The smartphone is the most frivolous and unnecessary device one can have

saobi

Reaction score
All this smartphone, droid, iphone, blackberry, nokia, etc. Is it really that useful and indispensable? You take such a small sized screen, trying to type on a touchscreen (one mistake every 2 letters), squint your eyes to view some webpage. Come on, don't you have better things to do in life?

I was walking on the street and saw 3 people, apparently friends, eating at a casual restaurant, and for 10 mins, each has his/her head lowered, doing something apparently very important on his/her smartphone, texting/facebooking/twittering/messaging/blogging/emailing, I wondered, why did those 3 people bother to meet in person anyway, they will end up spending more time on their phones than talking to each other during the whole time they were together in the restaurant, why not just stay at home for 8 hours and just communicate thru text messaging/twiter/facebook instead?

Btw, when is the 2.1 coming out? I've been checking on Droid everyday but still haveen't gotten it.

Last edited:

sc4fpse

Reaction score
All this smartphone, droid, iphone, blackberry, nokia, etc. Is it really that useful and indispensable? You take such a small sized screen, trying to type on a touchscreen (one mistake every 2 letters), squint your eyes to view some webpage. Come on, don't you have better things to do in life?

I was walking on the street and saw 3 people, apparently friends, eating at a casual restaurant, and for 10 mins, each has his/her head lowered, doing something apparently very important on his/her smartphone, texting/facebooking/twittering/messaging/blogging/emailing, I wondered, why did those 3 people bother to meet in person anyway, they will end up spending more time on their phones than talking to each other during the whole time they were together in the restaurant, why not just stay at home for 8 hours and just communicate thru text messaging/twiter/facebook instead?

Btw, when is the 2.1 coming out? I've been checking on Droid everyday but still haveen't gotten it.

lol. I see what you did there.

*golf clap*

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
i don't get it, you think the smart phone is useless, yet you have one... and on top of that you are anxiously awaiting a software update for a device you don't feel you need.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but you seem to be contradicting your self.
If the phone is unnecessary, why did you get one. If you dont need yours, there's plenty of people that would love to have yours.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I find my Droid the most handy thing ever. I can communicate with my GF that I don't get to see very often due to college/work. When I'm waiting at the bank for them to fix my account due to a messup recently, I browse the internet and talk to friends on ebuddy.

But yeah, I don't get those people at restaurants and places like starbucks that just pound on their phones the entire time. But to each his/her own.

akj27

Reaction score
I was about to say you must be 60 but then read the last sentence. Some people on here will actually get trolled by you, such as Cyrus.

Last edited:

R1Lover

Reaction score
only because some people can't read more then the first sentence lol

nice post lol

p.s. it's out...

mikabl

Reaction score
Very nice! First I thought troll, but then your punch line gave it away! I give you 5 out of 5 for it!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Saobi,

Takes one sarcastic nut to really appreciate another's handiwork...

Well done!

cuskit

Reaction score
Okay - cool post! Very witty. But I would also add that I just happen to know what those three friends were doing. They were texting each other so that you couldn't read their lips. The text messages went something like this:

"Don't look up, but there's a weirdo standing across the street staring at us. He's been there for the past ten minutes, and has not once looked anywhere but at us"
"Oh geez, you keep an eye on him - but keep your head down so he doesn't know you are aware of him. Meanwhile - I'm going to call 911 and tell them we have a stalker"
"Okay - and I'll text Mom and let her know what's happening in case the police call her"
"That's good! Oh no! He looks like he's coming closer!"
"OMG! I'm getting scared! Why is his hand in his pocket? You think he has a knife or a gun?"
"I'm not sure, but it looks like he has something very bulky in there, maybe a brick?"
"Or maybe a remote control switch for a bomb or something! I read that's how they blow up these Starbucks cafe's over in England!"
"Oh jeezus willy's! I think I just peed in my pants! Why is he staring at us so intently? I'm really flippin' out here!"
"Okay - I just got the police - they said to sit still, not to look at him and maybe entice him into a confrontation. They should be here in a couple of minutes!"
"Mom is not home - all I got was the answering machine. I'll try texting her cell"
"Wait - he's walking back to the other side again! Maybe he's leaving?"
"No, he's still staring! Man, I really don't like the look on his face! He's definitely got some issues! He's really scaring me now!"
"Can't we just get up and leave? Maybe run into the gym next door? There should be a lot of strong guys in there that can help us!"
"No! The police said not to move! And stop lifting your head - he's going to be onto us if you keep looking up!"
"I'm not lifting my head! I'm still looking straight at my Droid phone, but I can see him in the reflection of the screen! He's still there!"
"Why did we have to skip the last class? We could have been safe inside right now!"
"Hey! You're the one that wanted to get a Grande Mocca! I just came because you told me to! Now look at what's happening! We're gonna die!"
"Yippie! Here comes the police! There driving driving around the corner right now!"
"Does he see them? I'm afraid to look! What if he just pulls a gun and starts shooting?"
"Don't worry! The cops have Glocks in this town! That pyscho doesn't have a prayer!"
"WTH!" The cop just kept going! He didn't even slow down! What are we gonna do now?"
"Keep looking at your screen! Pretend you are doing something - working on a google search for class or something. Just DON"T look up!"
""I'm outta here! I can't take this anymore! I'm running for the gym! Who's with me?"
"Okay - you go first! If he doesn't shoot you, then we'll follow!"
"Gee, thanks! I though you were my friend!"
"Well - you said you were going to abandon us and leave us to that jerk so that he can cut us up into small pieces with that knife in his pocket!"
"Wait! It's not a knife or bomb remote control! It's a Droid! He took it out and is talking to someone! Look - it's okay! He's just another Droidian! Probably was trying to see if we had Droids too!"
"You're right! Oh Man! Am I ever happy and relieved! We're gonna live!"
"Can we go back to class now?"
"Not me - I have to go home and change my pants!"
"Okay - see you in class later! Don't forget to text me when you leave the house! Or leave me an email so's I know when you're on the way back."
"Okay - give me a minute! I have to tell everyone about this on my Facebook page!"
"Can't you just Twitter it? A lot quicker!"
"No - I want to post the pix I took with my Droid camera while nobody was looking! I figured we needed a photo of this jerk to show the cops in case he ran off!"
"Okay - can you picture message me that photo?"
"Sure - here ya go - it's on it's way!"
"Okay - I got it! Wow! Great picture! You know -that guys not bad looking! He's kinda sexy now that I look at the photo!"
"Damn! He's already gone! Did you see where he went? I want to see if he'll go out with me this weekend!"
"Did you have Buzz on at the time? Maybe he did too and you can find him that way!"

And so on and so forth.... :) mikey

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i don't get it, you think the smart phone is useless, yet you have one... and on top of that you are anxiously awaiting a software update for a device you don't feel you need.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but you seem to be contradicting your self.
If the phone is unnecessary, why did you get one. If you dont need yours, there's plenty of people that would love to have yours.

Everyone thinks they have a sense of humor. They can't all be right.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP gets my POTD award.

Cuskit get's ROTD award.

Thanks to both of you guys. I needed a laugh.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Hey, Cyrus, that wooshing noise seems to have messed up your hair. Better fix it. ;)

th9203

Reaction score
60 ain't so bad...

I was about to say you must be 60 but then read the last sentence. Some people on here will actually get trolled by you, such as Cyrus.

AND JUST WHAT IS WRONG WITH BEING 60? :mad:

You should be so lucky. Not only did we get to see and use the DROID the way WE choose, we got to see and understand where it came from. We can only imagine what the next 60 will bring. :icon_eek: