The Samsung screen glass is horrible.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
So, dropped mine on a marble counter, shattered the glass. Searched the web and came up with bobknowsphones.com. They want $320 to replace the screen. searching for the part itself was almost as expensive, and would require me to install it myself. Anyone had a good repair experience? Care to share who did it and for how much?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Samsung web site. Went thru the procedure, $163 including shipping.

cyclej

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check it out!!

alboboy10

Reaction score
My phone flew yesterday from about seven feet high flat on its face. No scratch. Ultra oleophobic screen protector on.

orion2001

Reaction score
Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic

Seidio Crystal Clear

Won't affect screen sensitivity/clarity/glass feel.
Well, I've tried the Steinheil and it DOES affect the glass feel. While I agree that the better screen protectors usually have little impact on touch sensitivity, there is no question that they change the feeling of the surface. It is very difficult for some type of plastic/polymer to feel the same as naked glass.

Last edited:

scdown

Reaction score
I used an InvisibleShield, and the friction it added, relative to a bare screen, required a small amount more effort to drag the finger across the screen. That, to me, is one measure of sensitivity (of the overall system, including the screen protector). It did not affect accuracy of taps, nor the force required to establish a tap. But scrolling was less responsive to me because of the friction the screen protector added.

Steinheil's Ultra Oleophobic, on the other hand, seemed to have the same overall level of friction as the base screen, and so did not impede performance.

Just my inflation-adjusted $.02

alboboy10

Reaction score
Since I put the ultra oleophobic quality of screen is not reduced but performance has. The phone isn't as responsive because I think the screen protector is extremely thick.

Reaction score
I've read your posts somewhere about it. Didn't you take it off pretty much immediately. Didn't even cure? The grainy goes away. It does feel rubbery though

I typically don't like dry installs because I always get a speck of dust or hair under them and it drives me nuts

sent from tapatalk...the app that force closes more than any other app known to man[/QUOTE

funny. Don't think I posted about it before.

Regardless, it was on for a week. So it "cured".

What316

Reaction score
Cant we all just get along? Lol. After reading this, it's clearly a personal choice. Personally, I would not go without a protector. Scratch that, pop another on. Scratch glass, you're screwed. I dont notice any plastic feel or performance issues on the ones I've used. But some people do, so it's hard to argue, no one is right or wrong. It's just a personal preference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Oh, and I've installed 2 steinheils, with no lint trapped. Took about ten seconds. Follow the instructions, and lint is not an issue with dry installs. Peel off the tab as you're sticking it to the screen.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion on this. No right or wrong. Let's just end the contest peacefully before someone gets hurt.

lolpissingcontest.jpg

cloud12077

Reaction score
I can't believe it my nexus has a very but very small scratch on the screen.
I don't have a screen protector but I never leave it face down,I never put it in my pocket with keys...
anyways this is bs.

Do you guys know for how much samsung will replace my screen ? + Will they even look at it if it's rooted+unlocked ?

Check into Samsung Galaxy Nexus Screen Protector Samsung Galaxy Nexus Screen Protector | No Orange Peel | Hides Fingerprints | Clearest Screen Protector - $13.46 : Screen Protector | Screen Protectors | Shield | XO Skins their solution supposedly fills in scratches and the screen protector is amazing! I have had one on my phone about a week after I got the phone and you can't even tell it is there.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I like how this turned into a screen protector thread.

Wonder why OP hasn't checked in? Maybe he did send his phone in or finally switched devices cause he's had enough:D

MrKleen

Reaction score
I was talking to ledrc.
No I don't have insurance and why should a 10$ part cost 200$ to replace?

This post is as far as I got. If you don't have a screen protector and you don't have insurance why are you surprised the screen is scratched and that it's going to cost you money to fix? Insurance is a must on a $600+ phone for at least the first year. I imagine this will be an expensive lesson for you. Unless of course in the pages of threads past this one you have posted that you cheated the system and claimed a defective phone and got a refurb from Verizon.