The Secret Brew to a PERFECT Droid!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbg25, Feb 22, 2010.

1. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Updated 3.14.10

Well...here we go!

I have been running Smoked Glass 6.0 for several days and it is amazing. The installer is nearly fixed and most options now work...a few result in errors and you have to wipe/restore and reboot before you can try again. I know Adam is making a few more tweaks and additions...but when he is done this will be the most incredible ROM I have tried.

Currently I am running with the following install configuration
    stock shell and font
    250-1100 MHz
    Sholes all colors
    record at 7Mb/s
    scan WiFi every 3 min
    Copy WiFi to sys
    do not install Low Brightness
    Audio Toggle to sys
    smoked glass FULL w/ white clock and notification
    5 screen launcher
    install: nexus ring and not, shorten ring delay, NO alarm clock, NO Media Dock, NO Milestone Gallery, G1, Flac, Hexlix, NO HTC IME
    deleted: Amazon MP3, CarDock, corp calander, email, camera shutter and video recorder sound

reboot

after letting the phone load with all the new settings and once the GPS locked in...I put it back in recovery. Mounted system and sdcard

Pushed to system apps/framework:
    - Home++ v 8.0.7.15 (or v27) with smoked glass icons I add from krazykrivda
    - Custom Framwork.apk to change the icons in the notification bar and fix the notification background that is not smoked for some reason
    - Custom Live Wallpapers ( I altered the neural network background )
    - Mobile defense

Because 2.1 has a wallpaper manager...Home++ DOES NOT CRASH EVER!!!! Seriously, I have said this in the past and soon after I do something and it starts crashing. I have altered framework...hell I have even altered Home++ myself and resigned before using...and still no crashes...and this is for like 4 days now!

Here is what it looks like...

Lockscreen/Apps/Dialer
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Screen Switcher/Notification/Info
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Screen 1/2/3 (left to right)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Screens 4/5/6 (4 is my main screen...I have 7 but 7 is blank...need to keep it so Yanks logo is center)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Updated 3.12.10

Well we may finally have it!

I have been running Adamz test ROM of Smoked Glass 6 (ESE53) for nearly a day. There are some issues with the install script so if you dont know how to push and pull progrms properly without risking the space in your system you are better off waiting for the script to be fixed. But this thing is CRAZY STABLE!!!!

I have been running it with Home++ beta pulled from the Dark Rom SE update.zip that works with livewallpapers. So far so good...no force closes at all even with Home++. But every time I have said that....within a day the force closes start. So I will let you know...but I am very very encouraged!!!
    Updated 3.10.10
    I was having no force close problems at first...but the darkrom SE patch must not have been fully compatible with the ESE53 framework. As time progressed after install force closes started to occur with more and more frequency.

I am now running BBv.7 w/ adamz's smoked glass and I pushed the Home++ apk from the darkrom SE to my system and things seem fairly stable.

Cant wait for Adamz ESE53 based smoked glass.

Updated: 3.8.10:

So enough trying to build my own...I will leave that to the experts. For those that like this layout and have used this as a basis for your own set up...good news. I have found a vast improvement with a new set up.

I have been running bb v.6 (ere53 base) with chevyno1's 1000MHz Kernel since Pete put the ROM up.

WOW...between the real improvements Google and Moto and VZW made on the canceled release and Petes great build....this thing is really slick. And right now I am running at 800MHz and even after playing RoboDefense on fast-forward for 10 mins...my CPU was barely at 39C.

But here is the real kicker...You can load KrazyKrivda's DarkRom SE with no problems. While I am not a huge fan of the gold...and will be switching to platinum as soon as he makes it (fingers crossed)...but I will live with it for the hidden surprise!!!

HOME++ works with NO f/cs and best....LIVE WALLPAPERS WORK!!!!!

Thats right...I said it...Home++...NO F/Cs and LIVE WALPPAPERS.

Here is a look....
    LockScreen/Dialer
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Shade/System Info
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wallpaper Menu w Live Wallpapers/Apps drawer
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Screens 1-6
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Original post 2.20.10:

OK...so you may not agree...but IMO this is the best mix of theme, colors, speed, options, launchers etc....Most imporantly as I say in my sig...
    "Holy Crap she flies! I have no lag, no f/c and no problems! [​IMG]"

Special thanks to AdamZ and KrazyKrivda as they did all the work...all I did was stumble on the combo.

