The state of Droid X roms

MoreGeeBeez

Reaction score
Well I've had issues with every rom I try. Apex, Focused, Blurry & Fission. The "AOSP" stuff always lacks functionality and Blurry is just a tweaked OTA. I realized calling these roms is quite a stretch. It's either sacrifice speed for functionality or vice versa.

Well I had big issues with Focused 1.6 and had to SBF back to stock. After rooting I thought I would give JRummy's app a shot at modifying my OTA. The end result is basically equivalent to most "roms".

-undervolted to ULV 1.0ghz with the on demand governor
-tweaked the ring delay, proximity delay & other build properties
-LCD density tweak
-Modified how the stock memory manager works
-disable boot animation
-retains 100% functionality
-renamed bloatware
-When the next OTA come I can update right away, reroot and use this app

The end result is very stable and very fast. JRummy's app has replaced my need for a rom because it is stable, works and is easily reversible. I no longer hate blur and realized I missed a few key features. JRummy is adding features almost daily so it can only get better. Until the bootloader is cracked and a real rom is realeased this is how I'm customizing my phone. I would recommend this to anyone who is on the edge or having trouble using roms with the Droid X.

Anyone else underwhelmed with the roms for the X?

hyperlite

Reaction score
Well I've had issues with every rom I try. Apex, Focused, Blurry & Fission. The "AOSP" stuff always lacks functionality and Blurry is just a tweaked OTA. I realized calling these roms is quite a stretch. It's either sacrifice speed for functionality or vice versa.

Well I had big issues with Focused 1.6 and had to SBF back to stock. After rooting I thought I would give JRummy's app a shot at modifying my OTA. The end result is basically equivalent to most "roms".

-undervolted to ULV 1.0ghz with the on demand governor
-tweaked the ring delay, proximity delay & other build properties
-LCD density tweak
-Modified how the stock memory manager works
-disable boot animation
-retains 100% functionality
-renamed bloatware
-When the next OTA come I can update right away, reroot and use this app

The end result is very stable and very fast. JRummy's app has replaced my need for a rom because it is stable, works and is easily reversible. I no longer hate blur and realized I missed a few key features. JRummy is adding features almost daily so it can only get better. Until the bootloader is cracked and a real rom is realeased this is how I'm customizing my phone. I would recommend this to anyone who is on the edge or having trouble using roms with the Droid X.

Anyone else underwhelmed with the roms for the X?

This is mostly true, due to the fact that we don't have any bootloader access. Might i suggest you download "Spare Parts" and do the transition speed tweaks. It'll feel even faster. I should point out though that rooting immediately after an OTA is never guaranteed.

I think a stock OTA build is much easier to bog down then many of the custom roms, irregardless of blur implementation. The only blur parts i need are HDMI and blurcamera, so i'm running apex...which i have been mostly happy with. i'll probbably give blurry 1.0 a shot next week...or if fission gets HDMI support...

Theres also just an allure to bending this thing to our will, plus basically limitless visual customization.

cpjr

Reaction score
Thats not exactly equivalent to most ROMs (even from what we call ROMs on the X), considering alot of them have zip aligned and optimized apk's or completely re-written apps either from source or elsewhere. Alot of this stuff isnt something you would necessarily "see" but makes a difference in the big picture.

With that being said, when it boils down to it, its all up to the individual and his/her own personal likes - and if your happy and your setup works for you....thats all that matters ;)

I am running Rubix 1.6 and OCéd @ 1.45ghz - the phone is stable and it SCREAMS.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried ChevyNo1's SS for the X. It came out on sunday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk