The Official Thread for No Sound after HeadPhone Use

L.Rawlins

Reaction score
This issue isn't just affecting the Motorola Droid.

My day old HTC Desire on the O2 network here in England has just befallen this very same issue. I find myself here through an online effort to resolve it, and thought you should all know that my identical experience points to this being Android's fault - not the Droid's.

I'm running a HTC Desire, Sense UI and Android 2.1.

I can't hear any audio over anything but Bluetooth currently. Calls, music, radio, video, notifications, alarms and the loudspeaker... I've also confirmed that the recipient can't hear me during a call now either.

I unplugged the AUX cable from my car whilst the Spotify app was still active earlier today and it would seem that for all this devices inherent wizardry, the simplest of functions has brought it to its knees until I can figure out a way to turn the phone... back into a phone.

I've tried most of the clever and crude methods discussed here but my Desire is still sans audio. Curiously, this 'two ring', 'three ring' headphone conjecture seems to hold some weight. I discovered that by slowly connecting/disconnecting a mic-less 'two-ring' set of headphones I could actually get the Sense UI to depict a headset, despite not having connected one!

My initial layman thoughts are that Android is jumping the gun as to what you've connected and not waiting for the connection to be securely made before running an audio/calling profile, and then locking up.

My only option right now is to factory reset this thing and hope that the bug clears, but I am somewhat encouraged to read that it might not be the HTC Desire's hardware. So thank you all. I hope the info that I've shared above is equally as reassuring in your individual cases.

This needs to get back to Google. I think it's the OS, not the Droid.

L.Rawlins

Reaction score
I'm now looking into the app that provoked the problem, since I've noticed that playback through Spotify specifically has been noticeably stop/start (visible on the current track progress bar) regardless of the presence of any actual sound from anything on the device.

If I'm able to reinstall the Spotify app and subsequently fix my own remarkably similar issue a lot of you are having with the Droid... then perhaps the problem lies between Android and its application interface? As if something somewhere is locking up/hanging regarding the audio jack, but not in any one particular application. (Given that Spotify isn't in the US yet... I don't see it being the issue.)

Any thoughts?...

trumpet444

Reaction score
I've had the same crackling issues and being stuck in headphone mode problem. Another thing that I haven't seen here (i dont think) is random media player apps opening up along with the crackling. Sometimes (75% of the time) when I get that crackling noise, while I'm listening to a radio or music player, ANOTHER music player app opens on it's own and starts playing. It's happened WAY too often to be accidental button pushing and it only happens when there is a crackling noise, as if the static is somehow "telling" the phone to open another media app. Very very weird and aggravating.

TravisA

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced not having any call sound after unplugging the headphone since the 2.1 update. I thought 2.1 had taken care of it, but my phone started doing it again yesterday.

darreno1

Reaction score
Since 2.1 I haven't had the 'no sound' issue and all crackling stopped when I bought some good headphones and earbuds.

bl42ed0

Reaction score
I might have a slightly different issue on the dinc. When I plug in headphones or a car adapter into the 3.5mm jack, I noticed the phone not being able to figure out if its a headset or headphones. I tried playing Pandora and the icon would pop up for headphone then headset then disappear as if I had unplugged it. Software or defective phone?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

two-

Reaction score
Hi, i m from Argentina. Down here the "Droid" is called "Milestone". This is my second one, i get my first one changed by "Personal" (my cell phone company) after they checked it and sended it to Motorola Argentina for an ispection. Today after 4 months of use of my second Droid i got the same problem again. I ended a running sesion, unplugged the ear jacks (the original ones provided by Motorola with the phone) and when i tryed to call my GF i noticed i got no sound. Started to check it and OMFG the problem of the 1st phone has came back. It make me real angry, and it doesnt fix reboting, doing a master reset, or pluging and unplugin the jacks. I really pissed off because for a new phone i got to go trougth a month of checks by the cell phone service of the company before the remplace the phone.

two-

Reaction score
Well i just downloaded the auddiotoggle aplication by trtg, it doesnt give me an option to install it so i just extracted it in the sd folder without creating any new directory and MAGIC the music started to play on the speaker without touching anything else.

error1985

Reaction score
Audio Toggle app.

Hi there. I also am having audio issues with my droid x being stuck in headset mode. Everything was fine and out of no where I notice I can't hear my phone calls or music unless the phone's speaker is on or unless I plug in some headphones. I did some searching and installed the audio toggle app and yes it did turn on my ear speaker and I was now able to hear music and calls again. However, now when I play music and plug in my earphones the music continues to play from the phones speaker and does not send audio to my headphones. HALP!? I uninstalled the audio toggle app and am back to my first problem. It has to be a software issue right? Since the speakers on the phone obviously work with the audio toggle app installed. How can I make my phone smart again?

Red_Shoes

Reaction score
If might be of some help: It happend the same to me, but none of the suggestions worked.
I finally manage to discover that in my phone settings - call setting, there is an option "hearing aid". I use this option because the Desire Z ringer is very quiet.
When I deactivate the option everything went back to normal. I have sound again from incoming calls. It should be a rom bug because I use it with the previous version of the rom and I didn't have any problems.

aglarond

Reaction score
I signed up for these forums just for this topic. I ran into the same thing and didn't want to replace my phone. After digging around with the hardware a bit, I saw that there is a small button at the bottom of the headphone jack with two copper leads on either side. Presumably that button tells the phone when a jack is inserted and it seems to get stuck. Taking something smaller than a headphone jack and digging into it unstuck the button and everything started working again. I think that's why some people are able to fix it by reinserting the headphones multiple times. Eventually it hits that button just right and it pops back out.

It doesn't explain why resetting would help anything, though. That sounds like software. Maybe we're dealing with multiple issues here?

-mS

sallyhoe2001

Reaction score
Speaker Button On/Off as a fix?

I've spent a few minutes reading this thread and I'm not sure if I am having the same problem or something completely different...

When I get a call and answer it, I cannot hear the person from the ear piece at all, but if I turn Speaker phone on then off everything is back to normal and I can hear the person fine. Anyone else having this issue?

This is after a hard reset and no apps installed...

sallyhoe2001

Reaction score
My problem ended up being Bluetooth related... for some reason my Hands Free in my car wasn't disconnecting from the phone, once I deleted my Bluetooth profiles and re-connected to my Hands Free everything began working fine... Weird issues...

dmwoods

Reaction score