★☆★ The Official "I got my Galaxy Nexus" Thread ★☆★

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Congrats to all the recent G-nex acquirers, I am hoping you are all enjoying your shiny new toy :)

moto57

Reaction score
I have been creeping on the forums here for some time now, waiting on this phone to be released like everyone else. Well, I finally got one and I am absolutely in love. I had the OG Droid but just recently got into the rooting business. I'm looking forward to rooting this bad boy but I am trying to wait a little bit in case I need to return it for any reason. I do have a couple quick questions for those that have had more time with it. 1) is the extended battery worth the money? I have only cycled the battery a couple times so it may get better but right now I'm getting pretty shotty battery life. And I have done most of the tricks found here. 2) I am slightly disappointed in my screen, on grey or white screens it seems very grainy looking and I can sometimes see like vertical lines. Anyone heard of this? Hoping its just my phone and I can go get a different one. Thanks for all the help everyone these forums rock!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been creeping on the forums here for some time now, waiting on this phone to be released like everyone else. Well, I finally got one and I am absolutely in love. I had the OG Droid but just recently got into the rooting business. I'm looking forward to rooting this bad boy but I am trying to wait a little bit in case I need to return it for any reason. I do have a couple quick questions for those that have had more time with it. 1) is the extended battery worth the money? I have only cycled the battery a couple times so it may get better but right now I'm getting pretty shotty battery life. And I have done most of the tricks found here. 2) I am slightly disappointed in my screen, on grey or white screens it seems very grainy looking and I can sometimes see like vertical lines. Anyone heard of this? Hoping its just my phone and I can go get a different one. Thanks for all the help everyone these forums rock!

Might be your phone. I've never seen any graininess and I'm about as picky as it gets. This is just about the best screen I've ever laid eyes on.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

Welcome to Droid Forums!! And I second what sbenson says. I have not noticed any grainy-ness but it might not hurt to go into a VZW store and compare to some of the demo phones there. And as far as battery I can't say I have the extended but I am getting really good battery life stock. How long are you getting out of it on average?

moto57

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was thinking, I know that would have been brought up around here if it was a normal thing. I wouldn't consider myself super picky so the fact that I noticed it and no one else had brought it up really led me to believe I've gotten a lemon. Thanks for the reply!

moto57

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums!! And I second what sbenson says. I have not noticed any grainy-ness but it might not hurt to go into a VZW store and compare to some of the demo phones there. And as far as battery I can't say I have the extended but I am getting really good battery life stock. How long are you getting out of it on average?

Here's my current. This is about average to what I've been getting. No games, not excessive use of browser, just seems crappy.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Here's my current. This is about average to what I've been getting. No games, not excessive use of browser, just seems crappy.

I think that is pretty normal for the stock battery. I get a lot more but I use primarily wifi at home because any phone I have had gets terrible reception at my apartment. It's a bit of a dead zone unfortunately.

I am reluctant to believe that the extended will result in a huge increase since it's size is not that much bigger but I could be wrong. Someone else will have to comment on it for you.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's more or less the average on a stock Nexus. A custom rom will probably net you another 2-4 hours based on your usage.

The extended battery will net you an additional 1-3 hours depending on your usage. If you picked one up on the $25 special then I would say it's definitely worth it. But at $50, I would say no - not a big enough jump in battery life to justify that price tag...

I've got the extended and it gives me an additional 3 hours on average so far.

Let's hope the official 4.0.3 fixes battery life.

$mitty

Reaction score
Got my Nexus yesterday! I was a day 1 buyer of the original moto Droid. It served me well for over 2 years, but dayum this new thing is sweet!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Congrats $mitty!! Enjoy your shiny new toy :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

justinxjx

Reaction score
Just got home with my Nexus. So far its pretty sweet. Its quite big compared to my OG droid. To root or not to root, that is the question.

martytoo

Reaction score
Just got home with my Nexus. So far its pretty sweet. Its quite big compared to my OG droid. To root or not to root, that is the question.

Do you love Titanium Backup? Do you plan to use Wireless Tether? These two programs are the main reason that I wanted to root my phone. There will be other benefits. I did try Th3ory ROM and it allows changing the soft keys (back, home, menu, etc.).

I'm sure there will be other benefits as developers write more for the phone.

(Droid Life had listed soft key mods before the phone was released but those didn't work for me.)