The Ultimate Apps2sd Thread!

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by GodfatherIP, Mar 3, 2011.

1. -iD

-iD Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah. I have a post there, he's gonna troubleshoot weird thing is on cm 7 all I had to do was install 99 complete and it worked instantly. without the 99 script it didn't work. adding the ext2.ko didn't help.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot, for me, i needed to use the ext2.ko module to get link2sd working on motodroid with project elite 5.0.2 and stock kernel it comes with. not using deprimed. very smooth, extremely fast. thanks again.

3. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    FYI
    Bakpinar just updated the app with some nice fixes for management.
    Not sure if it is up on the market but it is up on the apps thread on xda.
    Enjoy
    and if you are a registered member and like his app, drop the man a thanks
    always makes a person feel good

4. thorn11166

thorn11166 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you still can't get it to work then i found this might work for you
    change the mounting directory in /etc/init.d/05mountsd to "/data/sdext2"

5. zachdroid

zachdroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When I flash a new update to a rom do I need to unmount all of the apps if I'm using link2sd as I'm using primes kernel and not the stock one for tbe added speed and support.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

6. zachdroid

zachdroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Why when compcache is enable do you think I am unable to see the apps on the partition? They don't even show up in the link2sd app list. When I shut off compcache everything is back to the way it was before.

7. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I haven't had that happen but maybe it is causing the ext not to mount after boot and you just need a hot reboot and then they will show up. I suggest you try that first.
    Also, did you have compcache running when you began link app the first time?
    If not maybe you need to so that it will recognize what space compcache is using and therefore run a different mount script since it has 4 different scripting attempts.

8. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So my Droid broke and I just got my "new" (refurb) Droid from Asurion and I was setting everything up again. I decided to go with ext3 and did things a little differently this time around and wanted give a quick tutorial to set it up. I hit some bumps along the way that I'll mention but I think I solved the problems so maybe it can help out other people experiencing the same issues.

So before anyone starts you have to have your partitions set up, if you don't know how to do it see my OP.

Install CM7 and a kernel that supports ext3 (or ext2 or ext4 or whatever you chose for your partition, I am using Prime's latest deprimed kernel and it should support them all). Delete the 05mountsd script from /system/etc/init.d (This script mounts the sdext partition in a way that is used by firerat's script but it is different than the link2sd method and can mess things up. You can delete it with root explorer or some other method after the rom is installed or you can use winrar to delete it from the update.zip before installing with rom manager).

Reboot

Install and run link2sd it should ask you what type of partition you have so select what partition type you used (in my case it was ext3). It should install its own mountsd script and will tell you to reboot.

So reboot.

Now you should be able to use link2sd to move apps to your ext partition, woo hoo! However, remember the bump I mentioned....

After I linked a whole bunch of apps and rebooted all of a sudden my linked apps weren't showing up, but link2sd still showed that I had a 2nd partition that was ~50% full, wtf? So then I remembered my old 99complete script, but I don't need the extra stuff because link2sd is mounting the sdcard, I just need the stuff that makes it sync my apps so I deleted everything except:

sync;
    setprop lk.filesystem.ready 1;

and put the 99complete script into /system/etc/init.d and rebooted and it now it seems to work much better (there is a zip attached with this script in it, not an installable zip just a regular zip file).

Occasionally it still messes up but it seems to happen if I quickly start to try doing stuff as soon as the phone boots, if it messes up I just reboot and give it a few seconds before I start messing with it and all of my apps show up. Hopefully this will help people that are having problems.

#20 GodfatherIP, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  9. GoBigOrGoHome70

Ratings:
    +0
    Great thread, nice work, you've saved me a lot of time. A few notes for those that may follow later: once you've done all of the stuff as described, make sure to go to the Menu in Link2SD. This is where you can determine the space on your partition, move your Dalvik cache, etc. It took me a minute or two to figure this out.

10. dpaine88

dpaine88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for this info.

Running Project Elite 4.2 with Deprimed Kernel

I spent several hours trying but I cannot get the ext3 partition to mount properly after a reboot.

Works fine, then I reboot and then all my Linked Apps are gone. I must do a Hot Reboot to get them back.

I tried the 99complete script and also from deprimed thread changing 11link2sd and no luck.

11. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61

This is simple, but you didn't link the actual "Link2SD" app did you? If you did this, I believe your links will not work.

Mine worked fine too at first, but after a reboot, all of my links were broken. After some digging, I realized that I had linked the actual app by accident. I reinstalled Link2SD through Root Explorer and everything has been good since.

Edit: Not sure if it helps but I am using the 11link2sd file that the app created when I installed it. No modification should be needed as long as you created the right partition (i.e. ext3).

Verify that your 11link2sd file is correct:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #added by link2sd
    sleep 2
    mount -t ext3 /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2

mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2
    Your permissions should be: rwxr-x---

#23 sbenson, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  12. zachdroid

zachdroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    In the cyanogen forum check out @primes kernel thread, titled break it if you can. Page 71 has the info that helped me. Simple scripting should get you right

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App