The only design flaw on this phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wil318466

Reaction score
Too much whining

Yeah the battery life isn't as good as a blackberry but I have yet to drain the battery completely in a normal workday

It would require long navigation without a car charger or virtually constant web surfing all day long

Just way too much whining: dislike the phone that much? Allow me to introduce you do a blackberry storm

That is an invalid argument. You can't justify a bad point of one product by pointing out a worse product.

That's like someone complaining about the braking system of a Nissan Maxima and then someone else saying "well, the Maxima is much better than the Ford Taurus, so stop *****ing".

-Wil

Reaction score
I guarantee everyone whining about battery life has limited knowledge of technology. As mentioned previously, this phone does 1000x more than any other phone you've had and with a bigger screen. It isn't supposed to last you 2-3 days on a single charge like a crapberry or any other "smartphone".

It isn't so much fanboyism and not willing to critique the droid, it's the simple fact that the ones complaining just don't have the right knowledge. You talk about things you don't understand, or just say inane things. It would be like saying "I hate my manual car, why can't it shift it's own gears?" If you don't understand the technology or don't like it, don't use it. You are the ones who eat up customer service dollars anyway, might save the rest of us money if you just stop.. /rant

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the USB port. I hate how it sticks out and its like exactly where my fingers should be when texting in portrait view. Does it bug anyone else?
Not here. Never even noticed it really (regardless of orientation or the hand I use to hold it).

That is an invalid argument. You can't justify a bad point of one product by pointing out a worse product.
I wouldn't say it justifies it but it does point out that there aren't any better current alternatives. The problem is that "bad" can be a very subjective matter -- as the OP and this thread have demonstrated with the "USB design flaw".

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guarantee everyone whining about battery life has limited knowledge of technology. As mentioned previously, this phone does 1000x more than any other phone you've had and with a bigger screen. It isn't supposed to last you 2-3 days on a single charge like a crapberry or any other "smartphone".

It isn't so much fanboyism and not willing to critique the droid, it's the simple fact that the ones complaining just don't have the right knowledge. You talk about things you don't understand, or just say inane things. It would be like saying "I hate my manual car, why can't it shift it's own gears?" If you don't understand the technology or don't like it, don't use it. You are the ones who eat up customer service dollars anyway, might save the rest of us money if you just stop.. /rant

I'll let you rant for me. It was an excellent one. I'd only add that I have a number of complaints about the Droid, almost all of them related one way or another to the fact that the phone is simply not competitive in terms of a number of applications needed for business. Both BlackBerry and Windows Mobile are better positioned at the moment to appeal to that market.

But those complaints can be remedied relatively easily. And the Droid provides both a hardware and software foundation that makes that possible. It's not "fanboy-ism" to realize that every design incorporates real world compromises.

M

Matth3w

Where else would you put it? I didn't see you answer that question, unless I missed it.

- If you put it on the bottom, when you go somewhere in a car or something, you can't set it down in a cup holder or similar object while plugged in unless you put it upside down.

- If you put it on the top, when you hold it in landscape mode, it will DEFINITELY be in the way.

- If you put it on the right side, it's not much different than on the left, EXCEPT depending how you hold it and where the charger is located opening the keyboard could interfere with the cable, etc.

If you hate all these things about the phone, why not just take it back? Why force yourself to use a phone you don't like?

Yes, the battery life on this phone is somewhat undesirable. HOWEVER...this phone does like a million different things, all at once. That takes battery resources. I'm not sure what you would expect a phone with these capabilities to do...I had an LG enV3 that would last 4-5 days on a single charge. However, it was no where near this phone.

Think of this...laptops do the same basic things as this phone. How long does a good quality laptop last on that HUGE battery? 2 hours at the most? Most laptops you might not even be able to watch a full movie on one battery charge. The phone is the same on a smaller scale. You say you shouldn't have to turn functions off to use the phone, but would you turn your laptop on and then just leave it on in your carrying case while not using it? No, you turn it back on and re-enable the functions.

You have to decide what you want - a fancy phone or one that can last on a charge forever? You talk about your girlfriend's Curve. I had the Curve. Compared to this phone, it sucks. Practically no apps, the screen is tiny, web page surfing is disgusting, reading emails is doable but no where near the functionality of this phone.

Common sense dictates that something with a tiny, much lower quality screen is going to last longer battery wise. Look at phone usage...almost all the time, unless you play games excessively, the number one usage of the battery life will be the display.

wil318466

Reaction score

Your answer is just plain stupid. You make a blanket statement to a complaint that is completely justified, backed up by facts. Let me rip apart your reply.

1) How can you guarantee that everyone whining abotu battery life has limited knowledge of technology? Let me let you in a few facts. I've been playing wtih tech stuff since I was 11. I'm 34 now. I was a comp sci major. I'm the goto tech guy for everyone I know.

