The speaker / volume on the GN is a deal breaker...

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by doublevalley, Dec 17, 2011.

1. doublevalley

doublevalley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I got the GN yesterday--upgrading from an OG. I really like it a lot (although most anything would be preferable to an OG at this point save the iPhone :biggrin:). It's very fast and responsive and ICS is great. The camera seems fine. Picture quality is adequate for a cell phone and it runs at light speed compared to the 4 minute boot-up of the OG camera (I do miss the dedicated shutter button though). And the stock ICS keyboard is really good--I still haven't replaced it with Swiftkey X! Overall, an impressive phone...

HOWEVER...

The speaker on this thing SUUUUUUUUCKSSSSSSSSSS!

I really hope its a software issue which can be tweaked (I've not tried Volume+ yet, although that shouldn't be required on a flagship phone at this price point) and not the physical speaker itself. I can hardly hear a thing with the speakerphone turned on. I used to listen to Pandora, IHR, etc. on the OG speaker and typically had to turn the volume down cause it was just too loud (could easily hear it across the room even with lots of other commotion). The GN is way too low by comparison. The speakerphone is useless unless you are by yourself in a Anechoic chamber and not breathing. And forget about video chats with GTalk, the mute might as well be on. Really bad!!!

In fairness, the volume and clarity of the earset is excellent and the best on any phone I've ever used. Unfortunately, I use a speaker way too often for the low volume of the GN to work for me--major deal breaker. I'm seriously considering swapping it out for a Rezound.

Anyone else disappointed by the volume / speaker on the GN? Any idea if it's software / fixable or a hardware limitation?

#1 doublevalley, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. breedingh8

breedingh8 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My razr is so loud I have to keep it down or it rattles the speaker ;)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

3. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
  4. larsonage

larsonage New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I was kind of disappointed with the volume/speaker. I usually use the speaker phone while I'm driving. It's lower then my 4S. Have you downloaded and listen to music on your GN. The songs sound robotic. I was playing around with the equalizer but it still sounded bad. Hopefully updates will fix this.

5. champaned_out

champaned_out Member

Ratings:
    +4
    keep in mind anyone upgrading from a OG Droid will consider the volume/speaker function on any new phones to be low... im not saying theres nothing wrong with the GN as i dont own one but the og droid probably has one of the loudest speakers ive ever come across... when i upgraded to my thunderbolt i was disappointed in the speakerphone quality compared to the og droid

6. volando

volando Member

Ratings:
    +0
    not a game changer, but as everyone says - the volume level is just atrocious, and not just on the speaker - same crap on normal earpiece volume. What was Samsung thinking???

7. INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah the speaker preset volume is rediculous but with the volume+ app mentioned above, I now have the volume as loud as my og and it sounds great. No popping and no cracking. If u get the app I suggest setting it around 10 to 12. Anyways my opinion I would not hold out on getting this phone cause of the volume. There's ways around it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

8. tc1

tc1 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Same... Motos speakers are very loud and clear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

9. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Wow that's a lot better. Thanks for the Volume+ suggestion the speaker volume is a lot closer to what my OG had now. :D

10. Jamar

Jamar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem with volume? I'm pleased with it!

11. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Are all of you guys buying the full version if the Volume+ app? The free version does help a bit but is limited.

I know the full version is only $1.62, but I don't really want to have to buy an app to fix this issue...

12. Vakharn

Vakharn Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Is there serious danger of reducing the life of your speaker with this app? I assume it increases the voltage being sent to the speaker.

Search tags for this page
galaxy nexus, pandora volume down
how can i increase the speaker volume on my non rooted galax
samsung galaxy s4 call volume is low

samsung nexus volume too low

speaker phone for galaxy nexus