The Shredder just got the Droid and has a Few Q

The Shredder

Reaction score
Allow me to introduce myself. I am The Shredder. Just got the Droid the other day and it was a huge help in chitown when I was there for work. I do have a few questions.

-Is there a way to get the screen to activate other than pushing the button on top? I have tried holding,double tapping ect.
-My firmware is 2.0.1 am I updated?
-Do I need the app killer? I see there is a running services that tells me what apps are open.
-The app "talk" seems to be always listed in my running services even though I have never launched it. Unless I using it and do not know it.
-Do apps save to the microsd?
-Is google talk a must?
-Before DLing a app is says all these warnings. I just found them alarming. Should I be?

I do feel a bit overwhelmed with so much space(3 BGs). I don't even know where to start. Thanks for the welcome and the answers.

phone

Reaction score
Allow me to introduce myself. I am The Shredder. Just got the Droid the other day and it was a huge help in chitown when I was there for work. I do have a few questions.

-Is there a way to get the screen to activate other than pushing the button on top? I have tried holding,double tapping ect.

ScreenModeWidget will do this, don't know if there are any other apps that will allow this. You can search Market for one.

-My firmware is 2.0.1 am I updated?
Yes

-Do I need the app killer? I see there is a running services that tells me what apps are open.
Some say yes, some say no. If you're worried about memory, probably not. If you're worried about battery, maybe.

-Do apps save to the microsd?
No

-Is google talk a must?
Not real clear on the question.

-Before DLing a app is says all these warnings. I just found them alarming. Should I be?
If it's from Market, no not really.

I do feel a bit overwhelmed with so much space(3 BGs). I don't even know where to start. Thanks for the welcome and the answers.
You have 16GB on the sdcard. Welcome to the forum. :)

boatman2220

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy the Droid and your stay here.
There are different opinions on Task Killers, some use one,myself I've had the need.
There is only the top button or slide the keyboard out to wake up the screen.
The apps need information to get updates, deliver messages, GPS needs to know where you are for local searches and information you may want. There's been no problems that I've heard of with any. I bet anything you've had before just did it in the background. Use the search feature on this forum and find answers to lots of questions.

OP
The Shredder

The Shredder

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. When I said 3 bgs I meant backgrounds...LOL I don't know much about widgets so I will look those up.

boatman2220

Reaction score
As far as I know the one background picture just slides over from one screen to another. Middle screen whole picture whole pictures, left screen left portion of picture. There are Home Screen replacements that give you more screens and keep the background centered.

TekHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. When I said 3 bgs I meant backgrounds...LOL I don't know much about widgets so I will look those up.

those are normally called screens or homes not BGs thats why people got a little confused

as far as 3 seeming like so much room.... just wait and maybe look down the screen shots thread 3 will do fine but 7 totally full is not hard to do either :p

OP
The Shredder

The Shredder

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Ahh "home" my bad. One quick question, why won't my phone stay off during charging? I have always shut down my phones while charging. This is my first smart phone as well.

The shredder huh? How'd you get the name lol

My mother.. :)

TekHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Ahh "home" my bad. One quick question, why won't my phone stay off during charging? I have always shut down my phones while charging. This is my first smart phone as well.

screen timeout option might be set wonky check to see how high you have it set

do you use Chomp or Handcent SMS one of those might be turning your screen back on your screen should come on when you plug the power cable in at first so if your having it pop on alot you might have a bad cable, unstable power to the cable ect ect

boatman2220

Reaction score

It's just not designed that way. When you put it into a home or car dock it wakes up partly because of magnets placed in certain places. But plugging it up wakes it up also. So no pouches with magnets.