The Ultimate Apps2sd Thread!

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by GodfatherIP, Mar 3, 2011.

1. GoBigOrGoHome70

GoBigOrGoHome70 New Member

Great thread, nice work, you've saved me a lot of time. A few notes for those that may follow later: once you've done all of the stuff as described, make sure to go to the Menu in Link2SD. This is where you can determine the space on your partition, move your Dalvik cache, etc. It took me a minute or two to figure this out.
  2. dpaine88

dpaine88 New Member

Thanks guys for this info.

Running Project Elite 4.2 with Deprimed Kernel

I spent several hours trying but I cannot get the ext3 partition to mount properly after a reboot.

Works fine, then I reboot and then all my Linked Apps are gone. I must do a Hot Reboot to get them back.

I tried the 99complete script and also from deprimed thread changing 11link2sd and no luck.
  3. sbenson

sbenson New Member

This is simple, but you didn't link the actual "Link2SD" app did you? If you did this, I believe your links will not work.

Mine worked fine too at first, but after a reboot, all of my links were broken. After some digging, I realized that I had linked the actual app by accident. I reinstalled Link2SD through Root Explorer and everything has been good since.

Edit: Not sure if it helps but I am using the 11link2sd file that the app created when I installed it. No modification should be needed as long as you created the right partition (i.e. ext3).

Verify that your 11link2sd file is correct:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #added by link2sd
    sleep 2
    mount -t ext3 /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2

mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2
    Your permissions should be: rwxr-x---
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. zachdroid

zachdroid New Member

In the cyanogen forum check out @primes kernel thread, titled break it if you can. Page 71 has the info that helped me. Simple scripting should get you right

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. dpaine88

dpaine88 New Member

Thanks for the reply man. I did not link or put the Link2SD app on the SD card itself, and my 11link2sd file is identical to yours. I think I am going to have to use some scripts.

Thanks man, I went there and did this

st

but wasn't able to get it working still :(
  6. GoBigOrGoHome70

GoBigOrGoHome70 New Member

Today Prime created a flashable zip which may help some of you. You should flash this pre-install of Link2SD, but I believe it works after install too. I don't believe you will need the 99Complete file from a previous post in this thread with this zip. I could be wrong, so someone jump in if I am. Prime tweeted the link, so I've reproduced his tweet below.

#cyanogenmod Link2SD Users: This is a link2sd pre-installation zip, it will remove /etc/init.d/05mountsd (mounts to /sd-ext) and replace it with a modified version that mounts (and scans if an issue is detected) the second (ext2/3/4) based SD Card partition using the ext4 driver.

You need to make certain /data/sdext2 exists before flashing the zip/using link2sd...this is a safety measure to prevent any possible mishaps with a previous /data/sdext2 setup.

Link2sd Pre-installation Flashable zip: http://bit.ly/gpGpKX
  7. armin369

armin369 New Member

Yesterday I spent about 5+ hours on trying to set up my Link2SD. I partitioned my SDcard to EXT2 Primary using Mini-Tool. It worked but then my SD card would not show up when I connected my phone to my computer, but it would show up in Mini-Tool. So I formated my SD card again and tried to setting up my Link2SD but I would get the mount error when I ran the app and chose EXT2. I did run the command in TE but it would give me an "Invalid argument" message. Can someone help me with this, please??
  8. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Do you have rom manager? That's how I did mine and it worked flawlessly.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  9. armin369

armin369 New Member

I do but when I partitioned it using ROM Manager, it partitioned into ext3. What I'm wondering is why I get "invalid Argument" when I run the command in TE
  10. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

If you are on CM7 you need to delete the 05mountsd script from /system/etc/init.d because it mounts the ext partition in a way that is not compatible with link2sd. If you are using the deprimed kernel by prime he has some links in the 3rd post that will install the proper scripts for using link2sd. With deprimed kernel you should be able to use ext2, ext3, or ext4.
  11. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

What command are you running in terminal emulator?
  12. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

You said you partitioned with mini-tool, did you make sure your fat32 partition was the first partition on the card? It should be fat32 (primary) then ext2 (primary) when you look at the partitions in Mini-Tool. If fat32 is not your first partition that could cause issues.
  13. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

Godfather
    I'm wondering if he is using a kernel that doesn't install the correct ext.ko module from system/lib/modules
    Where you insmod ext2.ko or ext3.ko or 4.
    Any idea what the best way is for him to find that out?
  14. armin369

armin369 New Member

I will try this when I get home today, but is there anyway to just use the stock kernel instead of flashing Prime's? Prime's deprimed kernel is amazingly smooth but the battery life is decreased by 20% on my phone when I use his kernel :(
  15. armin369

armin369 New Member

"su
    mkdir /data/sdext2
    mount -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2"

^^^^ That's the command I run in TE

In Mini Tool it shows FAT32 as primary and then I created an EXT2 (500MB) and set it as primary also. Those were my only two partitions
  16. armin369

armin369 New Member

Ext.ko doesn't exist in my Modules folder but ext2,3,4 are there.

Edit: I am using the stock CM7 Kernel since the battery life on that is good for my phone.
  17. danceswithbongs

Sorry but a little unclear. Are you saying you have in system/lib/modules ext2.ko and .ko modules for 3 and 4 as well?

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs
  18. armin369

armin369 New Member

I have the following in my system/lib/modules:

1)ext2.ko
    2)ext3.ko
    3)ext4.ko
  19. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

So it gives the "invalid argument" response after you run the last line? I am guessing it is from the 05mountsd script that comes with CM7. The partition is likely already mounted as /sd-ext rather than as /data/sdext2 as is required for link2sd thus causing an error when you try to mount it as something else. If you delete the 05mountsd script and reboot then run link2sd it should detect your partition and make its own script to mount the ext partition on boot. It sounds like you have all of the proper modules (ext2, ext3, and ext4) so you should be able to make it work with the stock kernel. If link2sd won't make a script for you then you could try the link2sd script provided by Prime in the 3rd post of his kernel thread. I'm not sure if prime's link2sd script would work fine with the stock CM kernel but I am guessing it would (you could ask him in his kernel thread, he is generally very responsive and helpful).

Also if you can't get it working with the stock kernel and you don't want to use deprimed you might try his primed kernel as I think it is closer to the stock CM kernel than deprimed. There is also reprimed though, maybe that is the one similar to stock? I have lost track of all his different kernels. Maybe you should ask Prime which of his kernel is closest to stock as I know at one point he made one that was basically the stock CM kernel with working compcache. Good luck.
  20. danceswithbongs

Godfather
    You know much more overall so let me run this by you.
    Even though he has the ext.ko modules, is it possible he needs to run insmod commands to load the driver still?
    Or if the module exists, it means that it had already loaded the drivers upon first boot?
    I know on some kernels that the link2SD couldn't script for, I was able to accomplish it after running the appropriate insmod command with one of the ext.ko 2 through 4, depending on the kernel.

I want to help get you running the app but at the same time, don't want to mess anything of yours up, or turn a five minute solution into a 5 hour nightmare.
    Okay, make a backup first and if we don't hear back from Godfather regarding my thoughts in the next hour or two, reply on the thread that you are ready, backed up and have a terminal app. I think you wrote you did but I'll err on the side of caution.
    When I get notified of the new post, I'll write out the commands to run and steps to take.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs