The only design flaw on this phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
Is the USB port. I hate how it sticks out and its like exactly where my fingers should be when texting in portrait view. Does it bug anyone else?

Reaction score
I think it is a smart placement. It doesn't get in the way for me. Let me ask, if you designed the phone, where would you have put the port?

cuskit

Reaction score
Is the USB port. I hate how it sticks out and its like exactly where my fingers should be when texting in portrait view. Does it bug anyone else?
I'm struggling to comprehend the problem. The port is on the edge. How does this interfere with your fingers? What am I missing? How about a quick uTube video of you texting to demonstrate how this is a flaw. Hmmm, Do you mean with the usb cord plugged in? mike

OP
G

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
I'm struggling to comprehend the problem. The port is on the edge. How does this interfere with your fingers? What am I missing? How about a quick uTube video of you texting to demonstrate how this is a flaw. Hmmm, Do you mean with the usb cord plugged in? mike

I rest my index finger up there and its weird to set it on the protruding USB port.

cuskit

Reaction score
Hmm. Perhaps soon you'll come to appreciate it as a "locater"! Kind of like the little dimple on the "5" key on a numerical keypad, or the "f" and "j" keys of a normal keyboard! Seeing as you can't get rid of it, might as well embrace it! ;) mike

zero7404

Reaction score

i put a seidio innocase on my phone, so the usb port location doesn't bother me.
then again, that isn't a flaw compared to the phone's major hickup: the physical keyboard itself, which is a pretty bad design. the n900 has a better keyboard than the droid.

motorola fails all the time because they strive to make things as slim as possible, and the shortcomings are that they don't seem to mind ditching functional concepts that users would find worthwhile in order to attain this slim factor.

-better keyboard would be nice. a flat keyboard with crammed keys requires a 5 yr old's fingers to use properly.
-lack of physical buttons for core functions like call/end. why do i have to look at the screen to redial when i'm driving or doing something else that requires the use of my eyes ?
-must remove battery to access sd card.....not really a big deal
-uses gorilla glass just to reduce the screen thickness, instead of maintain a good glass thickness to provide added protection. glass can still crack as easy as it does on the razr

etc....

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So...I'm reading this in portrait just now, and I actually had to look my phone over to remember exactly where the USB port is. And I've got big hands/long fingers. 6'2".

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The "only design flaw?" In the past couple of days you've complained about the fact that the Droid battery won't support your 15,000 (!) text messages a month. You've complained about the sliding keyboard. You've complained about the pause between sliding the keyboard and the appearance of the lock screen. And now you're complaining about the placement of the usb port.

Not to mention complaining about the speed of the browser for this site.

And frankly, those are only the complaints I happened to notice.

Are you really sure this is the phone for you? Just asking.

Reaction score
I dont find it to be a flaw at all.. when charging the usb cord dosent really get in the way, andThe keyboard needed to be broken in.. and it sure is now. My fingers are Ginormaous but i text quick as hell on both virtual and qwery keyboard. Man, i dont know about you guys but im quite gratefull for a phone like this. im not gonna moan and b*tch about every little thing..

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I dont find it to be a flaw at all.. when charging the usb cord dosent really get in the way, andThe keyboard needed to be broken in.. and it sure is now. My fingers are Ginormaous but i text quick as hell on both virtual and qwery keyboard. Man, i dont know about you guys but im quite gratefull for a phone like this. im not gonna moan and b*tch about every little thing..

I agree with you 100%. Everybody's not going to like something. Deal with it. This is a great piece of technology. Just enjoy it and don't obsess about the small stuff.

OyVOid

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with where it is. Wherever it may be placed someone else might find it awkward. When I am texting my index fingers are my anchors on the top corners so that I use my two thumbs do the typing. Whatever gets the job done the quickest, I suppose. All in all, it's a pretty good design. I am sure they did a lot of focus group research before they placed it in the market for public consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.