The Official I Got My Galaxy S5 Thread

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My only question is: I live in Germany, and I ordered the phone from 1und1 network. But when I received the pack and opened I saw that I have the USB 2.0 data cable and not the USB 3.0 which should come with it. What cable did you received and where do you live?

The S5 actually ships with a USB 2.0 cable directly from Samsung in several regions around the world. So, while it does seem odd to have a USB 3.0 port and support, but be given a USB 2.0 cable, it's very likely that you received the cable you were supposed to get for your region.

I'm in the U.S., and my S5 came with a USB 3.0 cable.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've had my S5 for 2 months - had an S3 previously... definitely glad I waited as I was considering switching over to the HTC ONE

Anyone here use a Screen Protector?

Since I tend to buy and sell phones pretty regularly, I always use a screen protector in order to keep the resale value of the phone as high as possible. I'm currently using one of these: Tech Armor Samsung Galaxy S5 High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protectors. They're inexpensive and work very well. It doesn't feel like there's a screen protector on there at all.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The S5 actually ships with a USB 2.0 cable directly from Samsung in several regions around the world. So, while it does seem odd to have a USB 3.0 port and support, but be given a USB 2.0 cable, it's very likely that you received the cable you were supposed to get for your region.

I'm in the U.S., and my S5 came with a USB 3.0 cable.
I learn something new everyday.
Thanks B!
As for screen protectors, I've never been a fan until picking up a tempered glass protector for my S5. As bsweetness mentioned, it feels like it's got nothing on it at all and doesn't attract as many fingerprints.
Good luck!

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

DaudIonut

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5 + Galaxy S3 (I9300)
@bsweetness
Hi! Thanks for info. Is indeed pretty odd, but I want to know one more thing if you can answer. Does the difference worth the money? I want to buy a USB 3.0 cable from amazon, and I found original cables from 7 to 10 euros, but I don't know if the change is really that big. I'm interested especially in the charging time, since I don't use the data cable for transferring media from my PC.

Thanks in advance!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
@bsweetness
Hi! Thanks for info. Is indeed pretty odd, but I want to know one more thing if you can answer. Does the difference worth the money? I want to buy a USB 3.0 cable from amazon, and I found original cables from 7 to 10 euros, but I don't know if the change is really that big. I'm interested especially in the charging time, since I don't use the data cable for transferring media from my PC.

Thanks in advance!

There is no difference in charging time between using a 2.0 cable and a 3.0 cable when using a wall charger. The extra pins in the 3.0 are only for faster data transfer. So, if you're not worried about data transfer, a 2.0 cable is just as good as a 3.0.

It's a common misconception that a 3.0 cable allows for faster charging than a 2.0 cable when using a wall charger, but it's simply not true. You might see people claiming that it does for them, but it really doesn't. Using any number of apps that read in the incoming current while charging will demonstrate that. Other factors impact the speed of charging, such as the charging source (wall outlet/car/computer USB port) or the plug being used (some allow more amps to pass through), but a 3.0 cable doesn't. The quality and/or condition of the cables being used can make a difference as well. Some people might get a faster charging time out of an OEM 3.0 charging cable versus a generic 2.0 cable, but that's entirely due to the quality of the cables and not anything related to USB 2.0 vs 3.0.

I mentioned "with a wall charger" more than once because using a USB 3.0 cable can charge the phone faster when you're connected to a USB 3.0 port on a computer (it makes no difference when connected to a USB 2.0 port on a computer). But this will still be slower than using a USB 2.0 cable and a wall charger.

Duster

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member, so thought I would post my thoughts.

After being a die-hard Droid user since the original Droid, and a fanatical user of the slide-out keyboard, Motorola/Google/whoever decided us hard board users weren't enough of a market, and has given no indication of a replacement for the Droid 4. So, I had to bite the bullet and look for a new phone. I had two mandatory requirements (removable battery and an SD slot) which severely limited my choices, and ruled out almost all Motorola offerings.

I landed on the S5, and I have to say that I am very happy with the phone so far (I've had it all of one week). The screen is big enough that I can (barely) function with an onscreen keyboard, the battery life is very nice (especially compared to my tired Droid 4), and it is just generally a very nice user experience. I work in public safety and am a techno geek, so I have a lot of apps on my phones that 'normal' people wouldn't necessarily use (I average around 150 apps), and this phone is barely even noticing. I got the Verizon glass screen protector, and I cannot even tell it is there. I picked up a slim Otter case for it, and I love it. Sticking with slim cases seems to make the large size manageable. I would not be able to use this thing with a full Otter box on it.

The hearbeat monitor works, and is accurate enough, although the first time i used it it was wildly off base (like 100 beats/min). I immediately re-took it and compared it by taking my pulse, and it was within 10 beats/min. I think it was just a sensitivity thing. If it looks off when you use it, try it again. I haven't tried the fingerprint security yet (even though it sounds COOL), because almost everyone I've talked to said it was gimmicky and more trouble than it's worth. I'll probably enable it and try it for fun eventually.

Downsides:
1. I cannot use it one-handed, because my thumb can't Swype all the way across the keyboard (too wide);
2. Very awkward to wear on my hip in a clip case, so I'm having to get used to having it in a pocket (I bought a clip case for it as well, but it doesn't give as good of protection as the Otter).
3. (and this is a big one for me), I cannot save to my SD Card, although I understand that is a function of Android 4.4 and not the phone itself.
4. The vibrate function is too quiet...too "soft". I'm used to the Droid that will rattle when it vibrates, and this thing just softly buzzes. I could hear/feel my Droid sometimes through several layers of protective clothing. This phone I sometimes miss when its sitting on the desk in front of me.
5. I hate the USB cover, but I also realize that without it, the phone is not water resistant. I'll live with it.

Overall, I think I'm going to like this phone...of course now that I'm committed to it for 2 years, Verizon will offer a new Droid with a slider keyboard before Christmas!! LOL

Last edited:

bswnyca

Reaction score
I've read the finger print scanner is a gimmick and is quirky. It works for me every time without a hitch and I love it.

do you have a cover on your phone? i have an otter commuter cover and am so frustrated with finger scanner. could it be cuz bottom of case disallows a smooth 'run' over the home button?

Duster

Reaction score
Thought I'd add an update: I'm now using the fingerprint scanner for security, and I love it! It IS very sensitive, and some may consider that 'finicky', but it works for me every time. I have 3 different digits input for reading. I no longer think it is a gimmick, since it works for me and keeps everyone else (kids, wife...especially kids!) out of my phone.

Sent from my Samsung S5 on Tapatalk

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Thought I'd add an update: I'm now using the fingerprint scanner for security, and I love it! It IS very sensitive, and some may consider that 'finicky', but it works for me every time. I have 3 different digits input for reading. I no longer think it is a gimmick, since it works for me and keeps everyone else (kids, wife...especially kids!) out of my phone.

Sent from my Samsung S5 on Tapatalk
Congrats and thanks for sharing..

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Finally got my own S5 through Verizon on Friday. Had been using a Sprint S5 since the end of May from work and had fallen in love with it. Have had Motorola phones for 2 years and originally hated Samsung. I'm getting the same phone signal in my dead-zone of a home as I was with Moto, so big props to Samsung there. Previously with the S3, I was having failed text messages and calls in my house. Battery life for me is alright. I can still get through a day, which is all I really need, as I have access to a charger all day anyway.
I have a tempered glass screen protector on my phone along with the Commuter case. You should see some of the pictures I've gotten with this phone. It's just crazy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk