The problem with the Droid camera is the pics are too dark (comparison pics here).

jrl9851

Reaction score
1. Image taken with a canon sd1300 p&s

img0317be.jpg

2. Image taken with the droid

20100523135522.jpg

I used to think my droid took awesome pics, but now they make me want to vomit. :icon_evil:

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I think the droid takes pretty good pictures for a phone. Cell phone cameras are rarely amazing. You certainly are not gonna get DSLR quality photos out of a cell phone. I do find that sometimes the droid's pictures are not that impressive but of course i have a point and shoot for when i want pictures to look good. And don't forget about how good that camera is at taking videos. It takes alright photos but fantastic video (which i have always found weird).

bill12690

Reaction score
yeah, i really cant complain much about the camera.. the video is a really nice thing to have, and the camera is pretty good for a camera. as always, not the best, but not bad either with good lighting.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Droid camera is the pics are too dark (comparison pics here).
Smaller sensors (like what you find in camera phones) tend to have poorer light sensitivity.

It's not just dark. The color's off as well. That is, unless your sky has a purplish tinge to it.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
Point and shoot camera takes better pictures than cell phone. More on that and your local weather at 11.

Seriously though, your mad because your phone takes worse pictures than your camera?

iPirate

Reaction score
I know the limits of my phone's camera and I am very happy with it.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have p&s that shot a picture that impressed judges in a contest against cameras costing 10x as much. But unfortunately, I can't make a phone call on it. :(

However, I don't rely on my phone to take pictures to win contests but rather take pictures of convenience. Kids birthday? DSLR. Mom's xray of broken elbow in the ER rooom? Droid. Motorcycle ride? P&S.

It's a phone.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. Image taken with a canon sd1300 p&s

img0317be.jpg

2. Image taken with the droid

20100523135522.jpg

I used to think my droid took awesome pics, but now they make me want to vomit. :icon_evil:

Really, you're comparing your 5 MP cellphone camera with a standalone 12.1 MP camera!!

Are you kidding!!

The Droid takes GREAT pics for a PHONE!

Of course the canon you used was better but despite what you think, the Droid pic looks good to me considering the Canon has over twice as many MP as the Droid.

nateccnn

Reaction score
The Droid's CPU has an ability to store 5 MP of data. That is somewhat impressive. But it is only part of the camera equation. A lense has to project the light onto a sensor to determine what data is sent (in 5 mp worth of data) to the CPU's camera circuit.

Your PS camera has a sensor that is approximately 3 times the size of the Droid's camera sensor and has a lense that is approximately 10 times the size. So all that light gathering and sensor logic is gathering more data.

The sensor communicates the info when the light hit's it's sensor by digitizing the info into RGB. red light hits the red sensor and it scores a 1. blue light hits a red sensor and it scores a 0. Each score is a pixel. All that data is used by the camera's post processor to determine if the pixel is red or not red.

The camera also has to determine the level of light that hits the sensor to give it a score for Exposure levels. This is what you probably perceive to be darker vs lighter. Exposure can give an appearance of a burn in the film if it is over exposed Which can be corrected by postprocessing). Contrast can also give the illusion of darker vs lighter. Contrast is really the difference in pixels that sit next to each other. A green sensor next to a red sensor. Something has to tell the camera where to blend the red and green (low contrast) and where to just cut it off as red on one and green on the other (high contrast).

ON a good expensive camera all that data that is initially burned onto the senor is saved in a seperate file so you can use you computer to make post processing descisions. It would be called a raw file. But on pocket sized cameras it is not stored and the camera does all the post processing. Your Canon sd1300 does a nicer job of post processing than the droid. It has a bigger peice of glass gathering light. And it has a bigger sensor (which means more pixel sensors) to transfer light to digital info. And it cost more to produce...which is why it doesn't have a phone in it and a bunch of apps and an interface to run your GUI...LOL

You want to see some comparisons between my Nikon D5000 and my Droid? My Nikon has a DX sized sensor (which is not the biggest in the industry) that would blow your socks off. But it also doesn't fit in my pocket. I use it to shoot weddings, grad ceremonies and wildlife shots. But when I go hunting I use my Droid to catch the experience cuz the Nikon is just to much weight to carry into the wilderness areas when I have to pack a tent, cooking supplies, 6 days of food and a 8 lb rifle. I also have a pocket sized P&S camera I keep in my truck for fishing shots. Nice to have a middle of the road option just in case I catch a bucket mouth.

Everything is relative. Learn to enjoy what you have. Or stimulate the economy and get a real camera. I would suggest a Canon Rebel series or a Nikon D90 or D30. All available at Costco. LOL

Nate

Last edited: