The Official Thread for No Sound after HeadPhone Use

mntbikejack

Reaction score
I have this problem also. I use my AUX input in the car to stream Slacker and I can never hear anyone on a call through the headset until after I reboot the phone.

This is ridiculous.

darreno1

Reaction score
I started having this problem two weeks ago every once in awhile.

Last week it was happening more often so I took it to a corporate Verizon store with a tech and was told that they had never heard of the problem ...WHAT...They told me to just wait until the next update and that it would probably be fixed.

Prior to yesterday if I put the caller on speaker phone or rebooted the phone then it would go back to "normal". But alas, yesterday was the worst...I can no longer hear ANYONE who calls me....nothing I do will make the phone work any longer.

I have literally tried everything...(plug, unplug), (ctrl, alt, delete), (pressing power button & menu), (multiple reboots),(multiple battery removals), (removal of audio apps), (sound quality tweak), etc., etc., etc.

I have spent hours and hours searching & reading every available forum, website, etc. searching for possible fixes to no avail. I cannot speak to everyone who calls on speakerphone...not at all practical.

I am totally in love with my droid with this HUGE exception...I had hoped it would be till death do we part...but yesterday I was close to killing my phone...lol

Help!!!!!

When you plug and unplug did you have a player running? Just plugging and unplugging with nothing running will not do the trick. You have to have a music app running like the stock music player for example: Play an mp3 with the headphones or aux line plugged in, then unplug them while the music is playing. You can also hit pause then unplug. Everything should then work just fine again.

Big0013

Reaction score
I can tell you guys its the new wifi kernel that is causing the left side to crackle at full volume. Replace kernel to stock and problem will be gone. I've tried three droids all with same result. Someone needs to find the flaw in the kernel and get a new release out.

beefydoc

Reaction score
With all due respect to Darreno1, the problem ebay2tr is having cannot be solved by plugging and unplugging with an app playing. This is something much more difficult to fix. I know because I had this same issue on 2 Droids. No combination of plugging, unplugging, with and without apps playing or killing tasks would allow me to hear a phone conversation on any setting except on speakerphone. Unless I rebooted and then the phone was fine untill the next time. If I was playing anything through the headphone jack (music player, videos, podcasts, Pandora, etc), once I unplugged I could no longer hear through the telephone speaker. I had to go to speakerphone or use the Aux jack to make or receive a call. Eventually it got to the point where the speaker phone would not work either and I had to reboot or receive the call through the Aux jack. This is a MAJOR defect.
It is a far cry from a software bug that can be found in any new high tech device. I accept the occasional glitches that can occur where an app hangs or quits or occarionally when the music player starts playing simultaneously when I start the podcast app. These ( and a number of other glitches I have experienced) are expected in a new device like this. But this headphone jack issue that renders 2 of the 3 speakers on the phone inoperable without a reboot is unacceptable. Fortunately Verizon has now replaced 2 Droids for me and #3 has not yet shown a problem. But I know that just because I am currently no longer dealing with this, a lot of people still are. And for Verizon and Motorola to act as though they are unaware of this issue is laughable.

ebay2tr

Reaction score
Beefydoc...how long have you had your 3rd Droid? I was curious how quickly you encountered the problems with your first two.

I've been trying so many different things to remedy the sound issue that I've started having other very odd problems. I have some random wording on one screen that says something to the effect that its trying to show a widget and sometimes when a call comes in the icons for unlock and sound on the home screen look "turned"; as if I would swipe them upwards towards the top of the phone rather than sideways....it's getting more and more bizarre.

darreno1

Reaction score
With all due respect to Darreno1, the problem ebay2tr is having cannot be solved by plugging and unplugging with an app playing. This is something much more difficult to fix. I know because I had this same issue on 2 Droids. No combination of plugging, unplugging, with and without apps playing or killing tasks would allow me to hear a phone conversation on any setting except on speakerphone. Unless I rebooted and then the phone was fine untill the next time. If I was playing anything through the headphone jack (music player, videos, podcasts, Pandora, etc), once I unplugged I could no longer hear through the telephone speaker. I had to go to speakerphone or use the Aux jack to make or receive a call. Eventually it got to the point where the speaker phone would not work either and I had to reboot or receive the call through the Aux jack. This is a MAJOR defect.
It is a far cry from a software bug that can be found in any new high tech device. I accept the occasional glitches that can occur where an app hangs or quits or occarionally when the music player starts playing simultaneously when I start the podcast app. These ( and a number of other glitches I have experienced) are expected in a new device like this. But this headphone jack issue that renders 2 of the 3 speakers on the phone inoperable without a reboot is unacceptable. Fortunately Verizon has now replaced 2 Droids for me and #3 has not yet shown a problem. But I know that just because I am currently no longer dealing with this, a lot of people still are. And for Verizon and Motorola to act as though they are unaware of this issue is laughable.

I wish you would let ebay2tr do the talking rather talk for him. The question was directed at him not you. Sorry, but not everyone has to reboot. I have encountered this once or twice and have successfully remedied it by plugging and unplugging. Obviously your situation is more serious. I wish you luck with your third Droid.

beefydoc

Reaction score
I started having this problem two weeks ago every once in awhile.

Last week it was happening more often so I took it to a corporate Verizon store with a tech and was told that they had never heard of the problem ...WHAT...They told me to just wait until the next update and that it would probably be fixed.

Prior to yesterday if I put the caller on speaker phone or rebooted the phone then it would go back to "normal". But alas, yesterday was the worst...I can no longer hear ANYONE who calls me....nothing I do will make the phone work any longer.

I have literally tried everything...(plug, unplug), (ctrl, alt, delete), (pressing power button & menu), (multiple reboots),(multiple battery removals), (removal of audio apps), (sound quality tweak), etc., etc., etc.

I have spent hours and hours searching & reading every available forum, website, etc. searching for possible fixes to no avail. I cannot speak to everyone who calls on speakerphone...not at all practical.

I am totally in love with my droid with this HUGE exception...I had hoped it would be till death do we part...but yesterday I was close to killing my phone...lol

Help!!!!!

I wish you would let ebay2tr do the talking rather talk for him. The question was directed at him not you. Sorry, but not everyone has to reboot. I have encountered this once or twice and have successfully remedied it by plugging and unplugging. Obviously your situation is more serious. I wish you luck with your third Droid.
Sorry, I was not trying to talk for ebay2tr but unless I misread his post, his problem is worse than mine. At least a reboot would always fix my 1st two Droids, whereas ebay2tr's Droid got to the point where a reboot would not fix the problem. Didn't mean to jump in so aggressively but this is a problem that certainly has not been limited to ebay2tr and me. And either Verizon is incompetent in tracking problems or they are hoping it is a small enough problem that they can deny and ignore it.

beefydoc

Reaction score
Beefydoc...how long have you had your 3rd Droid? I was curious how quickly you encountered the problems with your first two.

I've been trying so many different things to remedy the sound issue that I've started having other very odd problems. I have some random wording on one screen that says something to the effect that its trying to show a widget and sometimes when a call comes in the icons for unlock and sound on the home screen look "turned"; as if I would swipe them upwards towards the top of the phone rather than sideways....it's getting more and more bizarre.
ebay2tr...............I have had my 3rd Droid for about 2 weeks and so far....(knock on wood) no problems. It seems to be working just fine. I have no idea about the other problems you are experiencing.....it may be that you have tweaked it so much that you need to do a factory reset to kind of start back at ground level....just be sure you have backed up your info....I am sure you can find a post in the forums or do a google search on how exactly to do this. ...As for the lock screen looking turned....this sounds suspiously like the lock screen on Android 2.0. The lock screen on Android 2.0 had the lock and sound icons that were kind of quarter circles, so that you swept your finger up from left to right at a 45 degree angle and then back down at a 45 degree angle to the sound icon to unlock the phone. Is this what you are seeing? When the droids were updated to Android 2.01 the lock and unlock icons went from the 45 degree type icon to the straight horizontal icons that you should see. Check your settings to make sure you are running 2.01 and not 2.0. That shouldn't make a difference with your headphone jack problem, but it would be truly bizzare if you somehow unknowingly reverted back to 2.0.
You may just want to go back to Verizon and insist on a replacement b/c of the jack problem. As long as you are within the 30 day window you should be okay.

