The situation for Mac users who have 2.1 OTA kind of sucks, development people

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Agentbolt, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Agentbolt

Agentbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having stability issues with Ultimate Droid so I put the phone back to stock, and got 2.1. Now the 2.1 ROMS seem pretty secure, so I figured I'd flash back, only to realize I can't.

More distressing, the general consensus appears to be "screw you hippy, reflash to 2.0.1 using SBF" Which I'd be happy to do, except there's NO way to do this when running a mac. Yeah, I could pay 200 bucks for a copy of Windows and Parallels, or I could find a friend with a computer and go "hey buddy I need to plug my phone into your computer, install a bunch of drivers and programs, and use it to hack my phone", but those are kind of crappy options.

I've donated to the Droidmod team and happily used other mods, and would've donated to them too if it'd been an option. The hacked ROMs are great and the people working on them do stellar work. It kind of sucks that the situation for us Mac users who don't want to pirate software or spend 200 bucks to "fix" the phone have been told this

"To anyone who is waiting around for DMUpdater to be able to root 2.1 directly (without flashing recovery via sbf or other means): You’re waiting for something that will never come. No one is working on this, and no one will." - from the Droidmod website

That's the only option for a lot of people, guys. If you don't feel like including Mac users or whatever, that's fine, but just be aware some of us are in the lurch.

2. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you live? Come one over.

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +223
    I feel for you man. A couple of us looked all over and researched as much as we could and there's just no good solid way to flash the sbf for Mac users. Seen some trial stuff, but it's only good for 30 days so you son't be able to do it again. I can find the link for that if you'd like, other than that Macs are gonna have to find a PC buddy.

4. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
  5. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I have a mac and was able to flash with vmware fusion. Like he said though I am only on the 30 day trial of vmware. But it did work so you can flash from a mac. After the 30 days are up I am kind of screwed though. I will just use a friends comp if I need to flash an sbf again. Or I may just bite the bullet and buy a version of windows Boot Camp supports.

6. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
  7. Agentbolt

Agentbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I wasn't aware there was a trial version of Windows AND VMware, I should look into it.

Sorry the overall negative tone of my post, I know almost everyone in the dev community works hard for nothing other than to help the Droid community. I just get frustrated when I see people discussing the situation with the tone in the quote I posted in my first post. "Stop waiting for a fix, it's not gonna happen, IDIOT."

Then again, it does seem Droidmod.org in particular does adopt that particular tone a lot, often just to edit it a few hours later because "everyone else" took it out of context :icon_rolleyes:

8. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    shrubberies...priceless!!!

i understand your delema. me and another memeber scoured the wed and some IT guys he knew trying to find a solution for Macs. dont get to frustrated for every one thats got a bad tone theres plenty out there more than happy to help. i hope you have good luck in getting your Droid rooted and if you have any more questions feel free to click the link in my sig, lots of help there.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. Droidee

Droidee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a Mac. Could that be why no matter how closely I follow the I structions. It never woks?

10. daggah

daggah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Get a real OS and you won't have a problem?

11. serveitup911

serveitup911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @daggah,

Well, RSD lite won't run in Linux...

12. voydas

voydas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want I could remote desktop into your PC and do it. Email me at steve @ voyda . org if you you're interested.

13. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Come on devs! Make it work on my Commodore 64!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!