Ingredients:
    1 - Droid "rooted" with SPR and BusyBox installed
    1 - Install AdamZ's new Smoked Glass 4.5 ROM (make backup first although I had no issues)
    1 - Install KrazyKrivda's Dark ROM Patch update.zip (make sure you read his instructions carefully)
    1 - Install Set CPU and run at 1000/550Mhz (I advise setting profiles mine are Sleep - 250/250, Power < 30% - 550/250, Failsafe battery >40.5c - 550/250)

SetCPU benckmark....216 to 248 ms
    Fewer Force Closes than when I was running stock
    No lag/stutter
    Even the 2.1 Launcher worked well with no f/c's in the short time I played with it!!!
    I Prefer the BUILT IN AND SKINNED Home++ option in the dark rom patch

And here are the results....

Lock Screen/Dialer/Shade/Open Folder/Screen Switcher/Main home screen
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Screen 1: Pure Calendar Widget
    Screen 2: FeedR RSS feeds
    Screen 3: Home++ flip date and time, Weather Forecast Widget, SetCPU, Quick Profiles settings, Mini Info and Network Widgets
    Screen 4: Root Tools and Widgets (plus car locator widget)
    Screen 5: Communications and Fun stuff
    Screen 6: Work stuff and aCurrency widgets

I may never switch this ROM I am so happy. I may have to learn more advanced programing and editing of ROMs so I can keep up with the newest upgrades for ROMS without change my ROM itself....THAT is how much I love this!!!! :icon_ banana:
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Staywide8

Staywide8 New Member

Pics don't load.
  3. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

Can you paste screen shots? I like seeing other peoples layouts. Sounds like a nice setup.
  4. bL33d

bL33d New Member

ya very nice wish it had the home luncher theme of ultimate droid rom. anyway we can install that???
  5. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

Loving this combo, I've been looking at AdamZ Smoked Glass and Krazy's Theme over Bugless Beast lately... think I'm gonna do it when I get home.

Question for ya, as I'm jones'ing for that Home++ launcher theme badly!!!!! (That is the one from the Dark theme right?)

Basically all I've got to do is uninstall Home++, make sure I'm not duplicating any apps that are skinned in his theme, and then install the Update.zip?

Just making sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks in advance. :)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

i dunno how you could operate with all the clutter, there is literally stuff everywhere, i have 4 icons at the bottom of each page and a widget at the top of the 2nd 3rd and 4th pages, thats it
  7. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

@DroidxRage.....correct. Uninstall Home++, MixZing, etc....then run the update.zip.

@Newton....sorry you don't like my clutter....I posted this to show the ROM, Themes, Colors and features....not ask for a critique of my personal space.

But since you went there....what you see as clutter I see as efficient design. I use most of this stuff every day. I don't have time to dig around looking for things I use all the time. Personally...I did not get this phone to admire the backgrounds. I got it to be fast and useful....You may have time to flip through drawers and menus looking for what you need...or maybe your droid is just a trophy that you need to look nice...but that is your choice to want form over function.

Personally,trying to juggle running 2 business while starting 2 more...while keeping sane enough to come home to my wife and 11 month old early enough to have any quality time...I need to save every second I can. If "MY CLUTTER" gets me what I want and saves me 10 to 30 secs every time I use something on my desktop instead of having to click 3-7 times to get what I want...Then I guess maybe my clutter has its purpose.
  8. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

Thanks for the reply... loving the setup you've got, can't wait to get home!!!

And FWIW: Mine's almost as "cluttered", don't feel bad. Isn't that what the desktop real estate is for? To fill up with stuff? ;)
  9. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Very cool! I'm so on the edge of rooting for the CPU speed if nothing else. I'm particularly concerned about functionality as there are so many threads out there from those who root and then can't get something like wifi or navigation to function. That would bug me. I also have a handful of questions before I step off the edge. Also, if I screw up the phone I'm hosed as I can't afford to replace it.

I agree, if everything is organized to one's preference then it's quicker to get to rather than heading to the apps drawer.
  10. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

^^ Make sure you pick a good ROM is the key. Read up on all the different ones, and find what works for you.

