The woes of BB 6.2.1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by x25064, Jan 17, 2011.

1. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm positive Pete is aware of these issues but, like others, doesn't fully understand how people are getting poor battery life and others are getting fantastic ones. Its not something he can just code and "poof!" it works for everyone.

There are so many ways to attempt to fix the battery issue:

1) Change the governor settings to onDemand
    2) Get rid of apps that are not required (ie automatic taskkillers)
    3) Make sure you wipe and install the ROM at 100% battery life
    4) When resetting stats, you have to drain your battery to the point it powers off, and then charge for 8-10 hours regardless of %.
    5) Don't use automatic brightness unless you're outside.
    6) Change the kernel. P3Droid, Sapphire, and Slayher kernels are some of the most suggested.
    7) If you're having issues with the latest version, revert back to the older one.

And if all of them don't work, then go to another ROM. It isn't like you're forced to stay with this one.

2. volando

volando Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same issue as a lot of people here. Battery is crapping out in major ways as described by original OP, "fixes" don't do anything.

Overall latest releases of BB are getting worse, it seems. It works really well for a day or two, then all sorts of issues start happening. Other issues I've seen:

1. GPS spontaneously breaking if trying to get navigation while not seeing satellites (in a garage). Shows me in the wrong spot and never fixes itself or just doesn't connect at all. Cycling settings doesn't work because 'location and security' settings force closes right away. Reboots don't work. Miraculously comes back to life in a few days. Hm?

2. Using touch screen while plugged in to the car charger is next to impossible. The screen jumps around like crazy. I actually unplug it to do anything, then plug it back in.

I'm quite grateful for Peter's work and I know this is donations based, but perhaps holding off on new features and working on actually making it "bugless" is in order...

3. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In reality BB is no longer just a tweaked stock rom, it is now becoming a total custom rom, so if the new stuff does not work for you go back to am older version. 6.1 gave me massive problems and 6.2.1 gives me zero. I really think it comes down to the phone its self on whether or not it is going to work.

Droid I- Rom, crap which one did I load again?

4. p5stover

p5stover New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Running BB 6.2.1. Im having issues trying to reboot into recovery. Ive tryied it via Rom Manager reboot, holding x on start-up,... Love the rom!! Any suggestions on how to reboot into Recovery?

5. hyperdude

hyperdude Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hold the power button down so the shutdown dialog shows up (the window with Silent mode, airplane mode, etc), hit Reboot, hit Recovery, voila!

6. p5stover

p5stover New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea i tried that, it just boots to the "M" screen then stalls there. Not sure what what else to do?

7. hyperdude

hyperdude Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried flashing Clockwork a few times? From what I read that sometimes fixes such problems.

8. p5stover

p5stover New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had to mess with it a few times but its working so far, thanks!!

9. mobile_sensei

mobile_sensei Team Liberty Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I installed on wifes D1 with lithum lv kernel 250-850... amazing battery life. I dont care what anyone says, battery stats along with draining & fully charging just befor resetting helps her & my sons D1 battery life A LOT

10. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    My reply to battery life, take it as you wish:

Ive installed BB on the following....

My personal Droid gets amazing battery life.
    My girlfriends Droid gets amazing battery life.
    My neighbor, his sons, and his wifes Droid gets amazing battery life.
    My friend Joe, his parents, and his step brothers Droid gets amazing battery life.
    A kid from college named Kyle gets amazing battery life.

And the list goes on.

I wipe 3x before installing, then wipe the battery stats.
    If I get a "funny feeling" or just want to be sure. I wipe again even after it has booted.

Wiping 3x sounds stupid but when you have seen a wallpaper (in the framework) stick somehow after wiping and installing another ROM (that does not include that wallpaper) you will think differently.

I should also state that I am not just stating these facts to "protect" my work, I could care less if no one used my ROM, I build Bugless Beast for me, because I enjoy learning (Android) and I only trust my work.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  11. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The battery life problems are caused by a common bug shared by many kernels.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. mobile_sensei

mobile_sensei Team Liberty Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1 Pete

"I wipe 3x before installing, then wipe the battery stats.
    If I get a "funny feeling" or just want to be sure. I wipe again even after it has booted.

Wiping 3x sounds stupid but when you have seen a wallpaper (in the framework) stick somehow after wiping and installing another ROM (that does not include that wallpaper) you will think differently."
    :blackdroid: Im with you Pete.. I wipe EVERYTHING 3x, flash rom, wipe again, flash rom again. Guess what?? ZERO TROUBLES...
    Here is the KERNEL I flash with most Froyo ROMS, because of the battery life, lack of heat, wifi, etc. Its an LFY Kernel (Mark Johnson)
    Index of /DL/LFY/KERNELS
    I use the 900, clocked with setcpu @ 250 - 900 with interactive governer. Battery Life is great!! Keep Up the good work Pete! :blackdroid:

13. Biggdogg76

Biggdogg76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I finally bailed on Bugless, I honestly never thought this day would come, its actually making me feel bad, like I'm cheating on my girlfriend. I tried all the fixes known to man to try and get it right but nothing seemed to work. Battery life was atrocious and I could not get the Bluetooth or Wifi to work no matter what kernel I tried. I wont list all of my problems because I dont want to be accused of bashing but I must say I was very disappointed. I flashed PE4.2 last night and it is running smooth and everything is working great! Good Luck Bugless diehards! Im sure Ill be back once these issues are worked out.

14. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try using a Sapphire 2.0 kernel. Compcache works with them and my battery lasts forever with moderate to heavy use. It also stays in the 30's celcius for temps and I'm running a 1Ghz kernel! I've spoken with a couple people who had the same problem and this worked for both.

http://wiki.ccroms.net/sapphire/releases/2.0.0

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

15. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I did notice that my wallpaper stayed after I wiped data and cache! Think I should do it all again and reinstall after wiping a few times?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App