The REAL benefits of root at this point?

poooookah78

Reaction score
So, I had the D1 and rooted it/rom'd it/flashed it/themed it over and over again. I bought the GNex on release date because I was really excited about the potential it had just like the D1 did back in the day. I tried the WUG approach and my phone was just not cooperating, can't unlock/root it. My question is this: What are the REAL, MAJOR benefits of rooting right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm SURE in the pretty near future there will be some real steps made in this endeavor, but right now, what are they?

Obviously wireless tethering and overclocking, although as far as I know, you can't really OC the GNex too much right now, heck I had the D1 up to 1.25 regularly. Theming I'm sure is something being done right now. Battery life extension tools may be something, but other than that, what's the BIG appeal right now?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root applications, undervolting, ROMs, custom kernels, custom recovery for backups. The usual. The phone runs great out of the box, but who doesn't want to make something that's great better?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Changed the auto-brightness to eliminate the grainy screen, installed a LV kernel for better battery life, flashed the latest radios for better 4G to 3G, installed a 4G toggle, controls in the notification menu and the list could go on. But I guess the most important feature is the capability to make a backup of your system.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Look through the dev, roms, kernal, theme, and this thread and I think you will find out your answer.

Besides fully customized roms with completely different UI's (not sure why you'd want that since ICS is beautiful as is. And MIUI might actually have a rom out), there is a heck of a lot to be done to the phone after root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Changed the auto-brightness to eliminate the grainy screen, installed a LV kernel for better battery life, flashed the latest radios for better 4G to 3G, installed a 4G toggle, controls in the notification menu and the list could go on. But I guess the most important feature is the capability to make a backup of your system.

How'd you get rid of the grainy screen? That would be awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using.. magic.

Reaction score
I download Bigxie's rom and find the battery life to be better and it has good mods, even though none are UI enhancements. As far as overclocking goes, you don't really need it. This rom has it included up to 1350 mhz but I'm fine at 1200.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Having a built in recovery because the phones unlocked is the biggest thing for me. If I screw something up I can just do a battery pull, hold the buttons and then select recovery mode.. fix issue an reboot.. no sweat.
WHen the bootloaded is locked, like on my Bionic, you can have a custom recovery but it cant be "hardwired" in. Its an app. So while you can boot into it and change stuff, if you hose the phone you have to get the handy old RSD out and flash an fxz. Then reactivate and download your apps. Root the phone again and then install recovery and boot into it and install the backup.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Having a built in recovery because the phones unlocked is the biggest thing for me. If I screw something up I can just do a battery pull, hold the buttons and then select recovery mode.. fix issue an reboot.. no sweat.
WHen the bootloaded is locked, like on my Bionic, you can have a custom recovery but it cant be "hardwired" in. Its an app. So while you can boot into it and change stuff, if you hose the phone you have to get the handy old RSD out and flash an fxz. Then reactivate and download your apps. Root the phone again and then install recovery and boot into it and install the backup.

Bleh, silly Moto! Dont miss that! My favorite root app is AdFree ad blocker. I forgot how much I liked the ad blocking during the short time my Nexus was not rooted!

Htown315

Reaction score
Bleh, silly Moto! Dont miss that! My favorite root app is AdFree ad blocker. I forgot how much I liked the ad blocking during the short time my Nexus was not rooted!

Ad blocker is a MUST!!! I use Rom Toolbox it has an ad blocker in its arsenal;)

captdroid

Reaction score
So, I had the D1 and rooted it/rom'd it/flashed it/themed it over and over again. I bought the GNex on release date because I was really excited about the potential it had just like the D1 did back in the day. I tried the WUG approach and my phone was just not cooperating, can't unlock/root it. My question is this: What are the REAL, MAJOR benefits of rooting right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm SURE in the pretty near future there will be some real steps made in this endeavor, but right now, what are they?

Obviously wireless tethering and overclocking, although as far as I know, you can't really OC the GNex too much right now, heck I had the D1 up to 1.25 regularly. Theming I'm sure is something being done right now. Battery life extension tools may be something, but other than that, what's the BIG appeal right now?

The 'real' benefits of rooting you really must decide for yourself. See my sig at least for apps I take advantage of root.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The benefits of rooting really haven't changed since the days of the OG Droid. Themes, overclocking, underclocking, undervolting, tethering, backups and restores, bloat removal (not a huge deal with ICS since you can disable them), ad block, early updates (new radios and 4.0.3 ROMs have been out since prior to Christmas I believe), and various other tweaks (quick toggles in the notification pulldown, reset options on power menu, speed tweaks).