The stock music app - a really dumb question

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
My new GS5 (but I've had this mystery with my GS4 as well with the stock music app). I've read the manual word for word and nowhere does it tell you how to turn the music OFF. There's no "off" anywhere. I can "pause" it. I can fast forward or rewind it but I can't turn the damned thing off. So, here's the deal. I hit the home button to close out the music gui and, I'm thinking, I'm done. But noooo. In the upper left hand corner of the screen is a "pause" sign...which is what I did before getting out and to the home page. I can't get rid of it without powering down and rebooting. Am I loosing my marbles here or is the obvious thing missing? God forbid they could explain this in the manual. I don't know who writes those things but if it were me, I'd pull a Donald Trump on them and fire them all LOL...
Bottom button, left side is your recent apps. Hit it, find what you want closed by scrolling up/down. Whatever you want closed, swipe that frame to the side. It will be closed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I finally saw that but it still begs the question. Why can't you turn off an app from within the app? I finally found one (a very nice one) that does have "exit" as one of the menu options.

Music Player - Android Apps on Google Play

I bought the pro version (cheap enough at $1.99) after trying out the free version.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I finally saw that but it still begs the question. Why can't you turn off an app from within the app? I finally found one (a very nice one) that does have "exit" as one of the menu options.

Music Player - Android Apps on Google Play

I bought the pro version (cheap enough at $1.99) after trying out the free version.

It's Android thing. Most (not all) apps are suspended when they are not in the foreground. With the music app, it listens for Bluetooth headsets to give commands, for instance. Faster than navigating all the way back to where you left off. It doesn't hurt the battery for the app to remain in stasis. At least not as long as it's not syncing with cloud storage in the background.
This used to annoy me as well, but I learned to ignore it over the years.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk