★ The Official "I got my Galaxy S4" thread ★

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Can't activate mine. Had the same issue with my Bionic two years ago and they ended up frying the SIM over the phone. First I was getting "can't initialize your SIM Card", now I'm just getting ten minutes of "activating" followed by "failed activation." Shut off my Bionc, called the correct number from a landline and activated the SIM, inserted the SIM, turned on the phone. This is incredible frustrating.

EDIT: Called Verizon shortly after making this post and they quickly took care of it. The guy I spoke with had no idea why the activation was failing, so he manually updated my number with the correct IMEI and Sim Card number and it activated within 30 seconds after that.

Really, really loving it thus far. I've been having a blast playing with the air gestures and whatnot, though a lot of them don't seem to work all that well in "real world" conditions. Seems like you have to have pretty specific lighting to get them to work well. I could only get eye tracking to work once, which was sort of disappointing.

Some quick notes...

-The device is incredibly snappy. I never had a specific issue with speed on my Bionic, but this blows it out of the water.
-Feels really great to use something other than a device running MotoBlur. I never used to care for Samsung much, but the new features built into TouchWiz are quite useful.
-The phone feels incredibly light and relatively sturdy, despite being plastic. Taking the back cover off is a pain.
-Biggest fingerprint magnet ever.
-The camera is absolutely fantastic. I've been dying to have a phone that could rival the iPhone in terms of picture quality and this not only does it, but it may very well beat it. The quick shots I was taking looked fantastic.

Still a lot of questions I need to address, specifically regarding notifications and notification lights. I have a very specific way I like to receive that stuff, and I can't seem to get it down thus far. My usual app, "Blink" doesn't seem to play nice with Samsung devices.

Last edited:

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boom! :cool-b:

mys4_2.jpg

This thing is amazing! Loving it so far. Time to play with it some more! :big smile:

<sarcasm>Meh, that phones OK, I guess...</sarcasm>

RoscoeDpG

Reaction score
phone has been amazing first day out, BUT only prob i got now is my damn comp wont install the drivers for me to plug in and do my dirty deeds on it lol

RoscoeDpG

Reaction score
i take last post back worked after like 30 min of repeating over and over suddenly went thru

BillyT

Reaction score
My phone is on the truck for delivery. I find it interesting that the phone was driven down to Richmond, Va from Newark, NJ last night. I pretty much figured it would fly to Memphis and might or might not get on a plane here in the am.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My phone is on the truck for delivery. I find it interesting that the phone was driven down to Richmond, Va from Newark, NJ last night. I pretty much figured it would fly to Memphis and might or might not get on a plane here in the am.

Its likely been sitting at the local sort facility for a few days.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Out for delivery! I'm just hoping the activation goes smooth. I had to switch upgrades with my daughter (first day of pre-order) to get it, but on Verizon.com it has and still does show my bionic as having an update available and her phone as having been upgraded. Kinda confusing but a rep said that when it's activated it will be on my line. Hope so, she's gonna be pi$$ed at having her phone number on an android, she's an apple nut. LOL. Maybe it will upgrade on her line, keeping unlimited and then I can switch it to my line so I can have the unlimited. That would be cool, but the rules and loopholes are too confusing! LOL

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
It's on my desk charging. I guess I could boot it while it's charging and let it sync up...

Anyone know if you can use the other chargers (Bionic, etc.) with the S4?

BillyT

Reaction score
Mine is charging as well. There is a red notification light on now, can anyone tell me if this will change to green or something once the charging has completed?

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
It's on my desk charging. I guess I could boot it while it's charging and let it sync up...

Congrats and yes, you can use your Bionic charger.

Mine is charging as well. There is a red notification light on now, can anyone tell me if this will change to green or something once the charging has completed?

Yep, it stays red during charging and then turns blue or green once done... can't remember exactly right now..

jseah

Reaction score

It will work fine with any charger. But bear in mind that the stock charger (I believe) is a 2 amp charger. So if you use a different charger that puts out a smaller amperage, it will obviously take longer to charge. At home by my desk I use a HTC charger and it charges my Note 2 fine (it can go from 50% to 100% in about an hour). Next to my bed, I use an old Blackberry charger, which charges at a much slower rate (which is fine when I am sleeping).