Look at some ROM review threads for ideas, or sift through the different ROM threads for more detailed information on different versions. :)
  11. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Just put the Dark Rom Patch over Bugless Beast 1.0 with CHevy's 1.25 Ghz Overclock and this is THE setup. After jumping roms about 500 times last week I finally got things perfect.

The Home++ Launcher is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. It was the only reason I liked Home++ before I rooted and got a stock 5 screen launcher. All I'm gonna do now is install the droid font and MAYBE stay off the forums for a while to keep from being tempted to switch again.

Thanks for the Dark Rom Patch tip!
  12. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Don't think it was quite his intent to get you all fired up.. settle down a bit.
    I'm like you... I've got 5 home screens and 2,3,4,5 are used constantly. Far left (#1 screen) is just some widgets (see pics in sig). If it makes sense to you and you're happy with it, you don't have to defend yourself. Thats the beauty in Android - to each his own. There's tons of different ROM/kernel/theme combinations out there for exactly that reason. And how you layout your home screen and how I lay out mine could be completely different - but again, thats what makes Android so great. So don't stress. I think your setup is pretty sweet. As long as it makes sense to you and its functional and efficient, what else matters?
  13. CrypticDroid

CrypticDroid New Member

Easy there tiger! It was an opinion, not an insult, at least how I read his "critique"
  14. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

Nice setup. IMO, the finishing touch would be these icons.
  15. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Thanks for all the comments.

For those that have enjoyed this patch after I recommended...you are welcome. I am glad I could help someone else for once.

For those on the fence....I think it is well worth it. No B.S...the phone works WAY better now than when it was stock in every aspect.

As for my reaction to Newton...
    Maybe I took Newtons comments the wrong way...and if so...I apologize.

But I fail to see how the following comment a) has any relation to my OP b) adds anything to my discussion of what I think is a great ROM and add-ons c) is in any way positive.

In fact, reading it again it is nothing but an unsolicited criticism about how I laid out my desktop. With no redeeming value as far as this topic goes...or the intent of the post. I could understand if I asked for comments and suggestions on my screen shots. Had questions about whether all the "clutter" slowed the phone down. But no...he only posted to tell me that my phone is a mess.

Please explain how I misunderstood. What other interpretation or meaning could he have had there?
  16. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Is there a way to grab the Icons from the zip file without applying the rest of the theme?
  17. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Forums aren't a perfect world. Anytime you put something out there for other people to see, read, or comment on, you open yourself to comments that don't contribute to your original idea and in some cases, detract from them. That's just the nature of an online forum with 10's of thousands of members. I'm sure he didn't mean it to be offensive, per se, just sharing his voice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying his comment was exactly necessary, but you just have to brush that stuff off in this type of community. With Android being so open and free to customization, like my original comment earlier, that opens up limitless possibilities for user choice. What works for some doesn't work for all. Don't let it get you riled up. Just blow that stuff off. For that one "negative" comment about your layout, how many other positive comments and compliments did you get? Quite a few if I remember correctly, including my own. Keep up the good work, friend. Don't let the little stuff get under your skin. Just keep moving and do what works for you. Afterall, its YOUR phone, not his.
  18. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

Hmmm, installed the dark theme over Bugless Beast hoping for the home theme, and it was well except my power strip buttons wouldn't change when I pressed them... kinda of disappointed as I was hoping to try out that version of Home++.

And the launcher didn't have the Phone and Browser in the regular home either... where is that coming from? I would settle for that even on the plain Home

FWIW - I also did notice that once I chose Home++ as default, I couldn't switch back after. (ie: Home++ didn't appear in the apps under "manage apps", and Home Launcher (usually in Home++) was gone. So I couldn't really test if it did it on the plain Home also.

Back to no Dark theme for now... going to relax for a bit. :)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  19. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

@myz06vette - you are right! :)
  20. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I cant vouch for DroidMod or Bugless Beauty/Beast...but I think both are 2.1 based ROM right? I think this patch wont work correctly on a 2.1 ROM.

As for deselecting Home++...download Home Switcher. I think it is FREE....you can pick any home at any time. Not quite sure how to rest the default though.
Search tags for this page

perfectdroid

petez root android