The stock music app - a really dumb question

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
My new GS5 (but I've had this mystery with my GS4 as well with the stock music app). I've read the manual word for word and nowhere does it tell you how to turn the music OFF. There's no "off" anywhere. I can "pause" it. I can fast forward or rewind it but I can't turn the damned thing off. So, here's the deal. I hit the home button to close out the music gui and, I'm thinking, I'm done. But noooo. In the upper left hand corner of the screen is a "pause" sign...which is what I did before getting out and to the home page. I can't get rid of it without powering down and rebooting. Am I loosing my marbles here or is the obvious thing missing? God forbid they could explain this in the manual. I don't know who writes those things but if it were me, I'd pull a Donald Trump on them and fire them all LOL...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Try the back button to exit? You can't clear the notification?

I use Google Play Music (highly recommended by me) and the notification stays for quite a while if I just pause and exit the app, but I can swipe it away at any time when it's paused. This is on my Note 4. I stream most of my music from GPM, so the only song I even have in the samsung player is the default one. On a side note, sometimes pressing play on my bluetooth car device starts Samsung music and that stupid song.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This may be different on a GS5, but on my Note III (my work phone) I also see the pause symbol in the notification area after stopping music with the default Music app. But when I swipe down the notification panel there is an X button on the right side and closes the Music app. I personally prefer the Play Music app over many stock music players, but that's just my opinion. IMG_20150618_091625 (640x595).jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This may be different on a GS5, but on my Note III (my work phone) I also see the pause symbol in the notification area after stopping music with the default Music app. But when I swipe down the notification panel there is an X button on the right side and closes the Music app. I personally prefer the Play Music app over many stock music players, but that's just my opinion.View attachment 75084
Time Marches On.

rottenpixies

Reaction score
I would suggest MX player. Saves where yiou left off when you close it.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll try them all.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Try the back button to exit? You can't clear the notification?

I use Google Play Music (highly recommended by me) and the notification stays for quite a while if I just pause and exit the app, but I can swipe it away at any time when it's paused. This is on my Note 4. I stream most of my music from GPM, so the only song I even have in the samsung player is the default one. On a side note, sometimes pressing play on my bluetooth car device starts Samsung music and that stupid song.
+1 on Google Play Music, great app, great service (All Access FTW)!!. If you never use the Samsung Music app, maybe you could avoid the bluetooth autostart issue by freezing it?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's because the stock music player is used to play other media besides the media you download. I always do what @sajokaz suggested. Pull down your notification bar and click on the "x", that closes it. This also works for other music/media players like iHeart radio, TuneIn, Prime etc.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's because the stock music player is used to play other media besides the media you download. I always do what @sajokaz suggested. Pull down your notification bar and click on the "x", that closes it. This also works for other music/media players like iHeart radio, TuneIn, Prime etc.

S5 tap'n
& Play Music, YouTube...

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5

S5 tap'n
Ah, like when you select a different notification tone and it "previews" it automatically? makes sense. I wonder how this works on phones that are vanilla android, like a Nexus 5, does it use the Google Music player for that?