The Official "I got my LG G3" Thread!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
So, after a trip down iPhone lane, and then down Turbo lane, I came back to the G3. I found out that I missed the G3 and everything it can and will do. I actually felt the Turbo was a step down and hey, I really liked the iPhone 6, but it has issues that I couldn't over come either.

The best phone for me is the G3 and it's the one I'm going to stick with for a while. Take a look at my siggy if you want to know more about any of the devices I've tried this year. I recommend the G3 over any of those devices. The G2 is a close second and the reason I still own a G2. They're both wonderful devices.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good luck with your G3 Scotty! That's why we all love Android....there's literally something to suit everyone's taste/style. (As opposed to the i-Alternative....)

S5 tap'n

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Hey, y'all! Nice to see so many familiar "faces" from the S3 Forums. :)

I got my G3 the beginning of the month (a Verizon Cyber Monday impulse buy), but I'm just now finding the time to delve into it. I really like it! I do find that certain apps take longer to load than they did on the S3 (Amazon, my banking app, and sometimes Tapatalk), but I'm not sure if that's the phone, the OS, or the apps not playing well with any of it. I much prefer the LG UI to TouchWiz, which I always found cumbersome. I slapped Buzz Launcher on it, and it works beautifully.

The size of this thing is just perfect for me. The screen is huge (a requirement for my tired old eyes!), but the phone fits nicely in my hand. I think it's the way the back curves -- because I played with the Note 4 in the store, with its flat back, and it was just. too. big.

One thing I don't like is that you can't boot into stock recovery without resetting the phone. And, of course, the Verizon bloatware is annoying. So my next project is to downgrade to 10B so I can root.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
**waves @amazonfemme**
Great to see you over here femme! As on the S3 forums, lots of great information & friendly folk. Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Please let me know how that goes. I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I'm scared ;)

Just wanted to follow up on this. I tried flashing to ver. 10B, but can't get my computer to show the ports, so I can't select COM 41, so no flash. I may give it another go, but right now I'm sticking with what I've got. With any luck, some enterprising dev will figure out how to root 12B. :)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Just wanted to follow up on this. I tried flashing to ver. 10B, but can't get my computer to show the ports, so I can't select COM 41, so no flash. I may give it another go, but right now I'm sticking with what I've got. With any luck, some enterprising dev will figure out how to root 12B. :)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2
Thank you. I'm standing by to see if you do get it rolled back, but for now I plan on holding what I got. Mine's running great, so I probably wouldn't want to to anything to it right now anyway.

Nathaniel Haller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G2
Camera – I love the camera. It’s basically the same one from the G2 and I loved the G2’s camera. I haven’t really noticed any difference in the focus speed of the camera, so I am not sure if the laser focus is a gimmick or not, but the camera itself works just as you’d expect and it is right up there with the premier phones of today.

I upgraded from a G2 and the camera doesn't seems as good, I had a bunch of modes that I liked to try out, with the G3, there's only 4 modes. Quality seems as good if not better, which is a plus.

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Thank you. I'm standing by to see if you do get it rolled back, but for now I plan on holding what I got. Mine's running great, so I probably wouldn't want to to anything to it right now anyway.

Success! Sort of. I finally gave up on the .tot method I was trying and went with this instead: Guide VS985 Flash Back To Stock - KDZ Me Verizon LG G3 XDA Forums. It was easy to use, and from there I was able to use Stump to root.

One major caution: If you've got an external SD card in your G3, take it out before you flash the .kdz method. I didn't (never needed to on my S3 or Droid X), and wound up nuking everything on the card. Luckily, I was able to retrieve most of the files (thank the gods for cloud storage!), but it was still a hassle.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk 2

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Success! Sort of. I finally gave up on the .tot method I was trying and went with this instead: Guide VS985 Flash Back To Stock - KDZ Me Verizon LG G3 XDA Forums. It was easy to use, and from there I was able to use Stump to root.

One major caution: If you've got an external SD card in your G3, take it out before you flash the .kdz method. I didn't (never needed to on my S3 or Droid X), and wound up nuking everything on the card. Luckily, I was able to retrieve most of the files (thank the gods for cloud storage!), but it was still a hassle.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk 2
I'll give it a shot this weekend maybe... I scared :p

MAzing87

Reaction score
I got the LG G3 a couple months ago. I was due for an upgrade at the time so I was shopping around. I had the S3, which was the best phone I have ever used at the time. Truth be told, I didn't even know much about the G3 or its predecessor G2. I just took a chance on this phone and I loved it the moment I turned it on.

The biggest plus is the battery. I've used the G3 just as much as the S3 and the battery life is amazing. By the end of a regular day, I'll still have about 30-40% left from a full charge. I had about 15-20% with the S3. Huge! The camera is also a plus. The phone take crisp photos. Videos are great compared to the S3. Only con I have is that when I use the IR, I have to point at the device to make it work. Not much range in angles. Really minor. Other than that, I love this phone.

Last edited: