The official Droid Turbo battery life thread.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't buy the "yea, but they want to sell devices, so they don't really care if it hurts it in the long run"....
That's how you lose customers. They want to sell devices by making you a fan boy and having you fall in love with the awesome hardware they put out.
"Well this Turbo Charging battery was awesome, but the battery died in 18 months? No way I buy another Moto..."
Tell me that won't happen... I don't care how much of a fanboy you are. (Generally speaking)

Using the car analogy, would you not agree that today's modern engines are much more capable and efficient at hitting higher RPM's then cars 10 years ago??

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Fox has way more patience then I do.... "Phone came with a charger, use it/don't use it."
I don't need a PHD in Chemical Engineering to take the place of common sense...
- Extremes are Bad in most things Heat or Cold. Batteries are no different.
- IF I fast charge (jump) my car battery in a "pinch" BUT trickle charge it to save its long term "life" - Why would I treat other batteries different? (Doh)
- IS it "Really" in a My best interest or the Companies best interest to have my battery last the Longest? Exactly. Now apply that answer to what "they" advise.
- Like I said Fox (God bless him) Adds a Lot of value Here especially when it comes to the Science of "Batterys" I'm not going to spend much (Read: Any) time discounting or questioning his advice.
Thank you Fox :)

Note: To clarify, so apparent "confusion" in a follow on post can be avoided :rolleyes:... I don't believe I ever said jump starting a car battery damages the battery. There was an entire thought flow that was being analogized,
Point being .... trickle charging ANY battery when time allows is the preferred method of restoring it to full charge.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
  • Our optimized battery charging algorithm enables turbo charging while maintaining good battery cycle life.
So you guys think Moto is just talking smack here?

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
  • Our optimized battery charging algorithm enables turbo charging while maintaining good battery cycle life.
So you guys think Moto is just talking smack here?
First off - They said "good" that is "Corporate speak". They did not say "Optimal".
Secondly, God NO! a Company double talking or obfuscating the real facts.... o_O

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
If you didn't want to join the DISCUSSION Captain, you probably shouldn't have replied. Because now we will suck you in. hahaha

- IF I fast charge (jump) my car battery in a "pinch" BUT trickle charge it to save its long term "life" - Why would I treat other batteries different? (Doh)
Jump starting your battery does NOT shorten its life..

- IS it "Really" in a My best interest or the Companies best interest to have my battery last the Longest? Exactly. Now apply that answer to what "they" advise.
Unequivocally in your best interest. How many of us decide what to buy BASED on battery life? I'd say that's a pretty good percentage. and if a company gains a reputation of even putting the BIGGEST BADDEST battery in the phone, but it only lasts 12 months... you going to buy another from them?

- Like I said Fox (God bless him) Adds a Lot of value Here especially when it comes to the Science of "Batterys" I'm not going to spend much (Read: Any) time discounting or questioning his advice.

Hey, man, I love the Fox, too. This isn't Fox bashing. It's discussing.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The fact is, the battery will degrade over time regardless and you're more than likely going to either replace the phone or the battery after a couple years. I know the Turbos battery isn't as easy to replace as say a Samsung device, but imo it's still much ado about nothing in regards to this issue. Just use your device and enjoy it as is.

S5 tap'n

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I don't buy the "yea, but they want to sell devices, so they don't really care if it hurts it in the long run"....
That's how you lose customers. They want to sell devices by making you a fan boy and having you fall in love with the awesome hardware they put out.
"Well this Turbo Charging battery was awesome, but the battery died in 18 months? No way I buy another Moto..."
Tell me that won't happen... I don't care how much of a fanboy you are. (Generally speaking)

Using the car analogy, would you not agree that today's modern engines are much more capable and efficient at hitting higher RPM's then cars 10 years ago??
The analogy not really about the efficiency of modern engines, but rather about the fact that higher RPMs put stress on the engine and as a result, the components of the engine are exposed to higher amounts of wear and stress in a quicker period of time. For example, people who drag race experience engine failure in less miles than the "average" driver. If all aspects were exactly the same between two cars (same power, same everything aside from driving style), with the only differences being that one was raced and done was a typical daily driver, the raced one would experience wear and failure in less miles than the daily driven car. It's a result of the high RPMs the engine is constantly causing stress. And until materials are created that do not succumb to the high stress at high RPM, this will always be the case regardless of how efficient engines get and other aspects of engine technology grow.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I actually did some research on this issue and was Shocked to find out the back story and I think you will be too.
It turns out these batteries we have in our Turbos AND the Charger were designed AND built by Brian Williams while wearing a disguise !!

Recognize Him?

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Anyone who says jump-starting(to full capacity, just like a charger) a battery doesn't harm it.. Is.... Wait for it... WRONG.. it causes issues over the plates.. Scaling.. If you will.. And that diminished the batteries performance in a very short time.. The way a jump start charges vs the way an alternator charges... Way different to the battery (internal chemical state).. And even just bumping up the juice to start the battery, over time... Will lead to the same deterioration...

Drag racing.. 101

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Anyone who says jump-starting(to full capacity, just like a charger) a battery doesn't harm it.. Is.... Wait for it... WRONG.. it causes issues over the plates.. Scaling.. If you will.. And that diminished the batteries performance in a very short time.. The way a jump start charges vs the way an alternator charges... Way different to the battery (internal chemical state).. And even just bumping up the juice to start the battery, over time... Will lead to the same deterioration...

Drag racing.. 101

And this ^ is the SAME issues that create the problems with the LI batteries... Scaling, or plating, or dispensation, whatever you want to call it, the more rapidly you charge the battery - ANY battery, the sooner it will reach end of life. End of story.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
And this ^ is the SAME issues that create the problems with the LI batteries... Scaling, or plating, or dispensation, whatever you want to call it, the more rapidly you charge the battery - ANY battery, the sooner it will reach end of life. End of story.
End. Of. Story......cause Foxkat said so!