The OnePlus 5 Caught Cheating On Benchmarks

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
benchmarkcheating-1024x674-png.77597

All those benchmarks that we saw of the OnePlus 5 prior to the release of the phone may now be void. The early benchmarks show the phone outperforming devices like the Samsung Galaxy S8. On paper the phone should be able to do just that. It has the same Snapdragon 835 processor, more RAM, and a newer version of Android Nougat. It should not need the extra help to outperform other phones in benchmarking, but apparently it does.

According to an XDA report the OP5 activates a performance mode when it detects benchmarking apps have been opened. The cheat turns everything to maximum any time the phone is running a benchmark. These settings wouldn't be stable and you wouldn't actually use your phone this way in day to day use.

The performance mode is locked in which may cause overheating and ultimately damage the phone. Carl Pei states that this is the same mode used when the phone is gaming which is a bit alarming.

We have made it so that when running benchmark apps, the phone performs the same as when running resource intensive apps such as 3D games. We also fully activate our chipset in other parts of OxygenOS, for instance when launching apps to make the launch experience faster and smoother.

We are not making it easier for the chipset to perform, for instance by changing to a lower resolution when detecting a benchmark app. We are not changing the performance of our chipset, for instance by overclocking it.

When users run benchmark apps, which I agree aren’t a useful proxy for real life performance, we believe that they want to see the full potential of their device without interference from tampering. That’s what we’ve unlocked.

Every OEM has proprietary performance profiles for their devices, I appreciate that we have a tech enthusiastic following, but feel free to have a look around. :)

The phone apparently has a killswitch that will shut off the phone if it gets to hot while playing games and doing other graphic intensive tasks. Google has said in the past that OEMs should not use these methods. This will definitely help with the performance of the phone, but is the risk worth it in your opinion?

via 9to5Google

Attachments

• benchmarkcheating-1024x674.png
    benchmarkcheating-1024x674.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 3,943

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
This phone doesn't need to cheat...it's fast and capable ..can hang with any phones out now ...

Sent using Tapatalk

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It's probably not turned on specifically for benchmarking. Rather, it detects any sort of rendering application and changes profiles. And since benchmarking tools often stress test the GPU as well, the phone kicks that on automatically.

I don't think I'd consider this cheating. In the world of gaming computers and benchmarking, speed is everything. So long as you can keep it stable for the benchmark, it counts as a record...even if you know after a short while it wouldn't be practical for gaming purposes.

As far as Google saying they shouldn't do things like this...Google's never really been in the hardware market themselves so I don't think that should be something they start talking about. The only real concern here, is if it's not within safety parameters, what the warranty on the device is like and if they'll be willing to fix any damages that may come from this performance profile.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Volkswagen OnePlus 5?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk