The Samsung Fascinate will be the New Droid in this Droid Forums members Opinion

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
As The Samsung Fascinate is easy to root / Overclocked as I have done some research & other Samsung phones have been overclocked to 1.6ghz as its sister phones on other networks have a 1ghz Processor as the Samsung Fascinate so i am guessing that this one can be overclocked as high as 1.6 ghz as well this is huge beats the droid overclock by 2 folds

n0yxl

Reaction score
I am all in! This phone is great right out of the box, and has mucho potential! :)

Polymira

Reaction score
I am all in! This phone is great right out of the box, and has mucho potential! :)

Yeah ... the phone comes with bing search and no google search...

Awesome out of the box, lol =p

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

n0yxl

Reaction score

Yeah ... the phone comes with bing search and no google search...

Awesome out of the box, lol =p

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

BFD. It's a non issue for me, as well as most others. If a search widget is all you can complain about on the phone; you're being nit-picky. :blink:

tobytl

Reaction score
n0yxl said:
BFD. It's a non issue for me, as well as most others. If a search widget is all you can complain about on the phone; you're being nit-picky. :blink:

The SAMOLED is entirely oversaturated, and a bit wonky in the blue-green spectrum? Just playin, I'd never use one, but my sister is really looking forward to trading in her D2 within her 30 days for one of these bad boys. And I'm looking forward to wiping every trace of Bing from it, hopefully via a vanilla rom. (she hates touchwiz more than blur, but loves the screen... crazy...)

1.6 ghz as well this is huge beats the droid
overclock by 2 folds

My old D1 is running at 1.3Ghz... Don't know how you're defining "2 folds"...

eleazar

Reaction score
We get it, you love your Droid, it is still the bestest best phone on the market, even better than brand new phones.

You've had your fun for 10 months, now let us have some fun!

tobytl

Reaction score
LOL, not what I was saying at all. Ditched the droid for daily use long ago, currently rockin' a DX. Is that the bestest best phone? No, probably not. But it's the bestest best for me. I brought forward a real point of contention, as the search widget thing was being nit-picky. Which it is, and fixable with root. Now, does the poor color representation of the screen affect everyone? Nope, just image quality nerds like me, it's a curse and I'm still waiting for the blessing part to kick in. And pointing out the the last bit of the OP was misinformed.

As I said, I'm going to have one of these in the family soon too. And I can't wait to play with it. It's exciting to play with a new toy, and I'm sure my sister will love it. She likes the screen, just hates touchwiz. I'll introduce her to the joys of launcherpro, and it'll be good.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. The Fascinate has a phenomenal SoC in the 1 Ghz Hummingbird as well as GPU. It is easily rooted and the bootloader is not locked down. Custom kernels and ROMs will be pouring out for these soon. Unless HTC or Moto drops a bomb by years end on VZW that is just as easily manipulated as the Droid or Fascinate this phone will be a modders delight.

wtherrell

Reaction score
n0yxl said:

The SAMOLED is entirely oversaturated, and a bit wonky in the blue-green spectrum? Just playin, I'd never use one, but my sister is really looking forward to trading in her D2 within her 30 days for one of these bad boys. And I'm looking forward to wiping every trace of Bing from it, hopefully via a vanilla rom. (she hates touchwiz more than blur, but loves the screen... crazy...)

1.6 ghz as well this is huge beats the droid
overclock by 2 folds

Word is that touchwiz is easily removable without rooting. Bing will need to wait for root, but there is already a workaround to use Google by pasting a google link icon right beside the Bing one.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Can't you just hide Bing in the App drawer and down load Google Search and Navigation from the market?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It goes beyond just that from what I hear. I hear clicking address links will still be tied to the other nav app. So to navigate using Google Navigation u may have to enter the address manually. Some ppl may find that an inconvenience considering it didnt have to be like this.

As long as u can still use Google Nav it should be be ok. I never tried Bing so I cant comment on that. I dont use it on my PC. Never had a reason to.

And I see where the OP is coming from too. No locked bootloader, nice gpu.... These Samsung phones are the new Droids. The new Droids on Verizon are Motorola Milestones now.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
i tried the bing app on my droid to see if it's that horrible. It's not bad actually. Got mostly the same results as i did with google. Plus since the Fascinate is easily rootable, all the bloatware and bing stuff can be removed. Overclocking a 1ghz phone to 1.6ghz stable sounds reasonable.. I guess people are going to hate on the Fascinate because they're jealous their phones have locked bootloaders (and stuck with crappy motoblur)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol...I dont think too many are jealous of a locked bootloader. Those that are jealous they had a choice to not get the X. Those that are happy with it, The X is good enough with it being locked. Stock vs. stock, it can go toe to toe with any current phone thats out.

tobytl

Reaction score
Not to mention, the locked bootloader isn't stopping us too much. The only reason for custom kernels is to overclock (or fix glaring holes and bugs, but that can be worked around as well). Overclocking past 1Ghz is fun (and I did it too, so yea), but it's practically useless right now. 1Ghz is more than enough to smooth out the experience, and apps aren't exactly cpu intensive. The real bottlenecks are the GPU (which the galaxy s takes care of nicely), and the NAND flash that makes up the filesystem (which all manufacturers seem to be screwing up). The X has the same lag problem as the Galaxy S phones do, and the leaked 2.2 update for the X fixed it, so it's probably also going to be fixed in the official 2.2 for the GalS as well. Not to mention, there's an app/root combo for the GalS that actually fixes it better from all reports...

As to bing. It's not so much that the current state of bing is horrible in comparison to google, it's more about the future. Google has plans on updating the search widget/app, is microsoft going to implement them as well? And what about voice search/commands? Does it behave as normal? If so, then no worries.

I've used bing maps... No multitouch, and the location based searching is wonky. Searched for in-n-out, pointed me to the one across town, instead of the one down the street. The multitouch was on the todo list last I saw, so it might very well be in the version on the Fascinate.

But that's all besides the point. Like or hate bing, you should be able to replace it fairly easily with root as has been said.

For me, that actually adds to the fun factor of the device. Gives me something to tinker with. I might use BOGO and get one to just play with (my cousin's joining our familyplan, wants to keep his DInc. I'll just keep his Fascinate warm for him...).