The woes of BB 6.2.1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by x25064, Jan 17, 2011.

1. x25064

x25064 New Member

For the past 2 weeks I have been playing with, experimenting with, and trying to get this blasted rom to work. After two weeks, I am frustrated, hopeless, and out of answers. I am posting this for other users to share similar experiences. I will say straight away: DO NOT TELL ME TO RESET ME BATTERY STATUS

Problems:
    -Abysmal battery life (4 hour drain while idle)
    -battery useage not displaying
    -battery jumping down large percentages
    -conditions falsely improve with reflash only to degrade after 1 day

Attempted fixes:
    -resetting battery status 10+ times
    -letting battery fully drain
    -swapping out with alternate new battery and repeating process
    -using various kernals: stock, slayher, p3, chevy etc.
    -using various voltages
    -using setcpu profiles - including screen off
    -reflashing the rom several times
    -waiting to see if things changed over a period of time
    -underclocking stock kernel
    -changing various compcache settings

Dispelled myths on the boards:
    -battery status is a load of garbage

Solutions:
    -battery useage doesn't seem to display for kernels other then stock (see thread "reflashing stock kernel" for issue), however running stock kernel always insures percentages to be visible.
    -reflashing the rom seems to solve all issues, and I get phenominal battery life for one charging cycle, then it seems the next day the phone goes to hell.

I don't know what else to do other then to flash another rom, I love BB, but never ever have I had such a problem with a rom as I have had with this current build.
  2. hondachris

hondachris New Member

im in the same boat as you. ive never had any issue with BB until this. no matter what i did or how many times i wiped battery stats, changed kernels, reflashed, my battery would be dead in 4-5 hours. without using it. when on it i would see the battery go from 40% to 5 in less than 2 min. i dont know what it is but seeing as how i need my phone i went to UD and have had no issues so far. been running 2.5 for about a month now. i hope the next version of BB gets along with my phone better.
  3. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism New Member

So odd.. I haven't had any issues with 6.2.1 since installing. In fact, battery life has been stellar (using a sapphire LV 250-1100 kernel). Wish I could offer something more substantive.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. x25064

x25064 New Member

It seems to be a 50/50 thing on opposite sides of the spectrum. All roms and kernels are subjective to each phone, which is insanely frustrating.
  5. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

My batt life did suck initially, then I went back top stock kernel, reset the batt stats right after fully charging the batt & then unplugging, drained fully until phone died, then fully charged again..... from that point the batt has progrssively improved each day that I've used it...it didn't jump to spectacular performance the first day or two after the wipe batt stats process, but it has gotten better each day afterwards as the stats are being rebuilt.... give it more than one day of testing after the wipe, and 'do not' charge inbetween after the initial wipe'!... worth a try no?
  6. modified

modified New Member

The only thing that worked for me is a task manager. I kill every app after I use it and I started getting phenomenal battery life. It may not be recommended, but it works for me.

A little over 3 weeks until the iPhone is in my hands :)
  7. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

it wont help in the longrun
  8. killher

killher New Member

ive kept the stock kernel and im receiving amazing battery life personally. ive had my phone off the charger for 11 hours and im sitting at 60% yet.
  9. polack

polack Member

This is the first rom i've put on my phone. Prior to this i was rooted stock droid with my battery draining down in six hours because i use my phone to play podcasts and xm alot throughout my morning. After i put bb6.2.1 my battery life has gone to ten plus hours. This is with p3droids 1.25 standard voltage kernal and my phone is always running 1.25. i never drop it down. this has been the second best thing i've done to my phone since i purchased it. rooting it was by far the best thing. All this *****ing about battery life is crazy. Over the year or so i've been here lurking about i've seen guys just flashing rom over rom over rom. Maybe this is why your phone sucks now and it might not be the rom. all you guys whining should sbf back to rooted 2.2 state and reinstall from there. after of course you wipe everything. maybe then it'll be a better experience for you. And stop creating new threads for the same damn problem. We know, "YOUR" battery sucks. enough!!
  10. borq646

