bb. That's what I just did a and got a clean install. Otherwise I have no clue. I do know I wipe dalvic last.

10. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3

Load lgb? What's lgb?

11. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Liquid gingerbread. Its another rom for the droid. Nice rom still has bugs though that's why I'm back to bb. Try wiping dalvic last and see how it goes.

12. Biggdogg76

Biggdogg76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try the new Project Elite 4.2 ROM, I changed over from BBv6.2.1 and me and my Droid1 have never been happier. Its super fast, super smooth and none of the bugs I was experiencing while using BBV6.2.1. It also has tons of customizations and Themes. It does come stock with a 1100mhz kernel so ut may run hot but give it a try. My phone loves it so far but Im still tweaking for battery life.

13. DoubleW720

DoubleW720 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Two Things.

1) For the person who said the touchscreen didn't work while plugged in, and gps was terrible, going in and out. I believe that this is a sign that you have a kernal with an incompatible voltage (try going lower).

2) For the poster who said they wiped 4x (included dalvik) and still couldn't get the wallpaper to go away like pete said. I'm not sure, but I believe pete was referring to a system wallpaper, as in one you can select, not your active wallpaper. I think your current wallpaper is stored on google's servers, and as soon as you log-in at boot for the first time, it pulls that down and applies it, which is why you see it again. I believe pete was not referring to this so called "current" or "active" wallpaper, but a wallpaper stored in the system.

14. volando

volando Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using whatever kernel that came with latest BB, the one that goes to 800MHz... I'll try to find out what voltage it's using and switch to a different, lower one. Thanks!

15. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just try some different kernels, trial and error. Try Sapphire, chevy, and slayher all at 800mhz. See if one of those fix it. Your phone just may not like the kernel that came with the rom. I always have that issue with a couple roms (not the screen thing, but my phone not liking the kernel.)

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...