THE OFFICIAL will / won't leaked ICS 'kick you off the upgrade path' THREAD!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I really don't think it will prompt you to upgrade, because if it did then there would be an upgrade package available for you... That's the whole point of this thread. None of us think there will be an official upgrade path from ICS leaks to ICS full. I am hoping we can leverage safestrap and re-flash /system with an old GB leak and have it patch though, but I'm not sure...

safestrap will never come in to play in getting the official update, nor will bootstrap as they don't touch some areas that the OTA update touch. Safestrap itself doesn't even allow installing .zips on the stock "unsafe" system.

You will have to hope leveraging some form of flashing a partial "current" GB version and then the OTA update taking it from there.

If the .200 to .206 techniques carries over allowing the .206 to .208 update....then it will be very likely that any official update will be achievable this way as well.

Or....Motorola/Verizon could be really nice and release fastboot files for the official version allowing all to fastboot to stock official ICS.

Wilhelzing317

Reaction score
What makes the official better than the leaks we have now? Of course we will keep flashing new updates untill the official OTA comes out. But then why wouldn't we be able to flash that too once we had the files?

Dave Lister

Reaction score
orangechoochoo said:
Because we have to be coming from GB 219 to get the ICS OTA.

However, it's likely (but not 100% sure) we will be able to install the official ICS update using a similar method to the way we can go from .200 to. 206 now.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
You're right, we would just have to wait for the Unstick method to be modified for the OTA.

And I didnt answer your question. The leaks may not be better than the official because the leaks are used for development/testing purposes so Moto can find bugs before the official OTA is released. So at best it can be equal to the OTA if the leak has all the bugs worked out.

The reason people are flashing the leak now is because it's a fully functional ICS with hardly any bugs.