The Unrootable Droid - PLEASE HELP ME!

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
Was this MotoCache1's method? Or the old-fashioned ESE81.SBF method?

I used MotoCache1's method, thanks for asking. Thanks for all the help so far guys, I don't mind the football threadjack at all as long as we bring it back to rooting every now and again... I did indeed have to go to sleep and then to work, so I'm going to try the suggestion on the first page right now and I'll get back to y'all ASAP and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

Cakes said it would take 3 minutes and I have an app to time that, see you soon!

The other method (root many phones with the same method) might take a couple more, but probably less than 15.

leutbneot must think we all are nuts. We spent all day here just waiting for him to come back!

Hey, if being nuts means having a rooted frickin' Droid... with frickin' sharks shooting frickin' laserbeams out of their heads, then that's the kinda nuts I wanna be!

DroidMod 12 downloading ETA: 10 seconds...

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
DroidMod12 finished downloading, told me to reboot into recovery mode and apply the "update.zip" file, just like normal. So I turn the Droid off, turn back on, boot into recovery, select option #2, "apply sdcard:update.zip", and get the following, all in yellow:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

F-A-I-L, let's all hear it for another FAILED ATTEMPT TO ROOT THIS STUPID THING!

Seriously, what could possibly be so stubborn that it's resisting literally every known way to perform a root? Is there something wrong with the hardware? Should I return the phone? I honestly don't know what to do. I was so expecting this to work, now, finally, after getting you guys on board, but this is pretty much the message I was getting over and over again on my own.

Any other ideas?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
DroidMod12 finished downloading, told me to reboot into recovery mode and apply the "update.zip" file, just like normal. So I turn the Droid off, turn back on, boot into recovery, select option #2, "apply sdcard:update.zip", and get the following, all in yellow:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

F-A-I-L, let's all hear it for another FAILED ATTEMPT TO ROOT THIS STUPID THING!

Seriously, what could possibly be so stubborn that it's resisting literally every known way to perform a root? Is there something wrong with the hardware? Should I return the phone? I honestly don't know what to do. I was so expecting this to work, now, finally, after getting you guys on board, but this is pretty much the message I was getting over and over again on my own.

Any other ideas?

Motocache1's thread covers various rsd lite issues but if that isn't working lets move onto the other option on the first page of this thread. Try this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html and let us know how you make out.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Is this in SPRecovery? If so, dumb question, are you allowing the update.zip before installing the update.zip? That's tripped up a lot of people, so it's the first question I ask and I really don't mean it to sound like I'm calling you stupid -- your first post proved that you weren't. :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
leutbneot, it seems as though you've got a good handle on how to do things and what's software and what's hardware related, otherwise you wouldn't have replaced your first droid with the bad usb port. This thread has been so jacked it's hard for me to write properly, but I'll try to help the best I can. I have NO IDEA why someone would recommend DMUpdater 12 since there is NO root option (AFAIK) yet contained within the latest DroidModUpdater release.

You have a Mac, and therefore you found that RDKamakazie's windows based script wouldn't work. And that said, christim's thread will not work for you either, it does download the files you need, but since it is a windows based program that downloads the files, it won't work either.

So, it seems as though you have adb working correctly on your mac, or is this within a windows/linux emulator? You didn't link the actual droid-life article, so I don't know if it is the latest one that includes the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file that Sebastian Krahmer created, yes? No?

Answer these questions and also, I know there is a method to get adb working on a Mac within the mac OSX (i.e. no emulator) I just don't know where it is. Do these and then let's continue.

good luck

Last edited:
OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
Is this in SPRecovery? If so, dumb question, are you allowing the update.zip before installing the update.zip? That's tripped up a lot of people, so it's the first question I ask and I really don't mean it to sound like I'm calling you stupid -- your first post proved that you weren't. :)

Haha - no, I'm not quite that clueless, and I have been at this for so long at this point that I actually spent a couple of hours one day just going through things step-by-step to make sure that I wasn't just making some MORON error like that, because lord knows we've all been there before, and it's the worst feeling in the world when you finally figure out what's been holding you back.

But I can actually totally see how a smart person could do something dumb like that without thinking twice about it. I've done it more than once while hacking other stuff (bricked an iPod 2G trying to get it to play FreeCiv... man, that would have been awesome if it had worked!), and I'm sure all of you have also. It's part of the learning curve that makes "hacking" (I sort of hate that word... like I'm a crazy "hax0Rz!!!" or something, but I guess it is what it is) so much fun.

The word "hacker", btw, always makes me think of the Angelina Jolie movie, which is completely absurd, but I've found that EVERY COMPUTER GEEK absolutely loves it, and it's not just because Angelina gets topless... it totally captures the nerd-compu-lust that was so prevalent in the late 90's and early 00's, where every MHz mattered, and every new upgrade gave you a tangible performance increase. Remember those days? I remember my first PowerPC processor, a 400 MHz G3 that seemed so goddamn fast - after years of garbage 680x0 processors in the Performas and Quadras of my youth - I thought my eyeballs were going to bleed. I was playing Marathon 2: Durandal, and I remember being able to run it full-screen with no slowdown,, and I was so happy I almost cried.

I'm trying the Terminal Emulator / Multiple phones - root them, unroot them method right now. I kinda like the idea of rooting the phone without using a computer, and the simple fact that there's a UNIX terminal emulator available for my phone is one of the main reasons I love this friggin' thing so much in the first place. Is there a Terminal Emulator available for iPhone? I don't know, but for some reason, I doubt it. Doesn't seem like something Apple would allow, especially with their whole file architecture being UNIX-based. I don't think they'd want the average user having that much access to every part of the phone.

I guess I don't know for sure, I never could stand using an iPhone long enough to get that far. It's a shame, it's such an elegant piece of hardware and the software, and it COULD be great with such little changes (I love the full version of OS X that iOS is based on, for example, but why'd they limit the multitasking so much in iOS 4? Seems dumb). Android is better just because of the ideology driving it... Android users are constantly pushing the boundaries, exploring, etc. I mean, seriously... how many iPhone users do you know of that would spend the amount of time and energy that I've clearly spent trying to root my Droid on their iPhones? It just wouldn't happen... it's not built to be that kind of system. It's more of a, "buy what we sell you, it works pretty well, looks pretty, and we'll update it often enough to keep the average user satisfied" attitude, and Android users have more of a Chuck Yeager, "I want to break the f#%king sound barrier, just BECAUSE IT'S THERE, DAMMIT!" attitude.

My $0.02, anyway. Astro, Terminal Emulator, and rageagainstthecage are all downloaded, so I'll be back in 10 or 20 minutes and let you know what happens.

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
leutbneot, it seems as though you've got a good handle on how to do things and what's software and what's hardware related, otherwise you wouldn't have replaced your first droid with the bad usb port. This thread has been so jacked it's hard for me to write properly, but I'll try to help the best I can. I have NO IDEA why someone would recommend DMUpdater 12 since there is NO root option (AFAIK) yet contained within the latest DroidModUpdater release.

You have a Mac, and therefore you found that RDKamakazie's windows based script wouldn't work. And that said, christim's thread will not work for you either, it does download the files you need, but since it is a windows based program that downloads the files, it won't work either.

So, it seems as though you have adb working correctly on your mac, or is this within a windows/linux emulator? You didn't link the actual droid-life article, so I don't know if it is the latest one that includes the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file that Sebastian Krahmer created, yes? No?

Answer these questions and also, I know there is a method to get adb working on a Mac within the mac OSX (i.e. no emulator) I just don't know where it is. Do these and then let's continue.

good luck

Hey there, thanks for contributing. The first time I tried the adb method, I was using the Terminal program that comes with OSX in the Utilities section, you just need to use the command ./adb instead of adb. It's pretty much the same... it's just a standard UNIX terminal. And yes, I was using the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file from Sebastian Krahmer.

That being said, I've also tried doing the whole thing from within my VMFusion Windows emulator, which is now down to five days left from my original 30 day tryout, with equal amounts of success... ZERO. I'm off to try the computer-less version of the same method now, using the Android Terminal Emulator program by Jack Palevich. Be back in a bit.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you were in stock recovery tho too no? You said option 2 and option 2 is allow and option 3 is install(deprecated). Bad DMUpdater....

OP
L

leutbneot

Reaction score
I think you were in stock recovery tho too no? You said option 2 and option 2 is allow and option 3 is install(deprecated). Bad DMUpdater....

Oh noes, you could be right, actually. Does DMUpdater send you to stock recovery? I've never used it before.

OR...

A thought occurs to me, which is the fact that in wiping everything from my phone last night in what may have been a slightly rash fit of frustration, I perhaps erased SPRecovery and Clockwork, thereby erasing my ability to install the update.zip file downloaded by DMUpdater. Could this be the reason update.zip didn't install just now? Do I need to re-download SPR? Am I so stupid that I erased my own recovery loading program while attempting to put my phone back to stock?

Oh man, that's totally what happened, I bet. Argh. Well, I'm going to try this other method anyway, I'm already in my Terminal and playing around in UNIX is fun. If it works, great, but if not, what do you guys think I should do? Re-download SPR / ClockworkMod and then reboot (holding x, but this time I'd be booting into SPR instead of the stock recovery mode, right?), and then try to run update.zip again? Would that work, maybe?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I am sure that you will get this to work. Patience grasshopper. If you have done 'run' the rage..etc file which I KNOW you have, it is very odd that you would get hung up on the adb push su /system/bin command. OH BUT WAIT, THERE'S more! I just saw a glaring failure. Hope this does it:
Code:
adb push su /system/bin/su

Seems pretty simple, and I don't know if you've already tried it, but I just had to re-read your OP and that's what I saw, unless you did a typo.

good luck

allineman

Reaction score
You're getting the same message I got on my first attempt to install a custom rom... My mistake was renaming it to Update.zip..... I just renamed it to Update without the .zip (file extension was there just hidden) and it has never failed since... Some OS show up as update.zip.zip....
Hope it helpsdancedroid