The Pure vs Skinned divide

DesiDroid

Reaction score
Switched from an HTC Explorer to a Nexus 4 (quite a leap there!). Yes, optimized Android does come with some helpful widgets and functionality but the pure Nexus experience with prompt updates and the freedom to customize takes the cake.

Reaction score
I went from a Bionic to Gnex. Pure vanilla is 10000000 times better!!! Clean, simple, and as functional as anything else.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In my honest opinion Stock Android is a snore fest. It's boring and uninspired. The Nexus line-up I believe makes my point. I don't know one person who bought a Nexus handset and left it as is. No root, no ROM. Now why is that? I THINK it's because stock Android is-- well-- boring. Many of the self proclaimed enthusiast claim to hate "skins" or UI bloat on their phones, yet clamor for the latest ROM that is packed with features and dazzling UI colors. When an indie dev builds a ROM it's "pure awesomeness", but when Moto, Sammy etc do the same it's bloat. Makes no sense to me, but that's just me.

With that said, I think the manufacturers have done a tremendous job of "spicing it up" with some very useful features. I don't want to have to root, ROM and/or download a ton of apps to make my experience a better one. I think a great Mobile OS/Handset experience is one where you can turn on the smartphone and have most, if not everything, you need baked right in. Apps should complement the experience not be mandatory to give you a better experience.

I do understand that no Mobile OS is perfect and will offer everything one needs to "get things done", but the OTB experience should be a darn near complete package. These are just my opinions, but there you have it :big smile:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree on one point CK.

You can root and ROM a Nexus, but the ROMs are still AOSP (stock) Android. Its the themes in the theme chooser that change things. Sure, some ROMs have custom navigation buttons, but as a whole, its more features, not themes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In my honest opinion Stock Android is a snore fest. It's boring and uninspired. The Nexus line-up I believe makes my point. I don't know one person who bought a Nexus handset and left it as is. No root, no ROM. Now why is that? I THINK it's because stock Android is-- well-- boring. Many of the self proclaimed enthusiast claim to hate "skins" or UI bloat on their phones, yet clamor for the latest ROM that is packed with features and dazzling UI colors. When an indie dev builds a ROM it's "pure awesomeness", but when Moto, Sammy etc do the same it's bloat. Makes no sense to me, but that's just me.

With that said, I think the manufacturers have done a tremendous job of "spicing it up" with some very useful features. I don't want to have to root, ROM and/or download a ton of apps to make my experience a better one. I think a great Mobile OS/Handset experience is one where you can turn on the smartphone and have most, if not everything, you need baked right in. Apps should complement the experience not be mandatory to give you a better experience.

I do understand that no Mobile OS is perfect and will offer everything one needs to "get things done", but the OTB experience should be a darn near complete package. These are just my opinions, but there you have it :big smile:

CK you are right that many of us buy nexus devices to Rom. But that is point of a nexus device which is the ability of choice. I can choose which apps or "bloat" I want. I can choose what colors I want and features. I have the choice to be rooted for certain apps or not. That is the appeal with nexus devices vs manufacturer devices that limit that. Now I do believe that since the manufacturer put in all the leg work along with the billions in r&d that they do not owe the users anything as far as allowing access to those intellectual properties. Meaning if they want to lock the bootloader on their devices they are within their rights, especially now that the gap to make big on a smart phone has shortened. What I like are the google edition devices and I applaud the manufacturers for even going to that point.

But I also have to make note that even though I have 2 nexus devices I prefer my Note 2 more because of the otb features.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on one point CK.

You can root and ROM a Nexus, but the ROMs are still AOSP (stock) Android. Its the themes in the theme chooser that change things. Sure, some ROMs have custom navigation buttons, but as a whole, its more features, not themes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Agree, as I said above, people gravitate toward a nexus because they want to rom and root. They are not getting a nexus and like ..oh this is boring so lets root. Actually I can not make that blanket statement as some actually do buy a nexus just for that pure vanilla look and feel.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
i like pure android on phones but not for tablets. After getting a Kindle Fire i like its UI more. Even know i can load 4.2.2 i don't think i am going to.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i like pure android on phones but not for tablets. After getting a Kindle Fire i like its UI more. Even know i can load 4.2.2 i don't think i am going to.

