The Official I Got My Galaxy S5 Thread

Phreaker47

Reaction score
To my surprise, I got mine yesterday a day early. Switched to T-Mobile as well to get unlimited everything. At the end of the day, about the same price as Verizon per month over the long haul.

Anyway yeah, it's kind of weird that they turned the context menu into a long press and made 'recent apps' the default behavior. I'm used to the latter being a home button long press so this is kind of weird.

Changing menu displays from all those circles to list mode helps... it's such a chore to scroll through otherwise.

Here's hoping for custom ROMS soon!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Received mine today ...... slight learning curve from the S3 :wink-b:

I have one slight problem/dislike: the lower left on the S3 was a button that when pushed, depending on what app you were in or on the home screen brought up a list of options for that app or home screen. Now that button on the S5 is a list of places you have accessed last and the task screen. Now some of the apps I have don't have full functions without that button. Example: Chase Bank App - That button brought up Deposits, Payments & Transfers etc. but now I do not have any way of accessing them. Is this function button found somewhere else. I really do not have any use for 'where I have been reacently' but that button as a function button was much more useful to me. I am hoping it is someplace else but I haven't found it as yet ...... anyone else?

I wonder if those soft keys can be reassigned?

Secondlaw

Reaction score
So far I'm pretty impressed with this phone. A few things that I read, I simply cannot agree with. I've read the finger print scanner is a gimmick and is quirky. It works for me every time without a hitch and I love it. Maybe some people burned their finger prints off smoking a little too much dope and not knowing when to stop.

It took 2 minutes to setup the finger print scanner. I used my pointer finger but find myself scanning with my thumb. NO PROBLEM... You can setup more that 1 finger.

Anyway... I went to a hockey game last night with my son. Here 's a picture of a very low light shot taken behind some pretty beet up glass. Notice how clear the lettering is on the opposite side (this was a 4meg file down to 400k so some quality obviously lost). That's some very low lighting and I'm pretty impressed.

njdevils1.jpg

I took over a hundred pictures + a handful of videos, used google maps to get to where I was going (didn't need it, just wanted to see how well it functioned (very good)), surfed the web for a while, posted to facebook, etc... and the battery life still 1/2.

I'm not much of a ROM person but I do root my phone to take advantage of some apps (root call blocker, the app that allows you to turn the shutter sound on your camera off, get rid of the bloatware, and of course the most important item, tethering with my unlimited data plan! etc...)

I'm coming from an S3. The camera quality was ok. This camera is MUCH snappier (no pun intended) and I'm really impressed with it so far. The video does offer slow motion but I have to bow my head to the iPhone on this one... The iPhone is just better. This one seems to have a little lag / jerkiness kind of feel to it when watching. Maybe if enough people complain, they will come out with a software fix for it. To me, it's not that important.

One more thing about the camera. There's no way in hell anyone here is going to tell me the paltry camera on the M8 is going to take higher quality pictures than this phone. No gonna happen.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Great input. Keep it coming.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Congrats everyone on your new phones! Keep the reviews and updates coming!

apl3

Reaction score
Well I will throw in my 2 cents. I was a bit leary of the s5. I have always owned Motorola phones very solidly built. With a phone case on the S5 I do not notice the plastic, lighter construction. The camera I must say is great for me. All the Motorolas I used the cameras were horrible in low light. My only gripe so far about the S5 is the USB door cover. With a phone case for me its a pain in the ass to open. I like the fact of a removable battery I really missed that feature. Overall if I have to rate the phone I would give it a 9 out of 10.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Thanks for your review! Welcome to the Sammy line of phones.

~ tapa tap'n ~

Caesars

Reaction score
First full day of use, trying to kill this battery.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Well I will throw in my 2 cents. I was a bit leary of the s5. I have always owned Motorola phones very solidly built. With a phone case on the S5 I do not notice the plastic, lighter construction. The camera I must say is great for me. All the Motorolas I used the cameras were horrible in low light. My only gripe so far about the S5 is the USB door cover. With a phone case for me its a pain in the ass to open. I like the fact of a removable battery I really missed that feature. Overall if I have to rate the phone I would give it a 9 out of 10.

I ended up getting a cover, an Incipio Pro. It feels better. Extends a tad beyond the camera, that I like also.
I'm use to the durability of the Droid line too.
But I'm really loving this S5.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Keep in mind, waterproof = USB cover. Thanks for sharing.