The Trick In The KitKat Treat?

AndroidDissected

Authorized Affiliate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androiddissected.com

The art of gaining root on our devices has been a game of cat and mouse nearly since the inception of this operating system we love called Android. Each version of Android and/or an OEM’s own security practices may bring new challenges for the developers to crack in order to allow the end user the freedom to do as they wish with their devices. And with each successful attempt to break in, the authors of the code look for new ways in which to plug the holes. On Halloween 2013, Google introduced their latest iteration of their OS Android 4.4, also known by the moniker “Kit Kat”, and with it implemented several new security improvements. SELinux, first seen in 4.3, moved to an “enforcing” mode rather than the previous “permissive” state. Other changes included support for a different method of encryption in signing keys for apps, handling certificates in a more secure manner and the use of a check code in the kernel to verify the file structure of the system at boot. It is this last mentioned change that could play a major role in the ever escalating battle between the source and the developers in this game.

(Continue Reading @ Android Dissected)

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
404 Error :(

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Great article indeed. I have to say, I have never rooted my Nexus 7 or Nexus 7 2013, no need to. However, if it got to a point where I couldn't root my phone, I would have to go Nexus devices only that have not been in the hands of a carrier first.

There is no way I could have a device from a carrier that was not able to root. I have been spoiled and there is no going back.