ebay2tr

Reaction score
I am long past the 30 day honeymoon...although if after the next update it still does not work I'll be headed back to the Verizon store for an exchange. I'm too inexperienced/nervous to attempt a factory reset but I sure appreciate your willingness to help. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the update will mysteriously cure all my Droids ills.

PS. I'm a gal...lol

beefydoc

Reaction score
I am long past the 30 day honeymoon...although if after the next update it still does not work I'll be headed back to the Verizon store for an exchange. I'm too inexperienced/nervous to attempt a factory reset but I sure appreciate your willingness to help. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the update will mysteriously cure all my Droids ills.

PS. I'm a gal...lol
Sorry about that...... There is an update to Android 2.1 coming ( the rumor is that it is coming January 22, if not, it should come in the next month or so). Good luck

Jackattack

Reaction score
Answer from Motorola regarding this problem

I have had the same problem many times, I contacted motorola and the issue was pushed to a level 2 representive. (Whatever that means) Anyways here is the responds. Sounds like a bunch of BS if you ask me.

The good news is they did state I could get it replaced under warrenty.

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I have reviewed your e-mail and I am ready to help.

The next step would be a master reset,Basically, what a master reset does it refreshes your whole phone settings and most likely have that issue resolved.However, you would need to back up all valuable information because the reset wipes all contents in phone.Your contacts and calendar should already be synched with gmail when you log back into your phone with your gmail email address.But, I would advise you to verify within your gmail account on a desktop.As for your applications and ringtones it's possible that you may lose them.After those trouble shooting steps if the issue still remains which I strongly doubt.You can warranty in your phone and give us a call at the number below

If you have any other questions you can contact customer care at (800) 453-0920 or web FAQ’s at http://idenphones.motorola.com/iden/support/support_home_main.jsp?rd=true .

Thank you again for contacting Motorola Customer Care. We hope the information provided fulfilled your needs.

Best regards

mntbikejack

Reaction score
After those trouble shooting steps if the issue still remains which I strongly doubt.You can warranty in your phone and give us a call at the number below

I can't believe they don't have a clue that this is a software bug. Rebooting the phone fixes it, so why do a warranty exchange when they most likely can make a patch for the issue.

I guess everyone should start calling them about this. I will call them now.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i was having this issue until i was forced to do a factory reset because i was locked out of my phone. now every time i remove the plug to my speakers the song pauses until i hit the play button, just like it's suppose to work.

Last edited:

Jackattack

Reaction score
Results from factory reset (master)

Same problem but it did correct the (pause issue).

Now since the reset I am only getting audio out of the right speakers on my headsets and truck aux port??? Anyone else experience this?

I still loose all audio unless in speaker mode after unplugging headphones.

Requires restart (power down than back on) to correct, until next time then same problem... BAH endless process.

I purchased this phone not only to make calls but to utilize the media player (music) this is TERRIBLE!! If I were in the 30-day return policy limit this phone would be gone! Btw I am only 7 days outside of it and Verizon says NO to replacement.

I updated the tech at Motorola via email and will post his reply when I hear back.

Thanks for listening guys, let me hear from you with your problems with this issue..

Zippster

Reaction score
Had this issue today for the first time after using the audio jack in my truck, of course I had no clue this happened until I received an important phone call on the job which I couldnt hear so figured they hung up, only to have them call back with same issue, reboot DID SQUAT and having no headphone plug available had to run back to my truck and use that one to get it to reset.......:icon_evil:

I love my Droid but do consider it a business class phone and some of these issues are not small ones.