The Nexus 7 has Been Pulled From the Google Play Store

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus7-pulled-from-play-store.png

It looks like Google has finally decided to retire the Nexus 7 (at least for now). They pulled the device from the Play Store, and only the Nexus 9 is available. While you can still find the tablet in inventory at other retailers, that is just going to be back stock. Unless Google plans to create an all new Nexus 7 in the future, it looks like it will be put to rest.

It's a shame to see it go, because the 7-inch form factor is just perfect for some folks, but there are still very capable Android tablets at that size available. The NVIDIA Shield is a prime example with internal specs which are actually superior to the Nexus 7 (although at a higher price).

Source: Google Play Store

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree completely with your sentiment that it's a great size for a tablet. That was my initial thought when I first heard this news. I hope they decide to make another tablet in that size range in addition to the nexus 9 by the time I decide to replace my nexus 7.

It really is the perfect size for reading and light web browsing. Of course, since my phone's got a 5.7" screen, I guess I'm not really getting THAT much extra real estate, but it feels different to use the tablet.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is, of course, assuming that they aren't already working on a 'new new' Nexus 7. If they do, I called it!
That's kinda what I'm hoping, but I also know that it could just be because the lollipop update has caused some issues with these older devices for some users, so maybe they're just putting it to rest before they get any farther along with updates.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
While I love our two Nexus 7's, I'm thinking the 9" form factor is really the perfect size for a tablet.
That said, we won't be upgrading anytime soon simply because my 2012 N7 is bulletproof, and my SO's 2013 model is running great too. (and she uses hers everyday, as opposed to only once or twice a week for mine)
Both are rooted and we haven't upgraded either to Lollipop simply because of all the issues reported since its release on the N7.

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm not sure I want a Nexus 9. The 7 has been great for me. I datalog with it in the car during events. Finding places to keep it from flying around the car is already a challenge.

Reactions: cr6