Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Seems like its there because ICS isnt ready yet. Hopefully that'll change.

Phandroid said:
Apparently, Ice Cream Sandwich is still getting the bugs ironed out and isn’t quite ready to come out of the freezer just yet. Hence, the reason for the strange homescreen button on this early, presumably developer handset.

Oxymoron

Reaction score
Thanks, Truss. Subscribed.

*customized tapatalk signature*

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The whole thing sounds fishy. I know in a nut shell, most everything we've heard about this phone up to this point has been purely rumor, but "this" rumor goes against a few of the "well established" rumors we've come to know and dream about.

The fact that this phone is running gingerbread is odd. I don't know how testing works with manufacturers but wouldn't it make more sense to test the phone with the os it was meant to get? Unless they're purely testing hardware here, then I guess the single home/back button makes sense. The button could be present merely for testing purposes only since it would be nearly impossible to properly test a buttonless phone running gingerbread. Some form of a back or home button is needed in some cases.

It appears both cameras got a bump as well. Rear 5mp > 8mp. Front 1mp > 2mp.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The whole thing sounds fishy. I know in a nut shell, most everything we've heard about this phone up to this point has been purely rumor, but "this" rumor goes against a few of the "well established" rumors we've come to know and dream about.

The fact that this phone is running gingerbread is odd. I don't know how testing works with manufacturers but wouldn't it make more sense to test the phone with the os it was meant to get? Unless they're purely testing hardware here, then I guess the single home/back button makes sense. The button could be present merely for testing purposes only since it would be nearly impossible to properly test a buttonless phone running gingerbread. Some form of a back or home button is needed in some cases.

It appears both cameras got a bump as well. Rear 5mp > 8mp. Front 1mp > 2mp.

There are softkey apps out currently, not impossible they are simply testing gingerbread compatibility but why wasn't soft keys mentioned by the person that "actually" held this mythical device known as the prime.

tc1

Reaction score
It's between the prime and vigor for me.

I really wish we could know for sure whether or not Verizon will keep It's bloat inducing hands off of the prime. I would wait for it then.

On the other hand I actually like HTC's sense interface for the most part.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Both links have been added...

These stories seem pretty plausable and line up with what droidfan11 said in his post, but I wouldn't think a single hard button would be something you could just "add in" this far into development. The more I think about it though, it's possible that the phone this guy had was developed specifically for testing hardware meant for the prime, but running GB because ICS wasn't even close enough to being "field ready."

The thing I am getting tired of are these blog writers seeing a bit of rumored info and immediately declaring fact, i.e.: Rumored GSM and CDMA = Coming to all carriers for sure. It's pretty amazing to step through a story that has been picked up and sourced through like 5 different blogs/sites and if you compare the end article to the first, you find you palm firmly planted to your face.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I super phone is any high end phone that hasnt came out yet....lol

I cant see how some ppl dont classify the Atrix as a super phone. Just based on the laptop dock alone I would call it one. The first of the super phones already came out at the beginning of this year with the Atrix, GS2, EVO 3D...maybe even the first dual core phone in the US, the LG 2x.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I super phone is any high end phone that hasnt came out yet....lol

I cant see how some ppl dont classify the Atrix as a super phone. Just based on the laptop dock alone I would call it one. The first of the super phones already came out at the beginning of this year with the Atrix, GS2, EVO 3D...maybe even the first dual core phone in the US, the LG 2x.

Not sure about those being superphones. I think we're still waiting to see the first "true" one. I think a true superphone needs to scream WOW in every sense of the word. The GSII is the closest I've seen to this, but I don't think we're quite there. I think if not the Vigor, the Prime will be this WOW phone. Hell, maybe both?

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about those being superphones. I think we're still waiting to see the first "true" one. I think a true superphone needs to scream WOW in every sense of the word. The GSII is the closest I've seen to this, but I don't think we're quite there. I think if not the Vigor, the Prime will be this WOW phone. Hell, maybe both?

The problem with that concept is the "small step" mentality that most manufactures adhere to most of the time. Each iteration of phone technology that get's released to the masses should only be a small step better than the last generation to maximize profits. Why go from version 1 to version 3 when you can make money on version 2. The only exception I could see on this is company A jumping straight to Version 2.5 to get a leg up on the competition. With being said, people who are ready to get rid of their Razr Flip phone will have that "WOW" moment, but the more frequently one upgrades their phone and/or follows what is being released, the less likely there will ever be a "wow" moment when a phone actually drops.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem with that concept is the "small step" mentality that most manufactures adhere to most of the time. Each iteration of phone technology that get's released to the masses should only be a small step better than the last generation to maximize profits. Why go from version 1 to version 3 when you can make money on version 2. The only exception I could see on this is company A jumping straight to Version 2.5 to get a leg up on the competition. With being said, people who are ready to get rid of their Razr Flip phone will have that "WOW" moment, but the more frequently one upgrades their phone and/or follows what is being released, the less likely there will ever be a "wow" moment when a phone actually drops.

True. It really comes down to timing in my opinion. When specs leak too early, it softens the impact later on. Delays are the ultimate killer. Bionic is the perfect example. Last spring, the Bionic was "the superphone." Delays occurred and the majority of the rumored specs were known for nearly 6 months. The rest of the phones caught up in terms of specs and now the Bionic, while a great device, is just an average top-tier phone.

The Prime on the other hand, feels different for some reason. Maybe because it's Google's baby and we know it's coming out very soon. The rumored specs are cutting edge but Google has been so tight lipped about this that it still leaves plenty of anticipation for what this device will actually ship with. The Vigor and the Prime both have suspected specs that put them in the superphone category right now. If they release on time (the Vigor in early October and the Prime in late Oct-early Nov) I believe they will earn this title.

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True. It really comes down to timing in my opinion. When specs leak too early, it softens the impact later on. Delays are the ultimate killer. Bionic is the perfect example. Last spring, the Bionic was "the superphone." Delays occurred and the majority of the rumored specs were known for nearly 6 months. The rest of the phones caught up in terms of specs and now the Bionic, while a great device, is just an average top-tier phone.

The Prime on the other hand, feels different for some reason. Maybe because it's Google's baby and we know it's coming out very soon. The rumored specs are cutting edge but Google has been so tight lipped about this that it still leaves plenty of anticipation for what this device will actually ship with. The Vigor and the Prime both have suspected specs that put them in the superphone category right now. If they release on time (the Vigor in early October and the Prime in late Oct-early Nov) I believe they will earn this title.

Agreed.

On another note: While I don't think it will turn out to be true, it is a rumor, so I'm adding this link to the Droid HD section and updating it to be possibly be called the Droid Razr until we hear or see otherwise...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ay-hint-new-droid-razr-phone.html#post1741285