****THE OFFICIAL WHO IS RUNNING WINDOWS 8 Thread ****

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
****THE OFFICIAL WHO IS RUNNING WINDOWS 8 Thread ****

This thread will be Updated as needed with Windows 8 Updates .....& release dates .....Also I will be posting Videos Of me testing the OS

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
How to Dual and Triple Boot Windows 7, Apple Mac OS X and Ubuntu 9.10 on a Laptop/Computer This also can be done with windows 8 as well

How to Dual and Triple Boot Windows 7, Apple Mac OS X and Ubuntu 9.10 on a Laptop/Computer

Screenshots of OS's on my Triple Boot Machine.

2062399_50.jpg
2062400_50.jpg
2062401_50.jpg

Mac OSX installed on my Dell Inspiron 1520.

Youtube Video

[video=youtube;X55RA3ad5-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X55RA3ad5-E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Introduction

This tutorial is intended for people who have some to a lot of knowledge of computers, partitions and OS's. If you plan on formating your computer you might consider my other hub:
The total time to do this all in 1 go should be around 3+/- hours. I wont post links on where to get the DVD's. (Google).
//Ay Guys I just installed the latest Ubuntu 10.04 and it works great with dualboot for those wanting to experiement or a too nervous of going the whole way..yum :)

What You Will Need.......To Get Started

Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.

• A copy of iATKOS, iPC, Kalyway DVD (Snow Leopard not supported yet)
  • Windows 7 RTM DVD
  • Ubuntu 9.10 (latest) DVD
  • A decent working computer/laptop
  • A second internet source (incase anything goes wrong)
  • Printed version of this guide (unless viewing off another machine)
Suggested Laptops are Dell Inspirons, Acer and HP.

.::Disclaimer::.

Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.
I do not take any responsibility for any problems you recieve from following this tutorial. By following the tutorial you are agreeing to enhance your laptop/computer machine under your own responsibility and desire.
Lets Begin :^)

Step1: Install Windows 7

Installing Windows 7 is easy and should take between 15mins - 40mins (machine dependent).
First you'll need to boot up with a Windows 7 DVD you presumably have burned already. I Prefer erasing a hard drive and "clean installing" Windows on there. Upgrade if you want doesn't matter. Once installation is complete, reboot and your machine should go straight into Windows. Set up Windows to your likings and install drivers if needed.

• If you want Windows 7, Ubuntu and Mac OSX (Triple Boot) go to step 2.
  • If you want Windows 7 and Mac OSX (Dual Boot) go to step 3.

Step 2: Install Ubuntu (not necessary)

There are 2 main ways to install Ubuntu. I'll be doing the way I find easiest and user friendly.
Log into your Windows and insert the Ubuntu Disk. If the installer opens automatically great. If not browse the disk and look for Wubi. Run Wubi and the installer should appear. As a installation option select "Install inside of Windows". This is the easiest way to install Ubuntu for even the most novice of computer user. Select a drive (Use the same as Windows), select a minimum of 7 gigs of space for Ubuntu. Enter your username and password for your new account. Installation should take around 30 minutes or less.
Reboot your machine and Ubuntu should appear under Windows 7 highlight it with the arrow keys and press Enter button. Ubuntu will start up now. Install any nessesary programs, drivers and explore your new Ubuntu :^) . Shutdown you machine.
Congratulations thus far you should have Windows 7 and Ubuntu Successfully installed and working. Grad a drink and food now.

• Proceed to step 3 to install Mac OSX

Step 3: Install Mac OSX

Boot up into Windows 7. In the start menu search "computer management" (Here is were we partition a drive for Mac). In the left panel select Disk Management and partition 15GB or more for Mac OSX. The Partition should be formated as Fat32. Insert the Mac OSX disk and reboot.
Boot into the Mac OSX disk. When prompted to install in 'x' seconds type "-v" without quotation marks. A bunch of writing should appear and stay on the screen for a about 5 mins or less.
When prompted go to Disk Utility at the top panel and select to erase the partition you plan on installing Mac OSX on. Format the partition as Mac OS Journal. Close the window and select install. Let it install, this should take around 20 minutes. Afterwards Mac OSX with boot up, you may notice you don't have sound yet and your resolution is the greatest.

Step 3: Install Mac OSX - - continied - -

Now its up to you to install the drivers your new Hackintosh machine will require. For Dell Inspiron Users I'll be putting together a package for you to download to get the drivers. But till then do a little googling.
Almost done, we're heading to the final steps. When you reboot and select Windows you'll notice that your unable to. Reboot your computer but insert the Windows 7 (or even Vista) and select "repair" when its done loading. Select "Startup repair", this should take about a minute or so. Reboot and you'll notice Mac OSX is missing. Boot into Windows 7 and download a program called "EasyBCD". Open the program and select to add entry (We're going to add the Mac OSX entry. From the drop down box select Mac. Under Drive select "boot". Now reboot and there you go.

FINISH

Last thing you need to do is update your programs and software on your OS's. You've officially completed the Tutorial.
Don't be shy to check out my other pages and comment and take a short look at the poll below, thanx..... don't forget to comment if it works well.

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Reserved ..........................

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Reserved.......................................................................................

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I run it about 50% of the time, dual booting with 7 on my laptop. Really nice so far imho.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How is it? I'm debating running it on my netbook, since I don't use that for anything important anymore and it runs windows 7 smoothly.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely different, but runs well and kinda sleek... I haven't done any major tasks on it, just tinker around with it. But so far, most of my stuff is working fine on it. The skydrive integration is pretty neat - it's a very cloud-based design, integrated together quite well.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to download the .iso when I get home and put it on a different partition. I'm excited to try this out.

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
How is it? I'm debating running it on my netbook, since I don't use that for anything important anymore and it runs windows 7 smoothly.

IT uses 1/2 the ram windows 7 does bc microsoft is using this as a universal OS for there phones/tablets/Desktops.....I am loving Windows 8 I have been testing for about 2 months now ......I have found most major softwares have already Updated There programs to run windows 8 ...I have flash player 11....I have firefox & also my Nero 11 Working like a champ ......The windows 8 OS is running like a champion as of now

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm may look into it if I have time. It's still up on the Microsoft website right? Maybe with windows 8 I may use my netbook more.

Insidious

Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide whether or not to dual boot this, Ubuntu, or snow leopard alongside windows 7. Can someone with experience tell me which one they like the best? I personally dig Ubuntu or win 8 but I have the snow leopard CD handy.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide whether or not to dual boot this, Ubuntu, or snow leopard alongside windows 7. Can someone with experience tell me which one they like the best? I personally dig Ubuntu or win 8 but I have the snow leopard CD handy.

I am no tech guru but can't you create partitions on a laptop to have more than just two systems? Is there such a thing as "tri-boot"?

Anyway, I have no experience with ubuntu or snow leopard but I do have Windows 8 and really like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
I am no tech guru but can't you create partitions on a laptop to have more than just two systems? Is there such a thing as "tri-boot"?

Anyway, I have no experience with ubuntu or snow leopard but I do have Windows 8 and really like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

You can, but they're a pain in the butt.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^Actually, partitions aren't that bad. I created partitions from a dynamic disk without deleting anything. It took me maybe 5-10 minutes. I was getting an installation error until I turned my volume into a new partition. Found a tutorial that worked absolutely perfectly.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
meh...my phone has more horsepower than my current laptop. So I'll keep my Win2k on it and read about 8 here :)

Edit: tri-booting isn't that bad. Just be careful that you set up each partition correctly. I'm not too sure about Win and 8, but 2k and xp are picky sometimes about which os should go where.