The "New" New Phone Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by Trusstopher, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I super phone is any high end phone that hasnt came out yet....lol

I cant see how some ppl dont classify the Atrix as a super phone. Just based on the laptop dock alone I would call it one. The first of the super phones already came out at the beginning of this year with the Atrix, GS2, EVO 3D...maybe even the first dual core phone in the US, the LG 2x.
  2. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Not sure about those being superphones. I think we're still waiting to see the first "true" one. I think a true superphone needs to scream WOW in every sense of the word. The GSII is the closest I've seen to this, but I don't think we're quite there. I think if not the Vigor, the Prime will be this WOW phone. Hell, maybe both?
  3. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator

The problem with that concept is the "small step" mentality that most manufactures adhere to most of the time. Each iteration of phone technology that get's released to the masses should only be a small step better than the last generation to maximize profits. Why go from version 1 to version 3 when you can make money on version 2. The only exception I could see on this is company A jumping straight to Version 2.5 to get a leg up on the competition. With being said, people who are ready to get rid of their Razr Flip phone will have that "WOW" moment, but the more frequently one upgrades their phone and/or follows what is being released, the less likely there will ever be a "wow" moment when a phone actually drops.
  4. sbenson

sbenson New Member

True. It really comes down to timing in my opinion. When specs leak too early, it softens the impact later on. Delays are the ultimate killer. Bionic is the perfect example. Last spring, the Bionic was "the superphone." Delays occurred and the majority of the rumored specs were known for nearly 6 months. The rest of the phones caught up in terms of specs and now the Bionic, while a great device, is just an average top-tier phone.

The Prime on the other hand, feels different for some reason. Maybe because it's Google's baby and we know it's coming out very soon. The rumored specs are cutting edge but Google has been so tight lipped about this that it still leaves plenty of anticipation for what this device will actually ship with. The Vigor and the Prime both have suspected specs that put them in the superphone category right now. If they release on time (the Vigor in early October and the Prime in late Oct-early Nov) I believe they will earn this title.
  5. Trusstopher

Agreed.

On another note: While I don't think it will turn out to be true, it is a rumor, so I'm adding this link to the Droid HD section and updating it to be possibly be called the Droid Razr until we hear or see otherwise...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ay-hint-new-droid-razr-phone.html#post1741285
  6. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Well if the new snapdragon is what it appears the first device that is on the receiving end of this 2.5 ghz (up to 4 cores) CPU will truly be the first superphone, rumors have the first android devices running the new snapdragon will be available early as January....but I assume it will be a tablet.
  7. Trusstopher

And here I am holding out the "super phone badge" for those Octa-core phones that are around the corner... that or the one that just integrates straight into our brain stem and allows us to communicate via our mind!
  8. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

As long as they can keep them cool and decent battery life I'm looking forward to 4+ processors. I'm holding out on updating my D2 for something maybe quad/octa-core :) I love my D2 and can't bring myself to part with it haha. Plus the challanges brought on by the super phones should be fun. Its gonna be something I'm tuned in on for sure

Sent from my Liberated D2
  9. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Battery life is where development has stood still for much too long. I assume a quad-core device should have better battery life than previous iterations of the same architecture...but where is my battery that can charge from cellular radiation or some other long distance wireless method?

Note to manufacturers: We would like to make it through a full day of heavy use without worry about carrying a charger around. (superphone badge or no)
  10. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

Amen. There has to be better battery technology besides lithium ion batteries. Military or Darpa Technologies has devoloped something that is worth while

Sent from my Liberated D2
  11. patriot95

patriot95 New Member

They just don't get it. There should be a LOT more development dollars going into batteries. Making them more efficient and flexible. I too can't wait for the day when I can get through an entire day of heavy use.
  12. Trusstopher

If the matrix can run off of human's as batteries, why can't my phone??
  13. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Now would it be like an osmosis thing or would we have to be tethered to the phone/device? Or are we talking like straight up storing human batteries in those sweet holding tanks lol.

I could not agree more with prime though, it seems everything else gets better where battery stays still or gets worse.
  14. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

15. roach

roach Member

============================================================================================
    the smartphone’s predecessors, the Nexus One and Nexus S, were distributed by AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint, Verizon did not sell the handsets. However, a new report claims the nation’s largest network will be getting the Nexus Prime.
    Google Nexus Prime Set for October Launch
  16. Trusstopher

17. Trusstopher

Correct... note that the source of that article is BGR, which is listed in the "related links" and also, the part before what you highlighted in my post that said "Majority say its Coming to all major carriers" I have both listed because both are rumors right now. I don't pick and choose which rumors I post or only post the one's I believe, I post everything that I come across or that is posted here until it is disproven with something official.
  18. Trusstopher

I said this over in the Vigor SF:

Something about calling a higher resolution screen "more powerful" just doesn't seem right to me

But the more I think about it: someone that would fake a doc like this would probably know that... this seems more like a mistake a non-techie PR person who was told to hype up a product would make
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  19. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    GAH!:r_c: ... I'm so torn... =P This is what you get for reading phone rumors. :D I've been waiting since the first release time to get the bionic. Now I'm not sure whether to just get the Bionic now from Costco (with the 30 day return policy) or just plain wait... I really like the Vigor, and I'll probably eventually be going with that when it comes,,, oh but then there's the prime. xD Do y'all think I should go with the Bionic now and return later for prime or vigor or just wait? =P I figure I have an upgrade I might as well use it! =)
  20. TheCereal

TheCereal New Member