The OG Moto X Lollipop Soak Test Rolling Out Now!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The original Moto X received updates very quickly early on as Motorola made a commitment to keep their newer devices fully updated with all the latest builds of Android. As newer Moto devices began to come out those devices continued to receive timely updates while the OG Moto X kind of fell by the wayside. The Moto X has now gone 5 months without the latest update. The Lollipop update is nearly ready for the device. The soak test began today. This will be a final test before Motorola releases the update to the masses. Soak tests serve as a way to be sure to avoid the fiasco that could be releasing an update which ruins the user experience for all which actually happened with the Iphone in the past. If the few soak tester report trouble it gives Motorola a chance to fix those problems before the final update. The normal time frame for the official update after the soak test is about 1-6 weeks.

via AndroidPolice

creaky

Reaction score
Potentially good news. I hope my wife's at&t version gets it before long.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm concerned if the update will kill the hotspot entitlement hack.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't use it, but I have tested it. The Moto X is compatible with the latest (read, last) version of the WiFi tethering app on Google code, however. And with the unlocked bootloader, the xposed team should be able to get their modified framework working.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
That's great news. I was wondering what the hold up was. Yes I'm impatient. According to the story it's version 5.0.2.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Turbo won't be far behind.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
About today s Moto X news frenzy - I will try to address the hundreds of

Yes, 5.0.2 and it looks like that will be it. 5.1 is a pipe dream according to the developers.
Yep and I am not real thrilled about that. My wife has a Moto X and she loves it the way it is right now, says its the best phone ever. People screaming on the Moto forum for "I want it now!!!" And now we will more than likely be stuck with 5.0.2. I think I read that there were over 880 changes by Google from 5.0.2 to 5.1. So now I wonder if we end up with a buggy 5.0.2 Moto X, which will more than likely never be upgraded again, just to satisfy the "gotta have it now crowd"?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Squeaky wheels gets noticed first. They wanted Lollipop, they got it even though it's not the polished version unfortunately.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I thought 5.0 and 5.0.1 had all the bugs. 5.0.2 was suppose to correct them. 5.1 has more improvements and security updates than bug fixes. Maybe I'm wrong but that is my understanding.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure what all the fixes were, and many were probably very minor. But still, if Google deemed it necessary to fix 880 issues with 5.0.2, they must have been serious enough. Personally, I would rather wait a few more weeks or even months and get the most polished version.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My unlocked bootloader says I'll have 5.1 even if I have to learn to compile cyanogenmod or whoever else is making a lollipop ROM for the X. Go developer edition!