The woes of BB 6.2.1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by x25064, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Biggdogg76

Biggdogg76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had the battery problems too. I did all the usual fixes ( fix permissions, reset battery stats, etc. ) and have gotten better battery life as of recently. I still haven't flashed the update to 6.2.1 yet but plan on doing it in a few minutes and will keep you all posted. I am keeping the stock kernel that comes with the ROM and have it set on demand 250min 800max through the interactive governor installed on the ROM already. I may go back to using SetCPU because of the great battery life I got using profiles on BBV4 and v5. I dont use the comp cache and use my phone a lot for web browsing, playing with apps, phone calls, picture taking and tons of texting and usually get between 5 and 7 hours of use time. If the phone sits idle in my pocket all day and is only used for intermittent phone calls and texts I get about 18 to 20 hours before it needs a charge. I usually have WIFI off but I leave GPS on and let the Android system do its magic and only use things when it needs them so the GPS doesn't effect the battery life too much. There are so many factors that its almost impossible to pin point battery issues on these phones. If I remember correctly my battery life sucked since day one ( my first smart phone, Droid1 ). I was used to a flip phone that could go 3 days without a charge. I can only imagine how bad battery life still would be if I hadn't rooted!

#25 Biggdogg76, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. Biggdogg76

Biggdogg76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also forgot to add something I feel is very important to battery life. I keep most of the notification LED's off so they dont blink all day in my pocket needlessly,use auto brightness, and have all haptic feedback turned off . Like I said, there are so many factors its ridiculous to pin point all battery problems.

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    If this ROM is causing these issues, then why bother running it? It doesn't seem bugless at all.

You know it sure would be nice to have Pete come in and address these issues.

4. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've always been a fan/supporter of pete's work, and have used his roms since I first rooted my droid. Always tried other roms and kept coming back to BB. Right now I am running the latest CM and its just not as smooth or fast as BB. When this version worked for me.. it freakin worked like a charm, but once it stopped working, man oh man did it stop.

I'd also like Pete to see this. My main concern is that he goes unaware of this issue some of us are having, and builds the next version of BB on this version, transferring the same problems into a new build. I think I read that Pete is very busy back at school and won't be around til mid-late spring. Not entirely sure though.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I'm not trying to run anybody out of here but he does have his own website and I do see him every once in a while in this thread. At least he could give you a yes or a no on the question of battery.

I don't run the ROM but my feelings are that more then likely something else is causing a battery issue if in fact there exist one. I say that because let's face it, Droids and all other smart phones are battery hogs. I'm running a stock D2, and I see absolutely no difference in this and when I was rooted and overclocked.

I don't run custom ROM's myself. It's just a personal preference. I do keep extra charged batteries on hand.;)

6. treefrog20012003

Ratings:
    +0
    I find this interesting, on bb 6.1 I had massive battery problems, yet on 6.2.1 I am getting phenomenal battery life. My guess is that your phone does not like either the rom or the kernel. my suggestion is to move on to another rom or start slamming different kernels until you find one that works. I have spent an entire day trying kernels before I found one that worked before.

Droid I- Rom, crap which one did I load again?

7. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm positive Pete is aware of these issues but, like others, doesn't fully understand how people are getting poor battery life and others are getting fantastic ones. Its not something he can just code and "poof!" it works for everyone.

There are so many ways to attempt to fix the battery issue:

1) Change the governor settings to onDemand
    2) Get rid of apps that are not required (ie automatic taskkillers)
    3) Make sure you wipe and install the ROM at 100% battery life
    4) When resetting stats, you have to drain your battery to the point it powers off, and then charge for 8-10 hours regardless of %.
    5) Don't use automatic brightness unless you're outside.
    6) Change the kernel. P3Droid, Sapphire, and Slayher kernels are some of the most suggested.
    7) If you're having issues with the latest version, revert back to the older one.

And if all of them don't work, then go to another ROM. It isn't like you're forced to stay with this one.

8. volando

volando Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same issue as a lot of people here. Battery is crapping out in major ways as described by original OP, "fixes" don't do anything.

Overall latest releases of BB are getting worse, it seems. It works really well for a day or two, then all sorts of issues start happening. Other issues I've seen:

1. GPS spontaneously breaking if trying to get navigation while not seeing satellites (in a garage). Shows me in the wrong spot and never fixes itself or just doesn't connect at all. Cycling settings doesn't work because 'location and security' settings force closes right away. Reboots don't work. Miraculously comes back to life in a few days. Hm?

2. Using touch screen while plugged in to the car charger is next to impossible. The screen jumps around like crazy. I actually unplug it to do anything, then plug it back in.

I'm quite grateful for Peter's work and I know this is donations based, but perhaps holding off on new features and working on actually making it "bugless" is in order...

9. treefrog20012003

Ratings:
    +0
    In reality BB is no longer just a tweaked stock rom, it is now becoming a total custom rom, so if the new stuff does not work for you go back to am older version. 6.1 gave me massive problems and 6.2.1 gives me zero. I really think it comes down to the phone its self on whether or not it is going to work.

Droid I- Rom, crap which one did I load again?

10. p5stover

p5stover New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Running BB 6.2.1. Im having issues trying to reboot into recovery. Ive tryied it via Rom Manager reboot, holding x on start-up,... Love the rom!! Any suggestions on how to reboot into Recovery?

11. hyperdude

hyperdude Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hold the power button down so the shutdown dialog shows up (the window with Silent mode, airplane mode, etc), hit Reboot, hit Recovery, voila!

12. p5stover

p5stover New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea i tried that, it just boots to the "M" screen then stalls there. Not sure what what else to do?