Can you add an aftermarket keyboard on the Fire 2 without root ? I really liked everything about my Fire 1 except the keyboard sucks. It's like they took the keyboard on my Kindle Touch and put it on their tablet.
This is an example of I'd like to be able to pick and choose what I want to add/delete/ignore vs their overall user interface.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

WestOkid

Reaction score
I have to agree with CK, but a caveat. I would wager that most people prefer the UI and UX of pure Android over manufacturer Skins. However, the function and the choice is where it gets sketchy. Pure Android is boring becuase it's almost iPhonish when it comes to features. So people load ROMs to get the functionality. Manufacturers add many useful features. The problem is that they also choose to muck up the UI and UX and add bloat. None of that is necessary or beneficial to the user, the UI changes are done simply to differentiate. The bloat is about advertising revenue.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
Can you add an aftermarket keyboard on the Fire 2 without root ? I really liked everything about my Fire 1 except the keyboard sucks. It's like they took the keyboard on my Kindle Touch and put it on their tablet.
This is an example of I'd like to be able to pick and choose what I want to add/delete/ignore vs their overall user interface.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

No Bluetooth in Kindle Fire 2nd Gen. The HD has Bluetooth, but i dont know if keyboards are supported. the stock keyboard is very close to androids only with Swype built in. This maybe because Kindle fire 2 has android 4.0 underneath it all. Where as the OG kindle fire is Gingerbread. My Xoom is my powerhouse tablet to do all but something about the Kindle Fire is simple and can do what i need it to do.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

If Verizon would provide timely updates to their Galaxy Nexus then I would have no reason to root or ROM. I only use pure AOSP ROMs, not the others with the absurd amount of "features". I just want timely updates, which Verizon is obviously incapable of providing. I certainly don't think all or even most of those who prefer stock Android/Nexus devices have the ability to ROM at the top of their list. I would say the instantaneous software updates is the biggest draw for those who buy nexus devices. Just my opinion.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
There were a few features that I had on my stock bionic that I liked, but after roming there is no way I would go back; I found better replacements. I bought my Nexus for that reason. As previously mentioned yes the majority of people run roms on Nexus devices but that is the point of a Nexus device. I prefer vanilla android and ditched the factory skin on my girlfriends Kindle Fire for CM. Yes, the manufactures have some neat stuff but it is mostly gimmicky stiff that nobody uses once the "new" wears off. Look at siri.

I would also like to point out that I feel new Samsung owners, note 1 forward, have started to become cliquey like the iPhone crowd and say there phone is the best for every situation and for everyone, while down talking people who don't have an s4 or note because everything else is "old tech."

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No Bluetooth in Kindle Fire 2nd Gen. The HD has Bluetooth, but i dont know if keyboards are supported. the stock keyboard is very close to androids only with Swype built in. This maybe because Kindle fire 2 has android 4.0 underneath it all. Where as the OG kindle fire is Gingerbread. My Xoom is my powerhouse tablet to do all but something about the Kindle Fire is simple and can do what i need it to do.

I'm a slider not a typer so any tap tap keyboard gives me trouble. In all honesty the keyboard shortfall is the reason I got a Nexus7 but my Tab 10.1 is still my heavy lifter. I still use my Fire for games, videos and other things that don't need a keyboard.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

illnevertell

Reaction score
If Verizon would provide timely updates to their Galaxy Nexus then I would have no reason to root or ROM. I only use pure AOSP ROMs, not the others with the absurd amount of "features". I just want timely updates, which Verizon is obviously incapable of providing. I certainly don't think all or even most of those who prefer stock Android/Nexus devices have the ability to ROM at the top of their list. I would say the instantaneous software updates is the biggest draw for those who buy nexus devices. Just my opinion.

Is funny how the community still thinks vzw isn't capable of "timely or instant updates" without ever
knowing how that works and went it takes longer to come out.

I do agree that people carrying and using a nexus device are using it because they root or they want instant gratification on updates. Either way that's washes good for them. Remember you don't put water in a gas tank. Sometimes it's worth the wait

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Is funny how the community still thinks vzw isn't capable of "timely or instant updates" without ever
knowing how that works and went it takes longer to come out.

I do agree that people carrying and using a nexus device are using it because they root or they want instant gratification on updates. Either way that's washes good for them. Remember you don't put water in a gas tank. Sometimes it's worth the wait

Considering my post was entirely about nexus devices, I don't really understand what your point is. Nexus devices are supposed to be updated instantaneously. I don't understand the "worth the wait" ideal you bring forth because it's not like Verizon is optimizing the software that Google gives them, but rather they just take their time to release the exact same update that should have been released months prior. The software verification process at VZW blows. Your point may seem relevant to non-nexus phones, but considering I was only talking about nexus devices, I don't see the correlation. Could you also tell me what "knowing how that works and went it takes longer to come out." even means? I literally can't even comprehend the sentence.