2) It does not do 1000x more than any other phone I've had. How do you know what phones I've had? If I had an iPhone, would you say the same? No. They are, at worst, comparable. No one claimed the Droid needs to last 2-3 days on a single charge, but peopel complaining about it dieing within 10 hours of a full 100% charge are justified. I had my phone go from 60% to needing a charge within 2 hours of heavy use. Is that enough of a reason to have some concern, or am I just "whining"?

3) Its a simple fact that the ones complaining just don't have the right knowledge. Obviously, you don't either.

4) "I hate my manual car, why can't it shift it's own gears"? Make a valid anology. This one doesn't make sense. If you bought very high end laptop, and the battery lasted 1/2 or 1/3 of the time that your old laptop did, would you have a right to complain, or would you not?

5) You are the ones who eat up customer service dollars anyway, might save the rest of us money if you just stop..

Do me a favor? Do a thread search with my name in it, and see how many answer's I've given out to people who've had questions. Also, look at the # of posts I have. True, most of that is pure boredome while working, but a lot of that is just being helpful.

I've never called Verizon customer service for tech help. Not once. Maybe you would know something about it? When I have a question, I look it up, or I goto places like this to find answers. Like I said, if its anyone who knows about calling customer service, maybe its you?

Or am I making assumptions and blanket statements?

-Wil

M

Matth3w

4) "I hate my manual car, why can't it shift it's own gears"? Make a valid anology. This one doesn't make sense. If you bought very high end laptop, and the battery lasted 1/2 or 1/3 of the time that your old laptop did, would you have a right to complain, or would you not?
No not really. If your old laptop was running some ****ty onboard GPU and your new one had a 512MB video, and your old one had a 14" screen and your new one had a 17", you would have ZERO reason to complain.

wil318466

Reaction score
No not really. If your old laptop was running some ****ty onboard GPU and your new one had a 512MB video, and your old one had a 14" screen and your new one had a 17", you would have ZERO reason to complain.

So, by that rationale, if you built a laptop which was incrementally more powerful as time goes on, and it lasted 1 minute on a full charge, but it was much more powerful as previous versions, you wouldn't have a right to complain?

Something seems a bit wrong in this example, no?

It is incorrect to begrudge someone to complain about them owning a device which doesn't last a full day with normal usage, which has happened over and over again, as we can see by people complaining about it.

Sugar coating the response by saying "you need to run a task killer" or "you need to turn off this, this, and this" is not a real answer, it is a work-around. Sometimes people just aren't happy with work-arounds, and I happen to agree.

-Wil

M

Matth3w

Then return the phone if you hate it so bad. Seriously. I ask you to go find a phone that does what the Droid does, with the same screen and features, and see if you get different results.

I've had the iPhone, G1, Curve, enV3, and the Droid just in the last two years.

wil318466

Reaction score
Then return the phone if you hate it so bad. Seriously. I ask you to go find a phone that does what the Droid does, with the same screen and features, and see if you get different results.

Why would I return the phone? I'm one of the biggest advocates you'll ever see about this phone.

I just don't agree with people's responses when someone has a VALID point. They want to ignore or justify the debatable shortcomings of the Droid, and that, in itself, is not helpful.. which is the point of us having a FORUM for DISCUSSION.

-Wil

M

Matth3w

The point is, the phone is what is. The claim that the battery life is horrible is not correct. The battery life is on par with the technology of today and the capabilities of the phone.

mattygabe

Reaction score

Why would I return the phone? I'm one of the biggest advocates you'll ever see about this phone.

I just don't agree with people's responses when someone has a VALID point. They want to ignore or justify the debatable shortcomings of the Droid, and that, in itself, is not helpful.. which is the point of us having a FORUM for DISCUSSION.

-Wil
Yeah, when I read the "why dont you just return it" I was pretty boggled. Wil, at least in this thread (I'm new to the forums so this is the little I've read of his posts) is simply stating that the Droid isn't perfect, and the battery performance on this phone is not good. Let's face it folks, there is no thing as a perfect phone, never will be. If the battery life DOESN'T bother you, or you don't notice it, then that is PERFECT, but there have been several people that have noticed it. While they may complain about it, or like Wil did, simply mention it, that does not mean they want to just "get rid of the phone". That's what we call "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

I'm new to the boards, and even newer to the whole Droid scene (and I'm pretty excited about the whole matter), but I even realize that the phone will have its drawbacks as well as its positives. Right now, I'm wondering how I'll adjust to going from a KRZR to the Droid - just the form factor alone I might think I shoved a brick into my pocket from time to time!

Let's try to return things to a civil matter, not taking shots at one another, and making discussion and not flamewars or arguments. After all, these are all Droid users/fans, why would you be arguing? If this was a iPhone/Droid joined forum, then I could understand the fighting:)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just because I keep getting e-mail notifications on this thread...

Nermind...Bananas!
:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.