borq646 New Member

Easy tiger. Easy.
  11. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

+1 Stop blaming the rom for your battery problems. Every rom has posters complaining about how that rom sucks for battery life. Your phone may not run the rom optimally, or you may have messed up installing the rom, or you may need a different kernel for the rom. Or you need to uninstall your task killer. I have the best battery life I have had on any rom. Quit Blaming The ROM. If you have installed bb 0.6.2.1 correctly and no kernel, including the default, gives you good battery life, your phone is not suited for this rom.
  12. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Why wouldn't soeone who didn't know the answer NOT post in the ROM's problem thread? If I ran BB and my battery went to nothing, I would immediately assume I did something wrong. As did the OP. They tried a lot of stuff to get it working to no avail. So, they posted in here thinking it may be the ROM. That kind of post should be taken as such... the OP is frustrated that it isn't working so needs to vent a little BUT, they posted it ehre for a reason.. they want help because they want the ROM to run. Otherwise, why even bother posting. Just grab a different ROM and move on.

To the people having battery issues, I'm not saying this will work but it's at least something to test.... As we wall know, not all kernels are great for every phone. That being said, a kernel not functioning properly can jack the phone. Maybe check to see if something is constantly running.. for example.. if it's always looking for wifi but connecting and immediately disconnecting, that will kill a battery. Also, if the phone is going from 3g to 1x all the time... that means its searching for 3g which will also kill a battery...

Point is.. giving someone who needs help...help (as so far from what I see, only Mbk and modified did) instead of telling them sorry about your luck would be a far more useful post.
  13. mke236

mke236 New Member

The only thing that SUCKS HERE IS YOU. Maybe it is the rom maybe it's not. There is no way to really tell. Either way, people have a right to express their concerns and or problems. This is how progress is made, by determining what works and what doesn't. I am a huge fan of Bugless, and have ran many versions. This one in particular does seem to not like my phone battery, but I will just wait for an update I guess. Either way, chill
  14. x25064

x25064 New Member

This thread was created for all users who share negative battery experiences with this release. It is a source of problem collaboration, acquired knowledge, and hopefully solutions.

It is my hope that pete may see this thread, and with enough combined intelligent information from all troubleshooting posts within it, create a new bb version without the same problems.

I have run all versions of BB, and this by far has generated the most collaborated backlash of battery problems then all previous versions. This is not user error it is an issue that seems to affect a large number of those trying to run the latest installment. If your phone works, great, consider yourself lucky. Get off your high horse otherwise. The only ones doing the whining here are you two, the rest of us are looking for solutions.

In short, if you don't like it, GTFO of my thread.
  15. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

If you were truly interested in what you say, you might have extended one of the other 20 or 30 threads instead of starting another because you are too lazy to read them.
  16. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Active Member

so anyways...i had the same issue and then got another familiar thread and someone suggested the sappire kernals and so i tried it and its been great for me! i take the phone off the charger at 6am and at 11pm i still have 70% left! thats with a few texts one or two 10 min calls. so basically all idle. thats how it should be if the phone is not being used a lot if you ask me. good luck
  17. x25064

x25064 New Member

As stated, this thread has been started as a collective resource for all those who have problems with 6.2.1. Something that all "20-30 threads" fail to do. The main rom thread also fails to do this as many questions asked there are overlooked and ignored.

Also since you yourself were too lazy to read mine objectively, you'll notice I have tried all solutions offered within each thread you reference.

If all your going to do is piss and moan, please leave my thread. I will not bicker with you further.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  18. polack

polack Member

This is my problem, You created your own thread. even though there are twenty threads about this. Why the Mods aren't moving these all to a single sticky i don't know. But i do know you didn't need to rewrite all the same things and create a new thread. you weren't thinking. you just thought you were important enough to have your own thread. You really think pete is gonna create a new rom because a few users are having trouble working it? 95 percent of us have it dialed in perfect. only a select few are seeing the problems. Also with every single rom made there are supposed issues. to say this one is the worst isn't you looking for help and fixes, it's you crying. remove the rom and move on. you're a disease in this forum. you think you're helping but you are just adding more junk to the servers.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  19. x25064

x25064 New Member

Again see previous post.
  20. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Polak...really? Wow. Insults and derrogatory comments. Are not only not needed, they are not wanted. If I were an admin I would have deleted every post you have made in this thread.
    Since im not. I will ask you to stop or I will report you to one. Choice is yours.
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App