The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Are Now Official!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
No wireless charging, no sd card, no headphone jack, just about a $$$$, and still not water protected... ;-/

Yea, it's time to let Samsung build the hardware!!
I don't get it, the g6 and the v30 has all of that, in willing to bet its Google.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't get it, the g6 and the v30 has all of that, in willing to bet its Google.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Google hasn't supported a built in SD card in their phones in a few years. They don't seem to like SD cards. The two years they owned Moto...no SD cards, after those years we have SD cards again. So definitely a Google decision. Even if Samsung built the next Pixel, Google wouldn't let them include SD card slots. Not sure why they don't include wireless charging, or what their issue with that might be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Both phones are very nice, considering they're vanilla Android and give you fine build-quality and photo-taking capabilities. I'll wait until next year to see what type of Pixel XL vs Moto Z comes about for the 2018 lineup.

Must have for next year:
3,500 - 4K mAH sized battery
Dual rear camera with 16-21 MP OIS f/1.7 or better
Shatterproof and scratch proof display without needing a screen protector
SD card slot
IP68 rating
6GB+ DDR4 RAM
128GB internal storage
QC SD835 or better
Headphone jack and USB-C
5.5"-6" 1440p-4K OLED display
Make all of that happen and you got a winner.

Stylus...eh gimmicky, can't really see a need for it unless it's a work phone for worksheet and notepad usage.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Both phones are very nice, considering they're vanilla Android and give you fine build-quality and photo-taking capabilities. I'll wait until next year to see what type of Pixel XL vs Moto Z comes about for the 2018 lineup.

Must have for next year:
3,500 - 4K mAH sized battery
Dual rear camera with 16-21 MP OIS f/1.7 or better
Shatterproof and scratch proof display without needing a screen protector
SD card slot
IP68 rating
6GB+ DDR4 RAM
128GB internal storage
QC SD835 or better
Headphone jack and USB-C
5.5"-6" 1440p-4K OLED display
Make all of that happen and you got a winner.

Stylus...eh gimmicky, can't really see a need for it unless it's a work phone for worksheet and notepad usage.

Did you just name the Note 9 with vanilla android start from Google. Omg, death to the competition...!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, because instead of Bootloops you get burning batteries?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull

If it's removable with a screw in backside that has a gasket and copper pipe heatsink, then I'd say that's a decent start.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Did you just name the Note 9 with vanilla android start from Google. Omg, death to the competition...!
As much as you may think, I'd rather that device be the next Moto Z or Pixel. Samsungs, while nice and all can be a little less than what they're marketed as. Never was a fan of the note to begin with.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I agree it is a nice replacement for the Nexus 6. Just missing Wireless charging and headphone jack.

I wish it had more memory, at least 6 gigs.

Never had wireless charging so, I won't miss that. However, I do enjoy plugging in my headphones, and not worrying about also keeping them charged. There will be a dongle offered to plug in to, so I'll go that way. Great thing is, being old school, I have a 160gb iPod that handles my music. ;)

kinfolk248

Reaction score

Name 1 man-made product that hasn't broken... You can't because anything man-made WILL break at some point or another. That said, some are just 'better' than others. Watch someone argue the definition of better lol.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
As much as you may think, I'd rather that device be the next Moto Z or Pixel. Samsungs, while nice and all can be a little less than what they're marketed as. Never was a fan of the note to begin with.

I'm talking strictly on the hardware aspect. I'm not a huge Samsung fan by any means but on the hardware wise it's hard to slight Sammy.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I'm talking strictly on the hardware aspect. I'm not a huge Samsung fan by any means but on the hardware wise it's hard to slight Sammy.
I hear you. Samsung has stepped their game up last few years specs wise and build quality. The one thing I can't argue against Motorola are the radios they use in their devices. Cellular signal and WiFi is strong as can be and never had issues with call quality or download speed.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Name 1 man-made product that hasn't broken... You can't because anything man-made WILL break at some point or another. That said, some are just 'better' than others. Watch someone argue the definition of better lol.
My 50 year old cast iron skillet?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Interesting

"Google’s Mario Queiroz said that Google wants to make all-screen phones. And having a 3.5mm headphone jack inside the phone doesn’t fit with that design strategy.

“The primary reason [for dropping the jack] is establishing a mechanical design path for the future,” Queiroz said. “We want the display to go closer and closer to the edge. Our team said, ‘if we’re going to make the shift, let’s make it sooner, rather than later.’ Last year may have been too early. Now there are more phones on the market.”

That’s also why Google launched the Pixel Buds, a direct AirPods rival, but also a product that’s meant to “solve” the problem it created by removing the aging audio port.

Sent using Tapatalk