The Note 3 Is More Durable Than The Iphone 6 Plus

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well today reports started showing up on twitter and various tech sites that Iphone 6 plus users were experiencing bent and warped iphones. They were reporting that this was happening just by carrying the phone in the front pocket. These bent phones were not due to damage or abuse. This led Youtube creator "Unbox Therapy" to upload an Iphone 6 Plus bend test. You can see in the video above just how easily the Iphone 6 Plus bends. The aluminum uni body folds under the slightest bit of pressure at a particularly fragile point near the top 1/3rd of the device. Shortly after posting the Iphone 6 Plus bend test Unbox Therapy uploaded a Note 3 bend test. You may be surprised to see that with all his might he could not bend the Note 3. The Note 3 is made mostly of plastic which is not malleable like aluminum. It also has a magnesium chassis which is also much more durable than aluminum. It is no surprise that it stands up to the bend test! Check out the Note 3 video below.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Kind of surprised that Apple engineers did not realise there is a weak spot where the buttons come through the frame.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I'm no Apple fan... despise them in fact. But, come on that was a lot of pressure. It's like drop tests. Don't drop your phone... don't wear tight jeans and sit down with a small tablet in your front pocket.

wcjeep

Reaction score
The Youtube bend test was uploaded because people had the phones bending on their own while in the owners front pockets. This should have been discovered during durability testing. May 10 cents of aluminum during manufacturing would have prevented this.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm no Apple fan... despise them in fact. But, come on that was a lot of pressure. It's like drop tests. Don't drop your phone... don't wear tight jeans and sit down with a small tablet in your front pocket.

The problem is he was using all his force in his fingers but in your pocket, your entire body weight is there to bend the device. Also, hitting it on a table in your pocket will do it too. I know I hit my Note 3 and my M8 so many times on edges of tables but it never bent or broke. Think of how many women keep their phone in their back pocket. I'm sorry, but it looks like the aluminum is very thin and easy to bend. The glass didn't break but was definitely separating from the housing.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem is he was using all his force in his fingers but in your pocket, your entire body weight is there to bend the device. Also, hitting it on a table in your pocket will do it too. I know I hit my Note 3 and my M8 so many times on edges of tables but it never bent or broke. Think of how many women keep their phone in their back pocket. I'm sorry, but it looks like the aluminum is very thin and easy to bend. The glass didn't break but was definitely separating from the housing.
it broke when he tried to bend it back

Honestly I'm amused and surprised that this wasn't caught before the devices shipped, maybe apple is so keen to get on the phablet bandwagon that they didn't think it was that big an issue

I'm happy because all of my legion of apple friends cannot possibly explain this one away. it's a mistake on apples part plain and simple.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
You're honestly telling folks to not sit down with their phone in their pocket????

So, it's now expected to take your phone out of your pocket before you sit down?

You're in a business meeting or meeitng a lady and you gotta go "one moment, let me pull my phone out before I sit down...."

That's beyond ridiculous. The typical person should be able to sit down and move around with a phone in their pockets without worrying. QA testing would have solved this....

jspradling7

Reaction score
You're honestly telling folks to not sit down with their phone in their pocket????

So, it's now expected to take your phone out of your pocket before you sit down?

You're in a business meeting or meeitng a lady and you gotta go "one moment, let me pull my phone out before I sit down...."

That's beyond ridiculous. The typical person should be able to sit down and move around with a phone in their pockets without worrying. QA testing would have solved this....

Take a breath Nancy you're going to hyperventilate. I don't know about you but I don't go to business meetings in tight jeans with a phablet in my front pocket, mine's always on the table. I just can't see myself sitting down with a 6" phablet in my front or back pocket even when wearing Dockers, too uncomfortable. But Johnomaz is right, people are going to do it. I hadn't heard about the bending when bumping a table or something.

hotice

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this!!!

So many people act like a phone is cheap or poorly designed if it has a plastic/non-metal outer shell. That's not true at all! Plastic is a great material as is Kevlar! They don't break like glass, they're lighter, and they don't interfere with radio waves like metal.

This video is just another reason why people need to stop saying Samsung makes cheap or bad phones because they're plastic. I don't even have a Samsung phone.

I love the Kevlar Moto puts on Droids. I think it's light, strong, doesn't break or mark up easily, and feels good in the hand.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can understand back pocket....because you will be sitting on the phone. But front pocket? A phone is expected to bend in the front pocket? Tight pants....maybe. I have actually forgotten I had smartphones in my front pocket at times when sitting. I know as soon as I sit when its in my back pocket tho.

Pretty soon there will be comparisons with other Android phones that bent. All I know is the Note 3 survived his test. I think the Droid RAZR screen would've cracked.. I almost hate thin phones now. Mine never cracked when when I sat on it.....thicker phones just feel better to hold in the hand to me.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't see the bending happening in the front pocket. My i6+ has lived in my front pocket without a case since I got it last week and it is not bending.

I have my Note 3 in the back pocket just like it has been since launch day. The i6+ is longer in height causing it to stick out of my back pocket so I didn't trust it to stay in there so I keep it in the front pocket.

I can totally see where it would cave in if you sat on it since it is made out of a light weight metal that is also very thin.

Thankfully Apple decided to stick with those hugemongous bezels which in turn made me decide to break the back pocket habit or I would have definitely been in this same situation.

These people are trying to BS their way into a free replacement.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The Evo LTE also bent while in people's "front pocket".