The Official Amateur Radio Apps Thread

Harrybub

Reaction score
Let's all keep our eyes open and post any finds here. So far I've found Callsign DB and Ham.

Any others?

HB

kc0qnx

Reaction score
I heard a guy on a local 2m repeater using echolink through his iphone. A Droid echolink app would be great.

kc0qnx

mattygabe

Reaction score
I love the echolink idea.

- Russell, KI4SIA
Perhaps someone should contact the Echolink maintainer (I think it's a single person still, no?), it shouldn't be that difficult for a new Android app to be created, perhaps off of something like an EchoLinux port. One problem is that, as Wikipedia states there, none of the Linux-based applications just for desktops are nearly as full-featured as the Windows-based EchoLink is.

Regardless, perhaps someone should contact Jonathan Taylor K1RFD to see if something like this could possibly be in the pipeline (put it on his radar?)

KB3TPQ

DuqDan83

Reaction score
Interesting to see amateur radio and the droid mentioned in the same sentence. I had to do a double take when reading the thread. I have not been active in amateur radio in a year or two. Anyways, my call is n3zab. Nice to meet all of you, and I'll check out some of these apps.

SpinDroid

Reaction score
I was told today that someone here on the Eastern Shore has Echolink on his Iphone. Oh, by the way, N3BXH here. I would love to see the app for E linkI use HF Beacon, Morsecoder, HAM, and another I can't think of.. Oh, well. I hope that k1rfd is working with someone.

KB3MJ

Reaction score
APRS on my Droid

I found an app to use the droid GPS for APRS. I loaded it last night and this morning I got it to work. Seems that all is well. The install was easy and took only minutes to get things going after I got my Validation Passcode.

As for the Iphone Echolink app. There are several guys who use my link to the KB3BHL repeater who use the app. It works fine except that the audio is extremely high with one or two of them.

73 DE KB3MJ - Denny
From, "The Nation's Summer Capital", Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, USA

KB3MJ's Amateur Radio Website

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I found an app to use the droid GPS for APRS. I loaded it last night and this morning I got it to work. Seems that all is well. The install was easy and took only minutes to get things going after I got my Validation Passcode.

As for the Iphone Echolink app. There are several guys who use my link to the KB3BHL repeater who use the app. It works fine except that the audio is extremely high with one or two of them.

73 DE KB3MJ - Denny

Thanks for the update Denny. Sure hope the Echolink App comes out soon for the Droid platform.

Also, enjoyed reading your qrz.com profile - Aloha

mattygabe

Reaction score
Wish I would've done this much sniffing around, right ON the Echolink site there's this question in the FAQ:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Any plans for creating other editions of EchoLink for other smartphones?[/FONT]

Users have asked about the possibility of an EchoLink app for BlackBerry, Symbian, PalmOS, Android, and Windows Mobile. Unfortunately, these platforms are all very different from each other, so developing software for each would involve five separate development efforts, in addition to iPhone. Development has begun on an edition of EchoLink for Android (with no release timetable yet), but there are no projects underway right now to develop editions for other platforms.

I wish I did more/knew more about mobile application development, and even then I'm not even sure i'd be able to have access to the source code (if that'd even help).

n3vqh

Reaction score

Denny

What app does the APRS?
Did a search for APRS and Ham Radio and didn't find it with either...

Thanks
Mike
N3VQH

KB3MJ

Reaction score
APRS DROID Download site

Here's where I downloaded the app. I 'think' I saw it somewhere else, too. In any case, I downloaded "APRSdroid-current.apk" from 'the download repository' link located here: Home - aprsdroid - GitHub . I had to get my Validation Passcode and if you need yours, let me know. Also, I had to make certain that my GPS in the droid was turned on so I could use it instead of the Network Location.

If you have a bit of trouble, I'll try to help or you might check for an answer from the developer, "Ge0rG". You can login here (it's IRC, so let your machine run, or you might miss an answer) Freenode Java applet IRC portal

Good Luck,

Denny

BagMan

Reaction score
Where did I miss a place to receive a "passcode"?

DE N4HHA

n3vqh

Reaction score
Check your email that's listed on QRZ, BagMan

If that doesn't work I see no reason that we can't post this link seeing as to how all you have to do is google it....

APRS Password Generator

Just downloaded it and did a trip it seemed to work ok...

Thanks for the info KB3MJ

Mike
N3VQH