The "New" New Phone Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by Trusstopher, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ConqSoft

ConqSoft Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
  2. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
  3. compchick813

compchick813 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Yeah, what classifies a superphone?

5. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I super phone is any high end phone that hasnt came out yet....lol

I cant see how some ppl dont classify the Atrix as a super phone. Just based on the laptop dock alone I would call it one. The first of the super phones already came out at the beginning of this year with the Atrix, GS2, EVO 3D...maybe even the first dual core phone in the US, the LG 2x.

6. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Not sure about those being superphones. I think we're still waiting to see the first "true" one. I think a true superphone needs to scream WOW in every sense of the word. The GSII is the closest I've seen to this, but I don't think we're quite there. I think if not the Vigor, the Prime will be this WOW phone. Hell, maybe both?

7. Trusstopher

Ratings:
    +84
    The problem with that concept is the "small step" mentality that most manufactures adhere to most of the time. Each iteration of phone technology that get's released to the masses should only be a small step better than the last generation to maximize profits. Why go from version 1 to version 3 when you can make money on version 2. The only exception I could see on this is company A jumping straight to Version 2.5 to get a leg up on the competition. With being said, people who are ready to get rid of their Razr Flip phone will have that "WOW" moment, but the more frequently one upgrades their phone and/or follows what is being released, the less likely there will ever be a "wow" moment when a phone actually drops.

8. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    True. It really comes down to timing in my opinion. When specs leak too early, it softens the impact later on. Delays are the ultimate killer. Bionic is the perfect example. Last spring, the Bionic was "the superphone." Delays occurred and the majority of the rumored specs were known for nearly 6 months. The rest of the phones caught up in terms of specs and now the Bionic, while a great device, is just an average top-tier phone.

The Prime on the other hand, feels different for some reason. Maybe because it's Google's baby and we know it's coming out very soon. The rumored specs are cutting edge but Google has been so tight lipped about this that it still leaves plenty of anticipation for what this device will actually ship with. The Vigor and the Prime both have suspected specs that put them in the superphone category right now. If they release on time (the Vigor in early October and the Prime in late Oct-early Nov) I believe they will earn this title.

9. Trusstopher

Ratings:
    +84
    Agreed.

On another note: While I don't think it will turn out to be true, it is a rumor, so I'm adding this link to the Droid HD section and updating it to be possibly be called the Droid Razr until we hear or see otherwise...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ay-hint-new-droid-razr-phone.html#post1741285

10. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +54
    Well if the new snapdragon is what it appears the first device that is on the receiving end of this 2.5 ghz (up to 4 cores) CPU will truly be the first superphone, rumors have the first android devices running the new snapdragon will be available early as January....but I assume it will be a tablet.

11. Trusstopher

Ratings:
    +84
    And here I am holding out the "super phone badge" for those Octa-core phones that are around the corner... that or the one that just integrates straight into our brain stem and allows us to communicate via our mind!

12. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +105
    As long as they can keep them cool and decent battery life I'm looking forward to 4+ processors. I'm holding out on updating my D2 for something maybe quad/octa-core :) I love my D2 and can't bring myself to part with it haha. Plus the challanges brought on by the super phones should be fun. Its gonna be something I'm tuned in on for sure

Sent from my Liberated D2