The Unrootable OG Droid

vagabond

Reaction score
So i've been trying to root this OG Droid 1 ( FRG83G froyo 2.2.2 ) and i'm seriously about to rage hardcore.
Things i've tried:
Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (With / without newest versions of RSD lite and moto drivers )
One click root ( It deceived me and told me it was rooted when in fact it wasn't )
-i can tell it wasn't rooted because i couldn't run *root* required applications like rom manager. It says i have the superuser app but it doesn't work...

What it's doing now:
I'm wanting to put my faith in this rsdlite sbf business, but i cannot for the life of me get the droid to even appear in the rsd lite grid so i can begin rooting it. It just doesn't happen.
Also, can't hold x and get into stock recovery. It just sits there with the little droid fella and the caution triangle....mocking me. Have to pull battery to get out of it.

Posting here to see if anyone's got any gotcha's that i might be missing. Other than all this phone boots up and operates. Don't have it activated though so calling/texting are out.
also, i'm on Win7 pro x64.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe, z4root is supposedly unable to root Droid after 2.2 update however the gingerbreak.apk might, I think its on xda too though

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you installed motoconnect?

I only ask because it will install the latest drivers for you.

Also, what version of RSDLite?

Metalspring is correct. 2.2.2 cannot be one-click rooted.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
V

vagabond

Reaction score
Have you installed motoconnect?

I only ask because it will install the latest drivers for you.

Also, what version of RSDLite?

Metalspring is correct. 2.2.2 cannot be one-click rooted.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think i was using motoconnect. I notice when i go to do the rsd step, the driver changes over from adb whatever to moto flash connect in device manager and the machine acts like it's installing the driver and what not. But nothing ever shows up in rsd. I've tried a few different versions of rsd lite from what's suggested in said walkthrough up to latest one.... (5.3 i think?) No dice...same song, next verse...... same as the first.
going to try an xp machine here sometime soon...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, but motoconnect should be disabled. I just suggested it to be sure you have the latest driver. Motoconnect will interfere with RSDLite.

Oh and to get into stock recovery at the Caution symbol, you have to push volume down then camera button I believe.

OP
V

vagabond

Reaction score
Ok, but motoconnect should be disabled. I just suggested it to be sure you have the latest driver. Motoconnect will interfere with RSDLite.
Lol, that would probably have something to do with it. I'll square that away and let you know what i find. It's always the simple things...my laptop i was doing it with is a couple hundred miles away as i'm out of town right now. gimme a day or so.

Last edited:
OP
V

vagabond

Reaction score
ok so it appears that i'm still SOL. Same symptoms, turns out i didn't have moto-connect installed. I'm throwing in some screens though to show you what i'm looking at...... maybe it'll help.

RSD Version: RSD Lite 5.3.1

moto driver:
Motoroal USB Device/Flash Interface version 3.2.11.10 (this is what's got me confused, this one only shows up when i am in the bootloader)

View attachment 39199

moto Driver : Mot Composite ADB Interface driver date: 5/19/2011 version: 1.2.7.0 (this is what i'm used to seeing, only available while phone "on" (in the os) , and i'm transferring files between it and my pc.
View attachment 39200

thanks-

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, you can't attach pics to the forum. Try hosting them somewhere and then linking them. Or you can PM me and I will look at them.

This was Windows 7 correct? You are running RSDLite as Administrator yes?

Once I see the pics, I should be able to tell you more.

OP
V

vagabond

Reaction score
Just wanted to report back and let everyone know that i've resolved the problem. (many thanks to guidot) I've been able to obtain root, install cwm recovery and install CM7. I eventually had to just use a 32bit windows xp environment with its respective drivers. I would also like to report that it's possible to completely virtualize a WinXP installation via vmware and do anything and everything you need to do as far as rsd lite and using sbf goes.

Many thanks.:)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from you!

Glad you got it straightened out. Welcome to the dark side.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.