The Official Thread for No Sound after HeadPhone Use

CaribbeanBlue

Reaction score
I had my first Droid replaced because of this issue. The 2nd droid has not had the same problems so I went to bestbuy and purchased a really high quality AUX cable and have not had the problem since. I believe it's a grounding issue with cheap cables/headphones. I have a set of SkullCandy Skullcrushers and they have no issues.

Interesting. I guess I'll just need to get a high quality aux cable. I've been meaning to, so I guess I don't really have an excuse now. :p

PatG

Reaction score
I had my first Droid replaced because of this issue. The 2nd droid has not had the same problems so I went to bestbuy and purchased a really high quality AUX cable and have not had the problem since. I believe it's a grounding issue with cheap cables/headphones. I have a set of SkullCandy Skullcrushers and they have no issues.

Interesting. I guess I'll just need to get a high quality aux cable. I've been meaning to, so I guess I don't really have an excuse now. :p

I will need to buy a high quality headset.

mochaman

Reaction score
Same problem. After running Pandora or listening to my music at the gym with headphones, my earpiece will not work. I took it into Verizon. The first time he took the phone back and said it was fixed but Verizon associate couldn't remember how he did it. The second time I went in, he told me after running Pandora or using headphones I would have to power off and take out the battery and then power up again. It does work, but what a pain for such a progressive phone. Anybody have any other way of fixing this????

zasran

Reaction score
Replugging/unplugging something usually works, not sure under what circumstances,

I worked around the problem by going bluetooth only (car stereo, home stereo)

Somebody mentioned an application that fixes this (see other messages in this thread),

ero

ero

Murz

Reaction score
I've written an app that will reset audio routing so it comes out of the earpiece again- you can download here:
AllDroid - View topic - [RELEASE] fix audio after disconnecting headphones/AUX cable

or just download the attachment and rename it to AudioToggle.apk and install.

Sorry for this noob question... but once I have the .apk file on my SD card, how do I launch/install the app? I've never installed anything other than Market apps... (commence stone throwing now!)

gg7aph

Reaction score
Here's my story...
This is my second droid, after the crackling became too much after a few weeks of owning the original. It's gradually got jsut as bad with this new droid. My headphone jack has a 1-2mm wobble in it. The crackling drives me mad! It also cuts in and out of either channel, depending on how it lies in my pocket.
Finally, the media player jsut sometimes stops altogether while in the middle of a song. I think it's because the wobble causes the headphone jack to internally 'disconnect' and so the mediaplayer thinks the headphones have been disconnected and stopped. It's bulls**t.
I also get the 'can't hear a caller' after unplugging headphones.
Recently I got a new thing - whereby the phone would ring & vibrate as i had an incoming call, but would not light up for me to unlock it and answer the call - even when pressing the 'awake' button on the top by the headphone jack.
I paid $199 for this and it fails tob be anything - a music player? no... a phone? no....so far, the only thing that's not given my an issue of the text messaging....
I would love to take this back to verizon, but expect them to send it off for repair, leaving me without a phone, and for all the issues to remain.
I'm THOROUGHLY disappointed in this product.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Same problem. After running Pandora or listening to my music at the gym with headphones, my earpiece will not work. I took it into Verizon. The first time he took the phone back and said it was fixed but Verizon associate couldn't remember how he did it. The second time I went in, he told me after running Pandora or using headphones I would have to power off and take out the battery and then power up again. It does work, but what a pain for such a progressive phone. Anybody have any other way of fixing this????

Hey had the same problem when installing the pa15-toy interface into my truck. Listened to pandora on my speakers and when I took the aux chord out of the ear phone jack I couldnt hear anything through the ear piece. I had to restart my phone to get the sound to come out of the ear piece again. Searched around the forum and I cant recall who said it but they said you have to power off what ever you are using and the phone will switch back to the ear piece. For example while listening to pandora make sure you quit the app and then every thing is fine. If you just yank the head phones out while pandora is playing the droid will not switch back from head phone audio to ear piece audio. (Im not using the right terms but I hope you are getting the point) Ever since then I have never had the problem as long as what ever I am doing I quit first before I take the head phone or aux chord out of the droid head phone jack. It must be some sort of bug the droid has but at least this way you don't have to re-power the phone or do a battery pull to get the volume back in your ear piece. Let me know if this works for you.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I've written an app that will reset audio routing so it comes out of the earpiece again- you can download here:
AllDroid - View topic - [RELEASE] fix audio after disconnecting headphones/AUX cable

or just download the attachment and rename it to AudioToggle.apk and install.

That works pretty well for me, the only problem is it can cause the opposite problem. If I use the toggle to get sound back through my phone, then later i hook it back into my stereo, it wont play over teh stereo speakers. just over my speaker phone. A unplug and replug of the jack does the trick.

This isnt so bad since you will always have the jack right there in that case. Unlike the other issue where you may be away from the jack when you realize the phone isnt working.

bailalail

Reaction score
Whew, I was thinking that I had something majorly wrong with my Droid when I could receive/send calls, but not hear anything on the other end. I had just unplugged my cassette adapter in my van after listening to Pandora and I thought that, since Pandora has frozen my Droid multiple times, the app had caused this problem. I had to power on/off twice in order to fix the problem. Glad to see it is not something worse and next time I will close Pandora before unplugging. :)

PatG

Reaction score
Whew, I was thinking that I had something majorly wrong with my Droid when I could receive/send calls, but not hear anything on the other end. I had just unplugged my cassette adapter in my van after listening to Pandora and I thought that, since Pandora has frozen my Droid multiple times, the app had caused this problem. I had to power on/off twice in order to fix the problem. Glad to see it is not something worse and next time I will close Pandora before unplugging. :)

Powering down Pandora may not always work. It is a very intermittent problem. There is a program that someone wrote to reset the audio paths; it is in this thread.

htbyron

Reaction score
I have spoken to VZW customer service about this a couple of times. One of their CSRs called me yesterday to follow up on the problem. He said he had spoken with a senior engineer about it after hearing that this problem has been reported by others. He told me that the upcoming OTA update will address this problem. We shall see...